GDT: AHL Playoffs - Albany Devils vs. Toronto Marlies: Game One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It seemed like he was hit a bit unsuspecting after passing or dumping the puck in the neutral zone.

Couldn't really see the hit on the camera but you could definitely see the Toronto guy targeting him and he wasn't ready.

Oh...thanks. I didn't see it. That sucks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope we don't wind up regretting sending the four or five guys home we did...how many on the taxi squad do we have left now? Still 7-8?

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Fun game to watch. Albany plays with such a high intensity. Wedgewood was a wall.

PP looks quite bad, especially zone entries. MAG is awful. Blandisi was invisible when not taking dumb penalties.

Hope Zacha is okay. Good game from him. His two-way game is really underrated. Still think he needs to shot more, dude got a bomb, but rarely uses it.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sometimes a bad game teaches just as well as a good one. Also a won against a very tough and deep team can't be understated.

Sure, and, as I said, a win's a win, especially in the playoffs. I just think the team is going to need to step it up another level to get more wins against Toronto. A win tonight was good, but the team still needs to improve, and I get less excited about a career AHLer doing well than somebody I think could have an NHL future. I'm ultimately a Devils fan, not an Albany fan, so a Boucher goal makes me a lot happier than an O'Neil goal.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Any news about Zacha? I'm worried about him. Wish we weren't short on beat writers. I feel like TG would've reported something about it if he were still around:(

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fun game to watch. Albany plays with such a high intensity. Wedgewood was a wall.

PP looks quite bad, especially zone entries. MAG is awful. Blandisi was invisible when not taking dumb penalties.

Hope Zacha is okay. Good game from him. His two-way game is really underrated. Still think he needs to shot more, dude got a bomb, but rarely uses it.

I didn't watch but box score says 3 sog's. Whose line was he on?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I didn't watch but box score says 3 sog's. Whose line was he on?

O'Brien got hurt 5 seconds into the game and Pietila had to shift to C after like 5 or so minutes into the game. Lines changed a lot. Whole forward group sans Lorito was invisible due to that. The lines were going to be:

Boucher - O'Brien - O'Neill
Lorito - Zacha - Lappin
Pietila - Blandisi - Sislo
Thomson - Pelley - Thompson

But for the majority of the game, they were just whatever was the freshest group at that given time. Chemistry as a forward group definitely seemed off due to that.

Also a point of note, Kowalsky said that he moved Zacha up to the second line in an article posted yesterday and is on the CHL prospects thread.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We had 29 sog's as a team, were they predominantly low threat?

With an early lead were we playing more conservative for much of the game?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We had 29 sog's as a team, were they predominantly low threat?

With an early lead were we playing more conservative for much of the game?

Sounds like after O'Brian went down they had to basically cobble together the best effort they could despite not having enough chemistry at forward.

Wedge was apparently really solid.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wedgewood won the game last night, that was obvious even with only the audio feed.

I'm not disagreeing... but there was a very good concerted effort to play team defense last night. I'm not sure I want to give ALL the credit to just one guy.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not disagreeing... but there was a very good concerted effort to play team defense last night. I'm not sure I want to give ALL the credit to just one guy.

Ya I got the impression that was how it went down, but Wedge was still extremely solid.

It was a joint effort. I'm a big believer in a goalie being more of a cog in the system more than a product of it. To me, Brodeur was far more of a reason the trap was so successful with his rebound control and puck-handling than he was a product of it.

In a lot of ways, Quick and Wedgewood are pretty comparable at their respective levels. A big, defensively sound team with a goalie that is incredibly quick with strong reflexes. It works because the style of the team and goalie compliment each other so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad