Age transformation of the Devils this off-season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
With Lee Stempniak's signing today, who else saw the jokes about him being a youngster on the team coming?? Of course, the Devils are old and full of veterans..

Actually, Stempniak is the ~3rd oldest player on the Devils at age 32. Technically the 4th oldest as Tootoo is just 2 days older. Only Elias (39) and Cammalleri (33) are veterans to Stempniak.

Devils have 8 players over age 30.. with only 3 signed past this year:
Elias (39), 1 year remaining
Cammalleri (33), 4 years remaining
Stempniak (32), 1 year remaining
Tootoo (32), 1 year remaining
Ruutu (32), 1 year remaining
Greene (32), 5 years remaining
Gionta (31), 1 year remaining
Zajac (30), 6 years remaining

Consider the opening night roster. Elias will start the season on IR so Cammalleri will be the oldest active Devil at age 33 while Jagr (42) was oldest last year.

Contrast this to last year's opening night roster, which included (age at this time last year):
Jagr (42), traded
Salvador (38), not signed
Elias (38), still here
Zidlicky (37), traded
Clemmensen (37), not signed
Zubrus (36), bought out
Ryder (34), not signed
Havlat (33), not signed

Cammalleri, the oldest Devil this year on the opening night roster, was the 9th oldest Devil this time last year.

So feel free to continue calling the Devils old as it's just a classic.. but things have changed big time in the age department in just one off-season.

Note: Not counting Clowe here as he is effectively retired.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yup. I don't expect the team to necessarily do better this year than last year, but it should be more entertaining, and its definitely a good sign for the near future (next few seasons).

Justin St Pierre

Dec 16, 2011
The Devils have gotten younger, but oh, how the fans will age waiting for them to score a goal.

To be honest, I'm actually really excited for Stempniak to be on the team.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
They are rebuilding well. I could see them adding another top-5 pick this year. Their young D is already pretty exciting, and they have a great goalie in Schneider. Just need to shore up those forwards. Zacha is a good start. Will Matteau make the team this year?

I think trading Henrique and Zajac for a good haul would be great for them.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
They are rebuilding well. I could see them adding another top-5 pick this year. Their young D is already pretty exciting, and they have a great goalie in Schneider. Just need to shore up those forwards. Zacha is a good start. Will Matteau make the team this year?

I think trading Henrique and Zajac for a good haul would be great for them.

Trading Henrique especially makes no sense.. he's 25 years old and easily a part of the solution. Why would a team starving for young offensive forwards trade one of their best young offensive forwards?

Trading Zajac right now is tough as it would force lots of kids to play way above their level... and I'm not sure he'd bring back the value to be worth it.

Matteau would have to clear waivers so it's pretty much guaranteed he makes the team this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad