After the Horn with Andy Frost

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
18 years is a looooong time to just can it like that. I honestly enjoyed it. Too bad. I thought it might be bigger news since it was a such a tradition for so many fans.

Problem is, what's Mike In Buffalo's purpose in life now? ;)

Podcasting, where every nutter with a microphone can have their own show.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
He does a lot of work with Eklund now with his hockey buzz show.

Eklund is just a sports parody blog...kind of like the WWE/WWF is just a parody of real wrestling. I thought Mike was just an honest dude who kept calling Andy Frost every night after the game- I didn't picture him to be associated with fake/fabricated hockey news

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

Shutting down places where angry fans can vent in both the call in show and the official message boards. Seems like a form of muzzling. Most teams want their fans to engage with each other.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Where am I going to hear endless loops of "Enter Sandman" now?

I mostly enjoyed the show. Mike from Buffalo made good points, but something about his voice, and the fact that I would often listen to this show in bed on the clock radio, made for great lullaby material.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Shutting down places where angry fans can vent in both the call in show and the official message boards. Seems like a form of muzzling. Most teams want their fans to engage with each other.

I don't believe either Rogers or Bell owns AM640, so they would have no say in whether the show continued or not.

Seems more likely that since both 590 and 1050, (Rogers & Bell) have extensive post game shows, the landscape was too crowded for the 640 show and Chorus decided it wasn't economically viable any more.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I don't believe either Rogers or Bell owns AM640, so they would have no say in whether the show continued or not.

Seems more likely that since both 590 and 1050, (Rogers & Bell) have extensive post game shows, the landscape was too crowded for the 640 show and Chorus decided it wasn't economically viable any more.

When Rogers and Bell bought the team he said he wasn't sure if he would be back due to them purchasing the team.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Leafs Lunch is a good one. Someone sent a message from Montreal asking for them to talk about something new and said something like todays show was boring or whatever so Hayes said "we'll talk about something new, how about after the break we talk about how bad Montreal is without Price"

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
When Rogers and Bell bought the team he said he wasn't sure if he would be back due to them purchasing the team.

My guess is that he was simply reading the writing on the wall. Radio rights to Leafs were to be shared between the FAN and TSN 1050 and both stations were going to do post-game shows with full Leafs branding (something that is clearly only available to rights holders -- hence, TSN's "Blue and White Lunch" [I think that was the title] from the days before the Rogers/Bell purchase). So, I can see that there would be doubts about whether or not AM 640 would continue with an unbranded post-game show -- which they did end up doing for a few years.

In any event, I don't think Frost was implying that Rogers and/or Bell was going to force AM 640 to shut down his show, but rather that the soon to be crowded market might bring an end to it.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
My guess is that he was simply reading the writing on the wall. Radio rights to Leafs were to be shared between the FAN and TSN 1050 and both stations were going to do post-game shows with full Leafs branding (something that is clearly only available to rights holders -- hence, TSN's "Blue and White Lunch" [I think that was the title] from the days before the Rogers/Bell purchase). So, I can see that there would be doubts about whether or not AM 640 would continue with an unbranded post-game show -- which they did end up doing for a few years.

In any event, I don't think Frost was implying that Rogers and/or Bell was going to force AM 640 to shut down his show, but rather that the soon to be crowded market might bring an end to it.

Seems more likely than a Rogers/Bell conspiracy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad