After the dust settles on the offseason, what team will get the worst grade?

What team will look most foolish?

• Total voters

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Flyers, Rangers, or Oilers take this. Blackhawks not far behind
I like the Ellis trade. Don't mind the Atkinson trade. Hate the Risto trade. LOVE the Jones signing because that's just hilarious that the worst goalie in the league went to Philly of all places.

The big thing is I don't think they signed any albatross deals. A bunch of teams didn't get a whole lot better now and are going to have bad contracts on the books for 5-7 years going forward, while Philly avoided that. I don't think they can be the biggest loser when they largely stayed out of FA.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I like the Ellis trade. Don't mind the Atkinson trade. Hate the Risto trade. LOVE the Jones signing because that's just hilarious that the worst goalie in the league went to Philly of all places.

The big thing is I don't think they signed any albatross deals. A bunch of teams didn't get a whole lot better now and are going to have bad contracts on the books for 5-7 years going forward, while Philly avoided that. I don't think they can be the biggest loser when they largely stayed out of FA.
They paid future assets (Myers, Patrick, 1st, and two seconds) to marginally improve the defense. And they signed arguably the worst goalie on the market. If that's not terrible then I don't know what is.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I mean, its kind of destiny isn't it?

Reactions: Lt Dan

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
They paid future assets (Myers, Patrick, 1st, and two seconds) to marginally improve the defense. And they signed arguably the worst goalie on the market. If that's not terrible then I don't know what is.
At some point futures are futures. Philly thinks they can take the next step, and they're going for it.

The big thing that I like is they don't have one of those 6x6 contracts clogging the books for a third liner who will be a fourth liner by year 3 of the deal. I wouldn't call them "winners", but they're a better on-ice team today than they were at the end of last season, no matter what they paid.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Thats stretching it.

The last two years they were a top 12 and top 11 team. They got better this year, how is that stretching it? Come on man, don’t confuse this team with the Eakins era.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
At some point futures are futures. Philly thinks they can take the next step, and they're going for it.

The big thing that I like is they don't have one of those 6x6 contracts clogging the books for a third liner who will be a fourth liner by year 3 of the deal. I wouldn't call them "winners", but they're a better on-ice team today than they were at the end of last season, no matter what they paid.
The major question - is the core of Couturier, Ellis, Giroux, Provorov, Hayes, Farabee, Konecny, and Hart good enough to win the Cup? If you think the answer to that is yes, then sure, go for it. I assume most people think the answer is no, so why pay future assets to find out?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The major question - is the core of Couturier, Ellis, Giroux, Provorov, Hayes, Farabee, Konecny, and Hart good enough to win the Cup? If you think the answer to that is yes, then sure, go for it. I assume most people think the answer is no, so why pay future assets to find out?
So you and me sitting here? Obviously we think the answer is no.

Front office disagrees - and they probably should. If you only act when you're a top-tier contender, the league gets really boring with four teams trying every season and 28 trying to accumulate draft picks. They're taking a swing in a division where the former top tier teams are aging out of their window, and the other teams are at various stages of going for it but probably not ready yet. If not now, then when?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe I'm anti homer voting here but Vegas dumping Fleury's salary to eat up most of it on Dadonov strikes me as one of if not the stupidest moves they've ever made as a franchise.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
So you and me sitting here? Obviously we think the answer is no.

Front office disagrees - and they probably should. If you only act when you're a top-tier contender, the league gets really boring with four teams trying every season and 28 trying to accumulate draft picks. They're taking a swing in a division where the former top tier teams are aging out of their window, and the other teams are at various stages of going for it but probably not ready yet. If not now, then when?
Yeah. They have internal pressure (ownership) to compete year in year out. The arena is already a morgue after nearly a decade of mediocrity and I don't think ownership would like what they saw if they entered a real rebuild, which is what it would take. We're talking about TONS of empty seats, which we already started to see pre-COVID. Philly is one of the more bandwagon(y) sports cities. See the Sixers and Phillies when they suck.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Kraken but maybe that's by design.

Edmonton, Philly, Vancouver, and Chicago are all kind of a mixed bag. All made some big gambles but a couple could work out. Lou should have been able to find some more scoring I think but maybe he's got something up his sleeve. Minny and NYR I have no idea what they're up to. It's probably Buffalo by default after having to trade their franchise player.

As for best I like what the Blues and Panthers got done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad