Value of: Adrian Kempe to NYR

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Solid, fast winger who would fit perfectly with this new Rangers group. Im assuming the price would be relatively high, but since the Kings are in compete mode. Maybe something around Names or Vesey + 28 and possibly something else?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
No, it's the other way. As a competitive team up against the cap, we need cost certainty for our other role players beyond our top stars and contracts. If you ask for Kempe, assume you must also take Phaneuf and possibly Thompson as a cap dump at the very least. Otherwise Kempe is the exact kind of players the Kings need right now.

Even a top ten pick in this year's draft wouldn't do it (6-10).

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Solid, fast winger who would fit perfectly with this new Rangers group. Im assuming the price would be relatively high, but since the Kings are in compete mode. Maybe something around Names or Vesey + 28 and possibly something else?

The Kings are working on competing and have been tight with the cap for a few years, why on earth would we move a guy like Kempe who helps our offense and is fairly cheap? Yea we wouldn’t as he fits perfectly with the Kings group.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I think that offer would be beat easily and by something that would best fit LA's needs.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
No, it's the other way. As a competitive team up against the cap, we need cost certainty for our other role players beyond our top stars and contracts. If you ask for Kempe, assume you must also take Phaneuf and possibly Thompson as a cap dump at the very least. Otherwise Kempe is the exact kind of players the Kings need right now.

The rangers will gladly take Kemp’s, Dion and Thompson in exchange for Namestnikov

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

We will not be attaching Kempe with a contract you want to move. He is what the Kings need, young skilled forwards. The only thing that gets me to move Kempe is for an upgrade with team control.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

LA's main need is young fast forwards. So unless it's a massive overpay I do not see Kempe being sent out.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
LA is not getting Tavares!

You know the Kings are attached to every significant scoring forward available out there? If we get any of them and hope to keep Doughty, we'll need some cap space.

That being said, I'm not looking to trade Kempe AT ALL. I'm just trying to explain to the OP that he has the wrong idea if he thinks just because the Kings are in win now mode, that we'd be interested in trading our young, cost-controlled forward, no matter how good the fit may be for NYR.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The only reason we'd be dumping cap is to get a fully controlled asset like a significant signed UFA.

You know the Kings are attached to every significant scoring forward available out there? If we get any of them and hope to keep Doughty, we'll need some cap space.

That being said, I'm not looking to trade Kempe AT ALL. I'm just trying to explain to the OP that he has the wrong idea if he thinks just because the Kings are in win now mode, that we'd be interested in trading our young, cost-controlled forward, no matter how good the fit may be for NYR.

Don't immediately see matching pieces, but how much cap would you expect us to eat?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

Woah. I did not realize he has that much value. Didn’t he not reach 40 points? He must be hiding something crazy for someone who has 43 career points in 106 games to not merit a 6-10 pick in a stacked and deep draft.

EDIT: not trying to say he’s bad or that he’s got no value- but to say a top 10 pick would not get him is just wrong. Simmonds typically scores around as many goals as Kemp’s had in points (he has like 3-4 goals less), and Simmonds isn’t worth a top 10 pick. Kempe is like 5 years younger too.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Don't immediately see matching pieces, but how much cap would you expect us to eat?
Good question. The problem currently is, while we kick tires on everyone from Tavares to guys we don't even know their availability like ROR, we may need space for 11.5 mil to 6/7 mil. Basically we'd have to get back on that one. We won't consider this deal unless we have no choice.

I will say this, if the option we go is 6 mil or less, we will have no need to deal Kempe in a desperate move to make cap room in my guesstimation. Any deal to deal Kempe to dump cap will be a desperation move.

member 88115

Woah. I did not realize he has that much value. Didn’t he not reach 40 points? He must be hiding something crazy for someone who has 43 career points in 106 games to not merit a 6-10 pick in a stacked and deep draft.

EDIT: not trying to say he’s bad or that he’s got no value- but to say a top 10 pick would not get him is just wrong. Simmonds typically scores around as many goals as Kemp’s had in points (he has like 3-4 goals less), and Simmonds isn’t worth a top 10 pick. Kempe is like 5 years younger too.
Kempe is like 8 years younger on the up swing and a Center with contract that is not going to require 5 Million + to resign after next season. I don't see the Simmonds comparison.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Good question. The problem currently is, while we kick tires on everyone from Tavares to guys we don't even know their availability like ROR, we may need space for 11.5 mil to 6/7 mil. Basically we'd have to get back on that one. We won't consider this deal unless we have no choice.

I will say this, if the option we go is 6 mil or less, we will have no need to deal Kempe in a desperate move to make cap room in my guesstimation. Any deal to deal Kempe to dump cap will be a desperation move.

And even then there are other players that would be moved before Kempe if we were looking to dump some cap. You don’t move your younger and cheaper players to make cap room.

Reactions: King Trouty

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

When we, the HF Kings fans, look at what we need and who we have along with how little space we'll have after signing Doughty, we keep hoping every young forward prospect on the team turns out to look as promising as Kempe. Kempe is like the prototype young scoring forward to us, who is responsible on the ice while being cost controlled.

On the other ends of the spectrum are Toffoli and Pearson, pricey for their disappointing seasons and older, and then we have guys like Brodzinsky and Iafallo who are somewhat unproven at the NHL level. And then we have Vilardi who we hope is as good as Kempe in his first season. Basically we have a lot of question marks, which is why the Kings front office is looking for a big time proven scorer, an exclamation point if you will.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Even for an overpay I have a hard time seeing it with how little wiggle room we have with the cap.
LA has what $6m in space with a 20 man roster already. Lots of cap space to fill out final 3 spots. It sounds LA is going to be going after a top 6 winger in a deal, and I would think some money on D would be part of a package going the other way.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
LA has what $6m in space with a 20 man roster already. Lots of cap space to fill out final 3 spots. It sounds LA is going to be going after a top 6 winger in a deal, and I would think some money on D would be part of a package going the other way.

Sure. My feeling is that the front office wants to add a lot offensive power to the forward corps while keeping costs within our cap. So trading a player like Kempe who provides cost-controlled offense as a forward would be very unlikely to be dealt. The only scenario I can imagine is if LA adds either one huge asset that can generate offense, such as Tavares or even Karlsson, or two medium pieces like Pacioretty, O'Reilly and Kovalchuk. Both of those are remote chances but are possible. That would be enough offense added and cap added to facilitate the need to unload a ton of cap plus a lesser offensive talent like Kempe.

In other words, it's very unlikely to happen.

Also I'm one of the guys who would rather add a 2nd pair offensive RH PMD instead, to help enable some of our rookie and slumping wingers.

Reactions: kingsofLA

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

Kempe just needs some consistency. Not saying he is Alex Kovalev but he had flashes of brilliance last year. Much like you saw with Kovalev before he broke out. Kempe could easily be a 20-30-50 guy next year if puts it all together.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Let's see a rookie that's moved to center after being a wing most of his playing time Having to jump into the number 2 role because Carter went down.
Don't know where he will finally end up but I would say he has a lot of upside. And is cost controlled for another year

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018

So you expect the Kings who don't score as it is to trade a 21 year old, first round pick who scored well for them last year? I think not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad