Proposal: Additional Calgary Needs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary has $870,750 TDL cap space + $750,000/$800,000/$900,000 from Stone/Richardson/Ritchie to work with at the deadline (since one of them would have to be waived to be at 23 again). So we are looking at a range of $1,620,750 - 1,770,750 in cap space.

I don't see Calgary doing much more this season barring a major injury so we are probably just looking at a depth move. Like unless something starts to pick up around a player like Miller or Scheifele then Calgary probably stays the course.

Personally I would be looking at a RD that can fill in effectively if Tanev, Ras, or Guddy we to go down. Troy Stecher is my personal choice. He was solid at IIHF last year with Mange and also being a former Canuck is an added bonus. He's a smaller guy so he doesn't exactly fit the Sutter mold but I would want someone cheap who can in theory play 15+ minutes a night effectively in a top 4 role. I would not want to bump either of Zadorov or Gudbranson up to top 4.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Maybe an upgrade at C.

Monahan has been better lately but isn't exactly suited for the game that this team likes to deploy. Also him playing on the third line isn't suited for his skill set.

Monahan would be better suited to play with a team where he can get top 6 minutes and play with a playmaking winger.

If a team needs a PP player and also is lacking a scoring center he could be an option.

Calgary would be looking for a gritty two way center in return. This player could even be a rental as Ruzicka will likely taking over the 3rd line center role next year anyway.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Maybe an upgrade at C.

Monahan has been better lately but isn't exactly suited for the game that this team likes to deploy. Also him playing on the third line isn't suited for his skill set.

Monahan would be better suited to play with a team where he can get top 6 minutes and play with a playmaking winger.

If a team needs a PP player and also is lacking a scoring center he could be an option.

Calgary would be looking for a gritty two way center in return. This player could even be a rental as Ruzicka will likely taking over the 3rd line center role next year anyway.

I’m no Coyotes fan, so apologies to rT and the gang if I’m off base, but what about something around Monahan + Christian Fischer? Despite Monahan’s draft pedigree his salary is not an asset, so I’d say there’s an add coming from the flames…Perhaos Valimaki is that add? Perhaps both players can find their game in the desert, and Fischer can fill that gritty 3rd line center I think

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Calgary has no more assets to make a deal, they are likely done. I could see them making a waiver claim for a depth dman, that would be it.

Sort of them doing something like Monahan for Drouin, they likely are done.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Calgary has no more assets to make a deal, they are likely done. I could see them making a waiver claim for a depth dman, that would be it.

Your not getting Drouin for Monahan.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I'd do it, but Drouin is hurt for another month.

Actually I'm not sure I didn't really care for a bit until St. Louis got hired

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Calgary has $870,750 TDL cap space + $750,000/$800,000/$900,000 from Stone/Richardson/Ritchie to work with at the deadline (since one of them would have to be waived to be at 23 again). So we are looking at a range of $1,620,750 - 1,770,750 in cap space.

I don't see Calgary doing much more this season barring a major injury so we are probably just looking at a depth move. Like unless something starts to pick up around a player like Miller or Scheifele then Calgary probably stays the course.

Personally I would be looking at a RD that can fill in effectively if Tanev, Ras, or Guddy we to go down. Troy Stecher is my personal choice. He was solid at IIHF last year with Mange and also being a former Canuck is an added bonus. He's a smaller guy so he doesn't exactly fit the Sutter mold but I would want someone cheap who can in theory play 15+ minutes a night effectively in a top 4 role. I would not want to bump either of Zadorov or Gudbranson up to top 4.

Stecher for a 3rd?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Can't see the Flames doing much with very little cap space. Unless an actual hockey trade comes along or a depth waiver claim as others have said.

Your not getting Drouin for Monahan.
I'd rather have Monahan than Drouin on the Flames, there is no room on the wing for Drouin. Even with Monahan's struggles coming back from injury (he is improving) I'd still rather have the centre who can play throughout the lineup if needed.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Honestly, I don’t see Calgary needing to make any moves. They’re pretty damn close to a complete team right now, maybe an insurance piece on d in case someone goes down or a long term upgrade on center but otherwise, I think they stay the course. Team is on an 8 game winning streak and just added a 20+ goal scorer who’s familiar with the coach.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Can't see the Flames doing much with very little cap space. Unless an actual hockey trade comes along or a depth waiver claim as others have said.

I'd rather have Monahan than Drouin on the Flames, there is no room on the wing for Drouin. Even with Monahan's struggles coming back from injury (he is improving) I'd still rather have the centre who can play throughout the lineup if needed.

Drouin has also been playing some C. I’m not even saying 100% Calgary should or would do that, just that it is an example of a lateral move Calgary could do for Sean. No one is taking his full salary.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Stecher@50%

For

Pospisil
Phillips

Also, would the Flames be interested in something around Namestnikov and Monohan?

(Obviously a bigger deal, not one for one)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Flames have a Valimaki as a depth D and several wingers in the ahl playing well, despite several poster dislike of Monahan center depth is a needed on a cup run and we couldn't afford to move him and upgrade on him. I could see an additional offensive D man in case Kylington suffers an injury I'd guess a guy like Gustafsson but realistically they are done

Reactions: 1989

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
They need a top six offensive center unless Toffoli rejuvenates Monahan.

Most likely, Treliving throws away mores picks and/or a prospect for a depth defenseman like Pysyk or Braun to sit and eat popcorn in the press box.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Any interest in Schenn, Burroughs, Poolman, Hamonic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad