Value of: Adam Lowry and DeMelo (50%) to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Winnipeg is looking to sell vets and these two are perfect fits in my opinion. I think Lowry would be a great 2c between Tavares (moved to wing) and Nylander and at 3.25M x 3 he is a great value contract. DeMelo played top pair RD at 5 on 5 with Morrissey which allowed the latter to put up a career year, if he can do the same with Reilly that would really help shore up the defensive deficiencies of the Leafs dcore.

These players are obviously very valuable to the Jets but if they are truly looking to rebuild they could demand a big return for these guys. What would it cost the Leafs to acquire without touching the big 4 as Treliving has said he doesn't want to move any of them but put less emphasis on them in the lineup.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Tavares - Lowry - Nylander

Reilly - DeMelo

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
1. Lowry would not be a good #2C. He's a terrific #3C, but he doesn't nearly have the offensive chops to be a true Top-6 Center.

2. Of all the players Winnipeg would look to move...Lowry is probably absolutely last on the list. He's the heart and soul of that team, under control for a bunch more years and seems to really embrace being in Winnipeg and playing for the Jets. He's their next Captain.

So that alone is going to make the cost unreasonably expensive. Add in Demelo and you're just piling onto an already huge overpayment with another guy they'd probably prefer not to move. Especially considering their lack of RHD depth.

So basically...you can ask, but you're not even going to get a serious answer.

The vets the Jets would be looking to move, are the guys on expiring contracts. Dubois, Wheeler, Scheifele, Hellebuyck. Dillon probably on defence, or Schmidt if someone wanted him. Maybe Demelo if they don't feel they'll be able to re-sign him - but he'll be expensive.

But Lowry is probably pretty much untouchable.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
1. Lowry would not be a good #2C. He's a terrific #3C, but he doesn't nearly have the offensive chops to be a true Top-6 Center.

2. Of all the players Winnipeg would look to move...Lowry is probably absolutely last on the list. He's the heart and soul of that team, under control for a bunch more years and seems to really embrace being in Winnipeg and playing for the Jets. He's their next Captain.

So that alone is going to make the cost unreasonably expensive. Add in Demelo and you're just piling onto an already huge overpayment with another guy they'd probably prefer not to move. Especially considering their lack of RHD depth.

The vets the Jets would be looking to move, are the guys on expiring contracts. Dubois, Wheeler, Scheifele, Hellebuyck. Dillon probably on defence, or Schmidt if someone wanted him. Maybe Demelo if they don't feel they'll be able to re-sign him - but he'll be expensive.

Can you make an off-season post about sens ?

I like your in depth posts

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London

He wouldn't be a good 2C if he's expected to drive the offense but between Tavares and Nylander or Marner he just needs to do the dirty work, shutdown opposition, win faceoffs and backcheck. Who's to say he can't be a William Karlsson type matchup center if used with better players than Barron and Appleton.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Lowry isn't for sale. The Jets need more of what he brings not less. As said he's the heart and soul of the team who lays it on the line every game. Which is the exact issue the " stars " on the Jets have.

Reactions: north49er

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
If Lowry hits the market a lot of team will show interest. The price will be amazing so not sure Leafs will win this one without overpay to got it

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Lowry is a 3C not a 2C, albeit he's a very good 3C who does it all.......can score, PP, PK, fights, huge hits, great battling down low and in the corners and a great leader.

DeMelo - Very solid defensive D

Jets aren't rebuilding, they aren't trading all vets, just retooling with certain ones and I highly doubt DeMelo or Lowry are available.........Jets want more guys like them not less.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Winnipeg is looking to sell vets and these two are perfect fits in my opinion. I think Lowry would be a great 2c between Tavares (moved to wing) and Nylander and at 3.25M x 3 he is a great value contract. DeMelo played top pair RD at 5 on 5 with Morrissey which allowed the latter to put up a career year, if he can do the same with Reilly that would really help shore up the defensive deficiencies of the Leafs dcore.

These players are obviously very valuable to the Jets but if they are truly looking to rebuild they could demand a big return for these guys. What would it cost the Leafs to acquire without touching the big 4 as Treliving has said he doesn't want to move any of them but put less emphasis on them in the lineup.

Reilly - DeMelo
Outside your top 5 (I count Reilly) into your core. Your only real value is Knies. Noone knows the value of Woll, and the rest is just mehh. Maybe Liljegren if Bowness think he can make the same transformation with Liljegren as he did with Morrisey

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Lowry as 2C.
OP never learned the 'Peter Principle'
"...people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted, based on their success in previous jobs, until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another"

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Lowry as 2C.
OP never learned the 'Peter Principle'
"...people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted, based on their success in previous jobs, until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another"
More than one way to build a team. Leafs have gone all offense and where has that got them? Something that is becoming more and more apparent every playoffs is that you need competent defensive players on every line. Sure he's not going to put up 100 points on the 2nd line but you let him do the heavy backchecking on his line and clear space out front of the net with Marner sending cross seams to Tavares you've got a very well rounded 2nd line.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Reilly - DeMelo

I would LOVE Adam Lowry in our bottom 6.

But it is our bottom 6.

Adam Lowry is not taking over Tavares spot at #2 C.

That has to be somebody that can Doubis, or Schifele,an actual top 6 center which Adam Lowry is not.

Now if they brought him in at #23 center, absolutely no issue with that he's more than welcome.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Yeah, OK ........... (click)

1653850744915-gif.553509

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Reilly - DeMelo
You are asking about 2 valuable assets but you didn't even make any suggestions about who/what would be available other than no to the core 4.

A well respected #3C and a top 4 stay at home RHD both with a low cap hit for what they do will cost some assets. If the Jets were to move these 2 it would symbolize a re-build (which they say they aren't interested in) but that would mean the Jets would be looking for young players and picks coming back. So what are their individual values? Demelo, under 30, signed for $3.0 for this year. At the TDL he would most likely get a 1st from a contender and the ask was Demelo at 50% retained which probably makes that a 1st +. Lowry is signed for 3 seasons at $3.25 and is a unique #3C with size and the drive you want in all professional players. With the news that PLD wants out of Winnipeg I would think the C's currently on their roster are even more important to the team now. Lowry's value is probably a 1st as well. So with these values what do the Leafs have that would equate to 2 first round picks +? I can't see any interest in a couple 2nd/3rd round picks added to mid level prospects (Nick Abruzzese, Alex Steeves).

So for both players and Demelo being 50% retained I think you need to include Knies + or this years 1st (Boston's) ++ and without many mid round picks for the next 3 drafts the players coming back might need to be higher quality to make up for the lack of draft pick options.

Reactions: Conbon

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
He wouldn't be a good 2C if he's expected to drive the offense but between Tavares and Nylander or Marner he just needs to do the dirty work, shutdown opposition, win faceoffs and backcheck. Who's to say he can't be a William Karlsson type matchup center if used with better players than Barron and Appleton.
We've seen Lowry with skilled players before. It doesn't work. He has no offensive skills or instincts at the NHL level so he kills a lot of plays.

I really don't think teams will want to give up what it'd take to get Lowry and Demelo. As already stated, Lowry will be kept around for the likely rebuild to provide leadership. Demelo could be moved, but they'd probably still want more than fair value for him.

Aside from Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Dubois and Wheeler, I could see them moving Dillon and one of Schmidt or Pionk.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think the Jets have an appetite to move out Lowry unless he asks for it. Him and Morrissey I think will be the culture guys to help the younger guys as they come into the lineup. Teams with youth only tend to only learn how to lose.

DeMelo feels like a deadline move. Same with Dillon. I don't think either brings back more than 2nds or 3rds, maybe a minor league guy.

Reactions: pictman

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
You are asking about 2 valuable assets but you didn't even make any suggestions about who/what would be available other than no to the core 4.

A well respected #3C and a top 4 stay at home RHD both with a low cap hit for what they do will cost some assets. If the Jets were to move these 2 it would symbolize a re-build (which they say they aren't interested in) but that would mean the Jets would be looking for young players and picks coming back. So what are their individual values? Demelo, under 30, signed for $3.0 for this year. At the TDL he would most likely get a 1st from a contender and the ask was Demelo at 50% retained which probably makes that a 1st +. Lowry is signed for 3 seasons at $3.25 and is a unique #3C with size and the drive you want in all professional players. With the news that PLD wants out of Winnipeg I would think the C's currently on their roster are even more important to the team now. Lowry's value is probably a 1st as well. So with these values what do the Leafs have that would equate to 2 first round picks +? I can't see any interest in a couple 2nd/3rd round picks added to mid level prospects (Nick Abruzzese, Alex Steeves).

So for both players and Demelo being 50% retained I think you need to include Knies + or this years 1st (Boston's) ++ and without many mid round picks for the next 3 drafts the players coming back might need to be higher quality to make up for the lack of draft pick options.
Demelo was acquired for a 3rd. He was exposed in the expansion draft and passed over for Mason Appleton. I love him, but GMs do not. I don't see how he gets a 1st.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Demelo was acquired for a 3rd. He was exposed in the expansion draft and passed over for Mason Appleton. I love him, but GMs do not. I don't see how he gets a 1st.
It was pretty clear that Francis was targeting ELC players, or players with a lot of team control left. He stayed away from veterans with larger contracts, which Chevy tuned into pretty clearly. The expansion draft choice was not at all a knock on DeMelo, who has been a fantastic defensive player for Winnipeg and good all-around dude.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
1) DeMelo is probably not the answer to Toronto's problems, even though he would be a fine roster piece.
2) me saying that Knies would not be nearly enough to get the Jets to give up Lowry is probably an understatement. For every reason why the Leafs would want to have him, the Jets won't want to trade him.

The fit isn't here.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Demelo is available if he won't re-sign, would be a great partner for Rielly like he has been for Morrissey. Usually all defense but under Bowness' "our D are coming" mantra he contributed well offensively too. No idea on the value, I'm sure if they're serious about "re-tooling" they should be trying to re-sign him.

Lowry is likely the captain by the time the season starts. Probably one of the most unavailable roster players on the Jets atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad