Adam Larsson potential

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Hey guys, Bruins fan here coming in peace...just wondering, what do you think Adam Larsson's realistic upside is in terms of offensive output? He is already strong for his age on the defensive side, but in terms of what kind of offense he will realistically produce once he has developed, what do you guys think? Can he be a 40-50pt/year defenseman or is that too ambitious for Larsson?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey guys, Bruins fan here coming in peace...just wondering, what do you think Adam Larsson's realistic upside is in terms of offensive output? He is already strong for his age on the defensive side, but in terms of what kind of offense he will realistically produce once he has developed, what do you guys think? Can he be a 40-50pt/year defenseman or is that too ambitious for Larsson?

Yeah I think he could be a 40-50 point guy. He hasn't really been given power play time this year, but he's improved defensively drastically.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hard to tell yet since the staff still has a leash on him.

He was very good today.
I would say more 25-35 but we have not seen what he can really do yet.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008

I think much will depend on if we starts getting some power play time but I;d put his ceiling as a 35-40 pt guy. He rarely winds up and takes a powerful slapshot and rather just tries to get a deflectable shot towards the goal. He makes some nice passes despite the weak shot. He's only 20 are one can argue he's on our top pairing with Greene so he already is a 1-2 dman.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
I would probably put him as a top pairing D-man who would could score 35-40 points a year but has stellar D play as well. Larsson is so fun to watch and really special

I think his realistic potential stats say in his age 27 season (his prime probably) will be 75-82 games played. 5-7 goals 25-35 assists and playing solid defense. 25 minutes a game.

A better Francois Beauchemin.

If he busts out, which might happen if his confidence keeps gettting crushed by De Beor he'll be another Craig Wolanin. 10 year NHL player, 3rd pairing guy.

I think much will depend on if we starts getting some power play time but I;d put his ceiling as a 35-40 pt guy. He rarely winds up and takes a powerful slapshot and rather just tries to get a deflectable shot towards the goal. He makes some nice passes despite the weak shot. He's only 20 are one can argue he's on our top pairing with Greene so he already is a 1-2 dman.

Niedermayer and Rafalski both had weak shots from the point. Both were extremly effective though on the PP. Nice, deflect able shots. I think Larsson has that. It's his passing and his risk taking that needs to be refined.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson hasn't shown me anything to project long term...not positively or negatively.

Maybe that in and of itself means all we are looking at is a good middle pairing defenseman? But I'm not willing to commit to anything even close to that right now.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
He probably won't put as many points as niedermayer but he will definitely be miles ahead of our other d-men. I may be getting too excited but I can see larsson as our true #1 d-man good at everything, and merril will be the offensive defenseman we are looking for.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hard to tell yet since the staff still has a leash on him.

Absolutely.

I understand completely the desire to bring such a young NHL defenseman along slowly, but it's OBVIOUS he has offensive potential, but he's NOT allowed to use it.

He has a big anchor around his neck and he's absolutely red-lighted in the offensive zone.

I find myself watching Devils games and seeing an obvious moment where Larsson should have joined the offense, but you know he's not allowed to, and I get frustrated and want to yell this at the TV set........................

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He probably won't put as many points as niedermayer but he will definitely be miles ahead of our other d-men. I may be getting too excited but I can see larsson as our true #1 d-man good at everything, and merril will be the offensive defenseman we are looking for.

I do.t see Merrill putting up huge numbers either. Not fast enough a skater. Both play similar games and all around solid.

apice3*

You don't need to be fast to put up huge numbers.

Scott Stevens early in his career was a 70+ point player. He was never a speed demon. Not to say Larsson resembles Stevens in the slightest, just using an example.

apice3*

I'd go as far as saying most of the elite scoring D-men in NHL history had around average speed.

D-men don't pick up points going coast-to-coast. Guys like Niedermayer could do it, but most D-men put up points by making good breakout passes, cycling well, and most importantly being good on the PP.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I see flashes of the top pairing defenceman from Larsson. The talent is clearly there. The consistency is what needs to get up to par, and that only comes with experience.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I'd go as far as saying most of the elite scoring D-men in NHL history had around average speed.

D-men don't pick up points going coast-to-coast. Guys like Niedermayer could do it, but most D-men put up points by making good breakout passes, cycling well, and most importantly being good on the PP.

Defensemen shouldn't be cycling the puck usually...

I don't think Larsson will ever be what this board wants, the expectations are too high, but he will be a hell of a player.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I see flashes of the top pairing defenceman from Larsson. The talent is clearly there. The consistency is what needs to get up to par, and that only comes with experience.

I fully expect Larsson to be a #1 defenseman,

I don't think Larsson will ever be what this board wants, the expectations are too high

so there's definitely a chance that you're right.

Oroku Saki*

The guy in your username has more offensive potential imo.

Larsson will be the better all-around player.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I've seen a lot of young defensemen come and go watching several different teams. I would say Larsson is a very special kid who will likely be a #1 Defenseman. He'll be that good primarily based on his shut-down and transition ability.

Offensively, his shot is pathetic, but he uses it smartly, looking for deflections. Unless someone teaches him to shoot an accurate 90+ mph slap shot, he'll top out around 30-35 points per year.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I've seen a lot of young defensemen come and go watching several different teams. I would say Larsson is a very special kid who will likely be a #1 Defenseman. He'll be that good primarily based on his shut-down and transition ability.

Offensively, his shot is pathetic, but he uses it smartly, looking for deflections. Unless someone teaches him to shoot an accurate 90+ mph slap shot, he'll top out around 30-35 points per year.

Sounds way more realistic to me as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad