Confirmed with Link: Adam Engström signs 3 year ELC

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
OMG how the heck did I forget the biggest piece? Totally my bad.
either way, i think Harris is gone this summer. potentially Kovacevic in October. Savard at the trade deadline in 2025 and potentially Matheson too. Engstrom will be in NHL after next year's trade deadline - whether that's on the right or left side remains to be seen.

edit: i think Struble has more value than Harris across the league, so if it's a bigger trade he could be the one shipped out this summer instead.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
either way, i think Harris is gone this summer. potentially Kovacevic in October. Savard at the trade deadline in 2025 and potentially Matheson too. Engstrom will be in NHL after next year's trade deadline - whether that's on the right or left side remains to be seen.

edit: i think Struble has more value than Harris across the league, so if it's a bigger trade he could be the one shipped out this summer instead.

Good thing about Engstrom is: he played both side a lot already.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
LD Congestion
Matheson
Guhle (should not be a RD Longterm)
Xhekaj
Struble
Harris
Engstrom

Obviously this needs to be addressed
It is at least being addressed on this forum, in multiple threads.

Can’t wait to find out where Engström fits into the puzzle.

Hughes is headed into the offseason with a host of possibilities.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Its good that Engstrom can play the right side because there is no spot availalble on the left side with Hutson, Guhle, and Xhekaj there.

On the right side, Reinbacher and Mailloux will be there. So there is 1 spot available. For the last spot, there will be a battle between Engstrom, Barron, and Struble.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We don’t know who gets the job as head coach in Laval next season but really curious to see if they’ll play Engstrom on his off-side.

Depends what vet they get for the AHL as they already have Mailloux and Reinbacher on the right.

I assume he'd be on the 1st/2nd pair on LD or on the 3rd pair on RD.

XXX - Mailloux
XXX - Reinbacher
Trudeau - XXX
XXX, XXX

The XXX being a mix of Hutson, Struble (if they don't make the NHL), Norlinder (if they re-sign him), Tourigny (if he gets signed), Engstrom, AHL vets and UDFAs.

Reactions: Runner77

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I would advise looking at his points and offense only. When watching him next year in preseason games, look for his D coverage and how to handle bigger physical forwards. That's a major development area for Hutson.

Last thing we need is to have him earn a D spot by offense only. That's what the Leafs do bud.
...what? Offensive defensemen like Benoit, Lyubushkin, McCabe, and Edmundson?

Hutson won't sniff the AHL barring a conditioning stint.

Reactions: Surfer72

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So two months in you already have ECHL level D playing a regular shift in the AHL and TR has a LNAH D line?

You want 7-8D at the NHL level, 8-9 at the AHL level and 1-3 AHL contracts in the ECHL.
Not necessarily, but yes, that's what hockey development is. We're not in this to win the Calder cup every season. Winning it for Price made what difference exactly?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not necessarily, but yes, that's what hockey development is. We're not in this to win the Calder cup every season. Winning it for Price made what difference exactly?

Ah yes, getting trashed every game while forced into a role you might not be ready for is better for development than playing the role you're fit for and playing deep in the playoffs. Not getting trashed is also a lot better for morale which is key in development. Sad/demoralized player is bad for development, having fun (in a professional way) is good.

Also, who are you developping? 1 legit D and 5 ECHLer?

I'm not saying to fill the team with AHLer, but filling it with a bunch of 20 year old guys is not a good option either. Part of developing in the AHL is learning to be a pro and it's a lot easier if there are actual pros to show the good habits.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Ah yes, getting trashed every game while forced into a role you might not be ready for is better for development than playing the role you're fit for and playing deep in the playoffs. Not getting trashed is also a lot better for morale which is key in development. Sad/demoralized player is bad for development, having fun (in a professional way) is good.

Also, who are you developping? 1 legit D and 5 ECHLer?

I'm not saying to fill the team with AHLer, but filling it with a bunch of 20 year old guys is not a good option either. Part of developing in the AHL is learning to be a pro and it's a lot easier if there are actual pros to show the good habits.
You're taking this as if losing half your D squad in the AHL happens all the time. It's exaggerated. Take it on the amount of contracts alone:

14-17 dmen
20-22 forwards
4-6 goalies

40-45 contracts. That's where most team end up right? All the rest are AHL contracts, so not really development purpose.

How would you split your layout?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You're taking this as if losing half your D squad in the AHL happens all the time. It's exaggerated. Take it on the amount of contracts alone:

14-17 dmen
20-22 forwards
4-6 goalies

40-45 contracts. That's where most team end up right? All the rest are AHL contracts, so not really development purpose.

How would you split your layout?
But AHL contracts are still part of your roster, why the f*** have you been ignoring them during this discussion?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
But AHL contracts are still part of your roster, why the f*** have you been ignoring them during this discussion?
We are discussing amount of contracts spent on players requiring development. Right now 14, means some of them will not play, specially if they do sign some vets to AHL contracts. So I'm agreeing with WTK, it means they will trade some.

Don't forget that the 5th OA will most likely eat a contract without playing on either squad, and we have to keep space. A team's roster is usually:

13-14 forwards.
6-8 defensemen.
2-3 goaltenders.

That's all NHL contracts. In the AHL it splits into NHL and AHL, but the point is if they're spending NHL contracts on players which they will not play (like Mysak), they might as trade them right before hurting dev.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We are discussing amount of contracts spent on players requiring development. Right now 14, means some of them will not play, specially if they do sign some vets to AHL contracts. So I'm agreeing with WTK, it means they will trade some.

Don't forget that the 5th OA will most likely eat a contract without playing on either squad, and we have to keep space. A team's roster is usually:

13-14 forwards.
6-8 defensemen.
2-3 goaltenders.

That's all NHL contracts. In the AHL it splits into NHL and AHL, but the point is if they're spending NHL contracts on players which they will not play (like Mysak), they might as trade them right before hurting dev.

NHL contracts doesn't mean "need development". For example, Kovacevic has a NHL contract but doesn't require development.

Right now, we have space to play everyone, but no rookie could make the roster. Example:

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Barron
Harris, Kovacevic

Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - XXX

The reason why we would need to trade a D is not playing spots per se, it's NHL roster spots. By trading Harris for example, you allow a rookie to push to make the NHL roster.

You also have to consider that there is a decent chance Savard and/or Kovacevic don't finish the year in Montreal.

For the record, I am for trading both Harris and Ylonen (or the dead wood) to make space at the NHL level for rookies otherwise the roster is pretty much already set.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
NHL contracts doesn't mean "need development". For example, Kovacevic has a NHL contract but doesn't require development.
It doesn't but "need development" usually translates into an NHL contract, with exceptions, like DD for a while. Signing good vets in the NHL also, usually it means they want a 2-way.

Right now, we have space to play everyone, but no rookie could make the roster. Example:

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Barron
Harris, Kovacevic

Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - XXX

The reason why we would need to trade a D is not playing spots per se, it's NHL roster spots. By trading Harris for example, you allow a rookie to push to make the NHL roster.

You also have to consider that there is a decent chance Savard and/or Kovacevic don't finish the year in Montreal.

For the record, I am for trading both Harris and Ylonen (or the dead wood) to make space at the NHL level for rookies otherwise the roster is pretty much already set.
I would think they start Hutson in the NHL, then if you want all your important pieces to play more:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic (or trade Kova to bring Stuble up, or move Xhekaj to semi-forward)
Harris

Engstrom - Reinbacher
Struble - Mailloux
Trudeau - Barron (or just trade him :laugh:)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It doesn't but "need development" usually translates into an NHL contract, with exceptions, like DD for a while. Signing good vets in the NHL also, usually it means they want a 2-way.

I would think they start Hutson in the NHL, then if you want all your important pieces to play more:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic (or trade Kova to bring Stuble up, or move Xhekaj to semi-forward)
Harris

Engstrom - Reinbacher
Struble - Mailloux
Trudeau - Barron (or just trade him :laugh:)

There, you just fixed the issue of "not enough spots to develop everyone" yourself without even trading anyone.

My idea would be:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Kovacevic

Vet D - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Struble - Trudeau
Guys like Bisson, Galipeau, Tourigny or UDFA for depth

Harris traded (or kept as 7/8D).

Alternatively, keep Struble up and rotate Xhekaj, Barron and Struble until the inevitable injury comes in play. Or keep him down a promote him to 6D over Kovacevic in case of injury.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - XXX
On a separate note, can you imagine that is the top 4 in Laval to start next season? That would be real exciting to watch even though I suspect Hutson has a decent shot at making the NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad