Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
Because it's the Caps?

There is definitely a chance we get him or Niskanen but at the same time DC is not really an attractive place after the coaching carousel the past few years. Ehrhoff might(probably) want to go to a place thats a little closer to making a run

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ry-trotz-comes-to-a-caps-team-ready-to-spend/
“I think we want some veteran guys back there to stabilize things and allow some of the younger guys to develop so you put them in the right hole,†Trotz said. “I think a right- and left-handed shot, if you know of anybody. There’s a couple D-men that we’re actually targeting that probably so are 20 other teams. Teams are smart. They lock up their core for a long period of time. The windows of those guys have changed.â€
So...maybe...but a righty like Niskanen doesn't make a ton of sense financially unless they're also moving Green. The RD seems more likely to be a 5/6 unless a subsequent trade is their strategy. Add in a back-up goaltender and at least another center for $13M total? I don't love their cap situation. I'd feel better about it if Laich were dealt/traded, although Trotz did mention roster trades as possible.

@VogsCaps: The #Caps have issued qualifying contract offers to impending RFAs Michael Latta, Edward Pasquale, Cameron Schilling and Nate Schmidt.

Deschamps/Flemming/Leblanc UFA.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
So the question seems to be if the Caps were able to get Erhoff and Niskanen would we then be ok with the platoon at 2nd line center of Laich/mojo/Kuzya?

I think I'd be ok with that.

Alzner-Carlson
Erhoff-Green
Orlov-Niskanen

Leaves room to move Green as well. I however think that because Orpik has already been contacted they will sign him instead of Erhoff.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
So the question seems to be if the Caps were able to get Erhoff and Niskanen would we then be ok with the platoon at 2nd line center of Laich/mojo/Kuzya?

I think I'd be ok with that.

Alzner-Carlson
Erhoff-Green
Orlov-Niskanen

Leaves room to move Green as well. I however think that because Orpik has already been contacted they will sign him instead of Erhoff.

I'm fine with it, if it means we have a decent defense. Ovy and the gang are getting older and I would like to see what can happen with a legit defense and coach.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
You guys need to reduce your optimism. This is the Capitals we're talking about. One of Niskanen, Orpik, Mitchell or Erhoff would be more than you should hope for.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If I don't at least hear our name all over the place from sources on Ehrhoff I'm going to be a little upset.

Couldn't help but be utterly disappointed if they're not at least seriously kicking the tires on any option that makes the team better today.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm dreaming of both Ehrhoff and Niskanen to play together and then moving pending UFA Green at the deadline to clear space. I feel like we'd have justenpugh $ to potentially make it happen and add a cheap serviceable backup goaltender.

Stralman could be had cheaper than Niskanen I imagine but the moving Green at the deadline idea might not work since we would lack elite offense from the blueline if we went that direction. Although ultimately I'd like to keep MG but for lass money and that could become a very sticky situation. Guys outside get hurt when there next contact is offered significantly less than the one before.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
Getting either one of Ehrhoff or Niskanen would be great but I would still have an uneasy feeling about not bringing Grabo back or settling for one of the guys we already have taking the 2C spot.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Judging from Trotz's comments they'll add a RD of some note at least. It might be more along the lines of Morris, Bellemore (albeit not a veteran but solid), Robidas or Weaver than Niskanen/Stralman/Boyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad