TVA Sports According to TVA Sports - the best candidate to replace Julien is Bob Hartley. 2nd best? Therrien

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
Well on tvasports.ca there's a poll up of who the next coach should be if CJ is canned. #1 is Gallant. #2 is Ducharme...

On rds.ca I've been reading a lot of comments from francophone fans - they want the best candidate, regardless of language.

Real hockey fans don't care. Monsieur madame tout le monde outside of Montreal do, though. That's the problem.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Let's try to hire a coach that hasn't been fired at least twice instead.
So a coach with no experience? That's not great thinking that we already have Ducharme who has near 0 experience and doesn't seem to know how to win games with the pros. I'd consider Bowness in the summer, since he's interim with the Stars.

Real hockey fans don't care. Monsieur madame tout le monde outside of Montreal do, though. That's the problem.
No... It's only a problem if they're season ticket holders, otherwise f*** em! (Actually f*** em regardless!) After game on ice interviews are in English and you don't hear/see people complaining do you?

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Let's try to hire a coach that hasn't been fired at least twice instead.
We can try, but we already know that the next coach in line after, say Hartley or Therrien or Carbonneau takes over, is Claude Julien.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So a coach with no experience? That's not great thinking that we already have Ducharme who has near 0 experience and doesn't seem to know how to win games with the pros. I'd consider Bowness in the summer, since he's interim with the Stars.

Bowness is a '90ies solution to a '20ies problem.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
considering I've spent pretty much my whole life immersed in the french canadian culture and I still do not know enough to pretend understand what is exactly said french canadian culture...

I'm really curious to read your definition of it.

Your family grew up somewhere along the st. lawrence, people say tabarnak, and most of your relatives drink too much

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
considering I've spent pretty much my whole life immersed in the french canadian culture and I still do not know enough to pretend understand what is exactly said french canadian culture...

I'm really curious to read your definition of it.

Your family grew up somewhere along the st. lawrence, people say tabarnak, and most of your relatives drink too much

It's mostly intangible. But you know it when you're exposed to changes.

As I often like to say, I get a bigger cultural shock when I'm crossing the river (in my case, that means going to Ottawa) than when I'm headed somewhere in New England (espcially VT, but MA and ME as well), and that doesn't have to do with the fact these places tend to be very White (while Ottawa isn't).

(And that's the further I'll be going on this topic, without going into more political discussions, who aren't allowed on HFBoards anymore)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'd normally agree with this.
But there's a limit as to how many times materials can be recycled for the same purpose.
Therrien reached that limit.
Oh, that wasn't what I meant, but yes, when it comes to Therrien, he wore out his welcome the first time around. Therrien.2 was the sequel nobody wanted. Let's not even talk about Therrien.3.

Reactions: BLONG7

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Every team do that. Every team gives a chance to a candidate who wouldn't have been offered a job otherwise.

It happens….but for very different reasons than we do and the difference is that those teams doesn't do it 95% of the time.
Trotz gets available, 30 teams are running after him….we're the 31st team. That's where i have a problem.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I think the team would be better with 6-7-8 Quebec players and an English speaking coach instead of what they are doing now with 1-2 Quebec players and a French speaking coach. All the coaches are mostly the same now, every teams plays almost the same, I think having more players from here would be better.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the team would be better ith 6-7 Quebec players and an English speaking coach instead of what they are doind now with 1- Quebec players and a French speaking coach. All the coaches are mostly the same now, every teams plays almost the same, I think having more players from here would be better.

At this point in time, is the Quebec fan base still on the coach needing to speak French? I feel that this is more open these days due to how limited we end up with our choices? How important is it today vs past years?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
At this point in time, is the Quebec fan base still on the coach needing to speak French? I feel that this is more open these days due to how limited we end up with our choices? How important is it today vs past years?

pretty sure if we hired an anglo, the JDM and Rejean Tremblay would freak out for a month and move on

it's 2020 let it go, boomers

Reactions: rickthegoon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
pretty sure if we hired an anglo, the JDM and Rejean Tremblay would freak out for a month and move on

it's 2020 let it go, boomers

I feel most of our fan base thinks that way now right? I'm in the east coast so not sure what the Quebec fan base thinks about that

Reactions: Fixxer

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Actually most French Quebecers don't care these days the majority would say " take the best coach available". People under 40 years old don't care at all.

Even younger people care even less about the language thing, they go more and more to English schools and use english all the time.

My opinion is if there was a great choice for a coach from here it would be nice to have but at the moment there is none so like I said I would really prefer having more players from here, including english speaking Quebecers.

If you go to rds.ca tvasports.ca and talk radio here, more and more the people are saying, take the best one you can who cares where he comes from. The language "battle" has been lost a long time ago anyway.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It happens….but for very different reasons than we do and the difference is that those teams doesn't do it 95% of the time.
Trotz gets available, 30 teams are running after him….we're the 31st team. That's where i have a problem.

I have a problem with that too.

(There's also a math issue in your post)

Reactions: Toene

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nope. But language still matters. For some unknown reason.

They just need to get in front of it - and it won't matter.

"Hey we're announcing Gallant. We want him for his winning pedigree, best coach on the market. To address the elephant in the room - no he doesn't speak french, but we'll have a translator designated to him for all post-game interviews and official press conferences. And of course - our assistant coach speaks french, and would be happy to speak with media when asked".

If they hire an English speaking coach with the message above communicated - it would go over fine.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Actually most French Quebecers don't care these days the majority would say " take the best coach available". People under 40 years old don't care at all.

Even younger people care even less about the language thing, they go more and more to English schools and use english all the time.

My opinion is if there was a great choice for a coach from here it would be nice to have but at the moment there is none so like I said I would really prefer having more players from here, including english speaking Quebecers.

If you go to rds.ca tvasports.ca and talk radio here, more and more the people are saying, take the best one you can who cares where he comes from. The language "battle" has been lost a long time ago anyway.
it is the media and esp. mononcles-ronfourniers that make big deal out of it

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
This is a good point, but it raises a very important question: if culture is a vague concept we debate but never agree on, why would we expect a sports team to nail it?

Our debates about the Habs remind me of the debates my wife and I have about our kids. We want them to be a certain way, but in the end they'll take their own paths no matter how loud we yell. I'd rather skip past the yelling and go directly to the love & acceptance part.
I'm fine with the language stuff, hate that it seems to be the only requirement though. Dont feel it was the same with previous management.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So is media skills something other gms are looking for in a coach? Media is something everyone in the organization has to deal with, giving reporters generic soundbites for a few minutes after each game hardly seems like a reason to hire or not hire someone doesnt it?
you said it was not required for a coach to deal with medias, looks like it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad