Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Interesting that Gary Agnew has been let go. Was actually Malhotra's assistant coach when Malhotra played for Columbus. Former colleague of Tocchet when they were both assistant coaches in Pittsburgh. Was fired by Rutherford in Pittsburgh. Been with the Utica/Abby since 2017.

Guess the powers to be didn't like the guy.

The entire coaching staff has been turned over so and, if they didn’t like him, could have let him go when they brought in Colliton.

Curious to see if they add anyone else. The AHL staff doesn’t have anyone with head coaching experience.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The entire coaching staff has been turned over so and, if they didn’t like him, could have let him go when they brought in Colliton.

Curious to see if they add anyone else. The AHL staff doesn’t have anyone with head coaching experience.

It could be a contractual thing though. Collington kept both Agnew and Ulmar.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It could be a contractual thing though. Collington kept both Agnew and Ulmar.

Totally. I thought of that earlier but we basically know nothing of any contracts beyond coach and GM. Hell, most don’t even pay attention who their AHL team assistants are.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Totally. I thought of that earlier but we basically know nothing of any contracts beyond coach and GM. Hell, most don’t even pay attention who their AHL team assistants are.

I'm just surprised because of the past experiences Agnew have with Malhotra, Tocchet, and management.

Agnew is getting up there in years but I'm thinking his experience is nearly unmatched as far as AHL assistants go. Wouldn't be a bad way to go to keep Agnew for continuity and for his experience.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Listed at 6'2" and 2012.....signed for some toughness? It certainly wasn't for his offense, averaging about eight goals and 15 points in three AHL seasons.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I remember Kambeitz from when he played with the Royals, he definitely wasn’t afraid to mix it up in front of the net and pocket the loose change. I seem to recall him getting in some pretty good scraps and not giving an inch so he will bring some feistiness to the team. At the time he was one of those guys that the other teams probably hated to play against.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
At 2012 lbs, you should put him in net, no one would ever score
1721697541858.png
My GM of the year strategy when i get hired

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Gotta wonder when the Abby Centre will start seeing some amenities upgrades. The new scoreboard and light strip are great but the rest of the building still feels like it hasn't been touched since the Heat left. Needs some more concession options and besides the entrance by the team store, you wouldn't know a team plays there by looking at the building. It needs some more branding outside and definitely needs more lighting.

Attachments

• canucksarena.jpg
    canucksarena.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What we really need is $1 hotdog and $2 beer night again.

Said nobody ever.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Control of the Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Centre is a bit of a mystery to me. The facility is still owned by the City of Abbotsford, but is under long term lease to Canucks Sports and Entertainment.

I assume that means that the Canucks and the Aquilini family and responsible for all bookings and day-to-day operations of the Abby Entertainment Centre such as hockey, concerts, events etc. But in terms of who's responsible for arena upgrades like concessions, lighting, washroom improvements, etc., not sure if that's still the responsibility of the lessee or the lessor.

I'm not 100 percent certain that Canucks Sports and Entertainment are in a position to make any arena upgrades.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Uh, I'm sure the city of abby wouldn't say no to free upgrades if the Aquilini's weren't greedy af.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So Abbotsford's defensive depth looks like this now:

LD:
Guillaume Brisebois
Akito Hirose
Elias Pettersson
Christian Wolanin
Layton Ahac
Kirill Kudryavtsev (maybe goes back to Junior)
Joseph Arnsten (might play forward)

RD:
Christian Felton
Cole McWard
Jett Woo
Mark Friedman (will compete for NHL roster spot)

Reactions: Lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So Abbotsford's defensive depth looks like this now:

LD:
Guillaume Brisebois
Akito Hirose
Elias Pettersson
Christian Wolanin
Layton Ahac
Kirill Kudryavtsev (maybe goes back to Junior)
Joseph Arnsten (might play forward)

RD:
Christian Felton
Cole McWard
Jett Woo
Mark Friedman (will compete for NHL roster spot)

I wonder if any of the left side D can play the right? Seems like a bit of a log jam on the left.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also, dug this up -

He was touted as a two-way defensemen with good offensive skills (which have not materialized at all, in college or the AHL). And skating was listed as a weakness.

However, puck retrieval, puck movement and play under pressure were the things he was lauded for.

He's still only 23 - and he's an experienced body on the back end, at least. And a local boy who is probably excited to play at home. Hope he's able to rekindle some of the potential that saw him go in the 3rd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad