Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We're only three days into free agency....so still time for the Canucks to add some veteran depth to their Abbotsford farm team.

Losing guys like Gatcomb, Dries, Johansson and Matt Irwin, is definitely going to hurt. But with all the UFA signings on the parent Canucks, it really makes you wonder if there's going to be any room for the likes of Karlsson, Bains, Sasson, Raty and McWard.

Before July 1st, I thought there was a chance that two or three of these kids might stick with the Canucks. But now I'm not so sure. Another year in Abbotsford is possible for all of them.

And these guys would be starting their third seasons in the AHL--so they almost qualify as 'veterans'.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We're only three days into free agency....so still time for the Canucks to add some veteran depth to their Abbotsford farm team.

Losing guys like Gatcomb, Dries, Johansson and Matt Irwin, is definitely going to hurt. But with all the UFA signings on the parent Canucks, it really makes you wonder if there's going to be any room for the likes of Karlsson, Bains, Sasson, Raty and McWard.

Before July 1st, I thought there was a chance that two or three of these kids might stick with the Canucks. But now I'm not so sure. Another year in Abbotsford is possible for all of them.

And these guys would be starting their third seasons in the AHL--so they almost qualify as 'veterans'.

I think presently, we're looking at something like this, assuming Podkolzin and Aman stay up as the 12th and 13th forwards.

Bains - Sasson - Karlsson
Lekkerimaki - Smith - Nielsen
Raty - Stevens - Glover
Loewen - Mueller - Klimovich
Bloom - Walker

Wolanin - McWard
Hirose - Brisebois
Pettersson - Fenton
Kudryatsev

Tolopilo
Pitera

The top line looks fine. Lekkerimaki and Nielsen should hopefully be capable offensive wingers for a second line, and I think the team has high hopes for Smith. Raty/Stevens is 2/3 of a good line, but after that, the quality of forwards is dicey. I think it makes a bit more sense to find a legitimate top-six AHLer or two and push Smith/Nielsen down, rather than finding some other bottom six filler types.

The defense looks awfully green. A lot will depend on if Brisebois can stay healthy. McWard had an okay rookie season, you sure hope Hirose can bounce back, and then you've got three newbies.

Goaltending looks fine.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think presently, we're looking at something like this, assuming Podkolzin and Aman stay up as the 12th and 13th forwards.

Raty - Stevens - Glover
Bloom - Walker

Wolanin - McWard
Hirose - Brisebois
Pettersson - Fenton
Kudryatsev

Tolopilo
Pitera

The top line looks fine. Lekkerimaki and Nielsen should hopefully be capable offensive wingers for a second line, and I think the team has high hopes for Smith. Raty/Stevens is 2/3 of a good line, but after that, the quality of forwards is dicey. I think it makes a bit more sense to find a legitimate top-six AHLer or two and push Smith/Nielsen down, rather than finding some other bottom six filler types.

The defense looks awfully green. A lot will depend on if Brisebois can stay healthy. McWard had an okay rookie season, you sure hope Hirose can bounce back, and then you've got three newbies.

Goaltending looks fine.
By mid-season everybody will know how to spell my man Kudryavtsev's name!

Reactions: iceburg

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver

Raty - Stevens - Glover
Bloom - Walker

Wolanin - McWard
Hirose - Brisebois
Pettersson - Fenton
Kudryatsev

Tolopilo
Pitera

Goaltending looks fine.
Missing PDG & Woo

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Raty - Stevens - Glover
Bloom - Walker

Wolanin - McWard
Hirose - Brisebois
Pettersson - Fenton
Kudryatsev

Tolopilo
Pitera

Goaltending looks fine.
God I hope Loewen is not back. Such a joke. Definitely can't play and really initimates no one with his clownish antics.

Team needs to get some toughness that can be effective. If not you can start counting the days till someone like Lekkerimaki or Mc Ward get hurt.

Believe rookie head coach Malhotra will have trouble getting far with this team.

Fact that Gatcomb got a contract with Islanders illustrates what some of thought. He did have some potential. Some toughness. decent skater, good on PK and a two way player. Might seriously question his hands and ability to put away chances. Type of player, who if he hangs around long enough, might eke out some NHL time.

Reactions: MS

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And maybe Friedman (or Juulsen, but probably Friedman).
Whichever route they go in Vancouver, I hope that the eighth d-man doesn't sit around for months in the press-box like Friedman did last year in Vancouver.

Get him on waivers and down to Abby, where he could really help the young d-men. You can still call him up in an injury emergency.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Whichever route they go in Vancouver, I hope that the eighth d-man doesn't sit around for months in the press-box like Friedman did last year in Vancouver.

Get him on waivers and down to Abby, where he could really help the young d-men. You can still call him up in an injury emergency.

Good for accrual as well.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Missing PDG & Woo

D’oh. Thanks!

EDIT: With PDG (or Aman) and Woo, things do look a bit better.

Bains - Aman/PDG* - Karlsson
Lekkerimaki - Sasson - Nielsen
Raty - Smith - Glover
Loewen - Stevens - Klimovich
Bloom - Mueller - Walker

Wolanin - Woo
Hirose - McWard
Pettersson - Brisebois
Kudryatsev - Fenton

Tolopilo
Pitera

Last edited: