Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

That's a nice deal for Wouters. Reading the list of everything he does in the community in Abbotsford/Chilliwack is impressive, too. Good for him to get rewarded for all his efforts on and off the ice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I remember thinking he looked better than Young at the prospects camp and he actually had pretty good numbers as an ECHL rookie.

Guessing he's more in-the-picture this year with Silovs replacing DeSmith and Sawchenko likely leaving.

Ty Young was signed to a contract and will be 20 years old when the season starts so he's in the mix in Abbotsford or Kalamazoo.

What a weird signing, still. Better 2nd half but still lost his job to a 16 year old.

I don't have a feel at all for whether he'll be in the WHL as an overage or in Kalamazoo.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I remember thinking he looked better than Young at the prospects camp and he actually had pretty good numbers as an ECHL rookie.

Guessing he's more in-the-picture this year with Silovs replacing DeSmith and Sawchenko likely leaving.

What a weird signing, still. Better 2nd half but still lost his job to a 16 year old.

I don't have a feel at all for whether he'll be in the WHL as an overage or in Kalamazoo.

I would normally say that I think Young would return for an overage year, but I can't see it happening as Ravensbergen's backup.

Maybe if he gets traded to another team? Otherwise, he and the Canucks may agree it makes sense to try the ECHL.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would normally say that I think Young would return for an overage year, but I can't see it happening as Ravensbergen's backup.

Maybe if he gets traded to another team? Otherwise, he and the Canucks may agree it makes sense to try the ECHL.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea.

Agreed that you'd think he wouldn't go back to PG either for his own sake and probably the team's as I doubt they'd want to use one of their OA spots on a backup goalie given that Ravensbergen is surely going to get 45-50 of the 70 starts next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So with the Lemieux signing, is that the end of the line for Zach Sawchenko in Abbotsford? A little surprising. He had a strong playoffs after both Silovs and Tolopilo were recalled to Vancouver.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So with the Lemieux signing, is that the end of the line for Zach Sawchenko in Abbotsford? A little surprising. He had a strong playoffs after both Silovs and Tolopilo were recalled to Vancouver.

Sawchenko is a UFA and sat around all year, so I don't know that you'd expect him to be keen to re-sign either way, but also Lemieux isn't a new signing - he signed with Abbotsford last summer and is just being extended now - so his presence isn't really a new thing with regards to Sawchenko.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The AHL finals are still going on also.

Coachella vs Hershey. Hershey is up 3-2 game 6 tonight.

Would have thought they would have been done by now as well.

Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Sawchenko is a UFA and sat around all year, so I don't know that you'd expect him to be keen to re-sign either way, but also Lemieux isn't a new signing - he signed with Abbotsford last summer and is just being extended now - so his presence isn't really a new thing with regards to Sawchenko.

There was a joke amongst those that covered the Abby Canucks about Sawchenko. Essentially every time they'd see him they'd act like seeing bigfoot. Dude would show up for all sorts of public events yet hadn't suited up for a game. Wasn't until Demko was out did he ever see the ice and then suddenly became their starter in the playoffs.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There was a joke amongst those that covered the Abby Canucks about Sawchenko. Essentially every time they'd see him they'd act like seeing bigfoot. Dude would show up for all sorts of public events yet hadn't suited up for a game. Wasn't until Demko was out did he ever see the ice and then suddenly became their starter in the playoffs.

Coming back to Lemieux, it's probably worth nothing that he was the backup for all 6 playoff games once both Silovs and Tolopilo were recalled.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

AKL off to a new opportunity. All the best to one of the best knuckle dusters I’ve seen.

Great technical fighter but paradoxically not really a physical presence. He was a guy there for physicality and toughness but he didn't throw many hits, didn't play a terribly involved game ... except for every 20 games having an 'event' Rypien-esque scrap against a legit heavyweight.

Sheldon Dries career in the Canuck organization is at an end....signed as a UFA by Detroit.

He was a quality player for both the parent Canucks and their AHL affiliate. Wish him well.

A player that needs to be replaced. They were already a bit short on veteran skill last year and you need a couple guys like this at this level to carry lines and help develop prospects.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Canucks Army has some details on him and also on the process of building out the staff in Abbotsford:
Jordan Smith - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

Smith is just 38 years old. He was a second round pick (Anaheim), but didn't have much of a pro career, ending up in Canadian University hockey after two years in the AHL. He played at 6'2" 220lbs, a rhd, and he'll be handling the D for Abbotsford. (Here's hoping that he can do for Woo what Foote did for Myers.)

He coached in the OHL and as an assistant in AHL Springfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad