Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just ran into Chad Nychuk at YVR, wished him well in the playoffs. I think he thought I was confused lol

He and I were on the same flight from Chicago I guess

He was probably impressed you recognized him - I’m a hardcore Canucks fan and I wouldn’t have!

-

I think it’s kind of slid under the radar how well the Canucks did to get through Round 1. Sawchenko coming in clutch after barely getting any game action this year is a great story.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's so tough to finish as a lower seed in the AHL's divisional setup, and basically have to start your first two playoff series on the road.

By the time the Canucks get back home, they'll have played five road-games---three in Colorado and two in Ontario, CA. If they can survive that 'trial by fire' this team might have a real shot at doing some serious damage in these Calder Cup playoffs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So any confirmation?.....is Podkolzin enroute to Abbotsford as rumored? He'd be a welcome sight in the five-game series against Ontario.

Reactions: quat

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Still can't understand why Podkolzin hasn't been inserted into the parent Canucks lineup, with somebody like Di Giuseppe coming out. I mean I thought at times Podz was very effective on the forecheck late in the season.

But I suppose at least it's a positive that he's finally getting some playoff hockey action.

In fairness to PDG, he’s been very good on the PK and I think solid at ES.

I look at a guy like Mikheyev - who while hustling better is still accomplishing nothing - and wonder why Podkolzin hasn’t gotten a look there.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
That's got Johansson on two pairings.

lol, god dammit...that's Cicek-Wolanin

McWard/Hirose is seemingly the only pairing not getting caved in the d-zone tonight. Forwards look a step and a half behind their opposition.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Abbotsford loses the opener 3-1. The lone Abby goal was Sasson, unassisted.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A generally disappointing, low event Pacific Division opener against the Reign. Had trouble identifying more than a couple of scoring chances through two periods for Abbotsford.

Canucks came on a bit in the third--but a lot of that pressure was generated when they pulled the goalie with five minutes left in the game. Podkolzin was almost invisible through two periods, but played better in the third. Bains and Sasson might have been the Canucks best players--but then they needed a lot more help.

It looks like D-Petey is sitting out these games. As for Klimovich, it's apparent we won't see him in another game this year. I really hope Allvin and Colliton can clarify what's going on with him once the season is over.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Questions for the Abby watchers:

How is ice-time being distributed on the back end as the playoffs move along?

Is there an obvious top pairing?

Are there any positive signs from "prospects" McWard and Hirose?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McWard has a great set of wheels for a d-man, and is a valuable right-shot defender who's still only 22. He might have a shot down the road.

As or Hirose, he's been better recently and is earning a regular shift in these playoffs.....but his size is a big deterrent. He struggles mightily against an aggressive forecheck.

The d-man who's kind of intriguing in Abbotsford is Filip Johansson, who's quietly had a decent season. He's a fixture on the PP and gets some PK work, in addition to a regular shift. He's also a right-shot defender that ups his value.

I don't know if any of these guys crack the Canucks lineup in the near future.....but all you're looking for right now is continuous improvement at the AHL-level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad