A new contender for worst broadcaster of all time (Leah Hextall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Wow Leah Hextall got a pbp gig? Seems strange since she's never done that before. I remember her doing sports on the local station in Brandon. She was always good at that stuff. Very surprising to see such a drastic change in career. Given that she is a solid broadcaster though I would be that she improves in the new role.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The audio syncing issue was more annoying for me than the PxP. Hearing the puck hit the boards/post or a big hit happen before you see it with your eyes is the most annoying thing possible.

Somehow they didn't fix it throughout the entire game.. horrible video/audio crew.

Reactions: Reaser

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The ESPN+ broadcast was a nightmare. The audio is off and it sounds like their broadcast crew is calling the game remotely from a dungeon. I'll chalk it up to her not being in the building but she did not know the players and struggled to follow play.

They were in the building though, they cut to them standing in the arena at one point in the game.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Really needs to stop being a thing, their voices just don’t work for play by play, especially hers

upload_2021-10-23_9-43-56.gif

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Amazing since I was a kid (59 now)
It was often better to listen to the radio call

or watch the game without sound

it’s a tough game to announce, but there has to be enough people that can keep up

we need a new program to develop refs and pbp announcers. They’re equally cringe inducing at times

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
Hextall......was not good. I found myself switching back and forth to the Spanish broadcast which was funny in its own way. In her defense I will say that pbp is very difficult. They used to have an exhibit at the Hall of Fame where you could do a short pbp over a video of a game and then listen to the tape. Much more difficult than you think.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The audio syncing issue was more annoying for me than the PxP. Hearing the puck hit the boards/post or a big hit happen before you see it with your eyes is the most annoying thing possible.

Somehow they didn't fix it throughout the entire game.. horrible video/audio crew.

Ok that was a broadcast issue? I figured it was my stream that was off. Whole game, the call was like a second or two ahead of the play lol

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would take Hextall over Sawyer any day of the week as an announcer/colour P by P person.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They were in the building though, they cut to them standing in the arena at one point in the game.

How was the audio this off then ? The Stars-Rangers game at least i can excuse since the Stars crew did it from Texas but whats the excuse here ? How does this even happen throughout the whole game ?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’m all for criticizing a broadcaster and have no issue going after Hextall for her (legitimate) weaknesses in PBP.

But it’s a little odd to repeatedly bring up her gender, merit relative to male broadcasters, “diversity signaling” etc if this is not about her being a woman.
Her having the job is about being a woman, at least it’s easier to believe that when she’s all around bad at it. AJ Mleczko, Cassie Campbell, at least they range from decent to good

I know Campbell isn’t the most liked here but she doesn’t have nearly as unanimous a dislike, I’d more likely chalk her critics up to a higher degree of sexism than for Hextal

Leah Hextal is a woman and has a famous name. That’s all she’s got going for her. There are obviously tons more men w famous names around the league, so they have a luxury of selecting a name with some good quality or another.

she’d be fine imo as color commentator, between the glass or co hosting the intermission, but they have to make a “statement” getting a female pbp, and they were hiring names (gretz, messier, etc)

Last edited:

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
How was the audio this off then ? The Stars-Rangers game at least i can excuse since the Stars crew did it from Texas but whats the excuse here ? How does this even happen throughout the whole game ?

The main camera had some kind of lag, I don't know. It was obvious when switching between corner cams and main camera the players were teleporting across the ice to different positions because they weren't synced.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Leah is pretty sharp but at the end of the day it’s hard to take Shortcuts with a craft like PBP. The traditional path is honing your skills in Juniors, College, AHL etc until you are ready for prime time.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Really needs to stop being a thing, their voices just don’t work for play by play, especially hers

I definitely think there are some women with voice talent that would be suited for PbP. Someone like Cedering Fox could train for it and I think she'd probably be great at it.

But you need someone with real range and talent. You can't just throw anyone -- man or woman -- with a bad vocal fry up there because she's somebody's cousin and expect good results.

It's not about practice or training, she just doesn't have the vocal talent, period. When George Lucas was casting someone to dub Darth Vader, he went looking for someone with a very distinctive vocal talent and range. Very few people on Earth were physically capable of voicing the Darth Vader he was looking for.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Very grating, hopefully never have to listen to her again.
I bet they see the criticism, hockey journalists write a bunch of articles about hockey’s sexism problems, and they make a “statement” by giving her the entire SCF.

Not really but I would legit turn down my nice tv for a shit quality internet stream of the Canadian broadcast if it came to that

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Neither did Mike Emrick. She's way beyond that though. I just can't believe they'd put her on air for NHL PBP.
He didn’t have a traditional radio voice but I wouldn’t say he “didn’t have a voice for radio” in the typical rhetorical sense. His voice and energy were awesome, and being distinct imo helped separate him as the main guy.

She just doesn’t have a voice for radio or tv play by play. Grating

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad