GDT: #9 | Canadiens at Flyers | Sunday, October 27, 2024 | 7:00 PM | NBCSP, 93.3 FM

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
List his successes in the salary cap era
Lots of wins coaching bad teams. Briere knows more about hockey than anyone on this board, and he thinks he's doing a good job. I will defer to Briere's opinion. But I get it, the Flyers have been bad for a long time under various coaches and managers, and it's frustrating. But the roster is mediocre, and they're probably better off getting decent draft picks over the next couple of years, so I'm ok with Tortorella for now. But in a few years when the roster will hopefully be good enough to progress in the playoffs, I'm ok with replacing the coach if somebody else better is available.

Lots of wins coaching bad teams. Briere knows more about hockey than anyone on this board, and he thinks he's doing a good job. I will defer to Briere's opinion. But I get it, the Flyers have been bad for a long time under various coaches and managers, and it's frustrating. But the roster is mediocre, and they're probably better off getting decent draft picks over the next couple of years, so I'm ok with Tortorella for now. But in a few years when the roster will hopefully be good enough to progress in the playoffs, I'm ok with replacing the coach if somebody else better is available.
But I'm cooking a nice steak now so can't put too much thought into justifying his performance since the salary cap was put in place.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

More losses than wins. He held Vancouver and NY back. He suppresses important NHL skills which is terrible for development. Development should be a priority right now.

He can take a team that is unlikely to score and make it a little less likely they get scored on. It's coward hockey. That's why he gets less out of good rosters. It slightly elevated a bad roster, which is terrible for drafting.

Briere may know a lot about how to play hockey. He's trash at managing hockey right now. Those are distinct things that often have no relationship to each other. This is a guy who thinks Deslauriers is essential. Nobody who holds that opinion can be good at management. He's fresh off fumbling the last trade deadline, the Gauthier situation, and the Buium pick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Screenshot_20241027_180309_Samsung Internet.jpg

But I'm cooking a nice steak now so can't put too much thought into justifying his performance since the salary cap was put in place.
You can't be cooking a nice steak because you are not a professional chef.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

So many wins with bad teams? When he was winning dude had prime Lundqvist and a Ranger team that was not bad. Without an all time great goalie he hasn't gotten out of the 1st rd but once (Bob was not known as a good playoff goalie at that time). His past 9 coached seasons his teams have missed the post season 5 times. He won the cup 20 years ago. Guy is not as good as coach as he was.

And who's responsible for putting together mediocre rosters? That same power structure you defer to who greenlit the hiring of John. So I wouldn't play the appeal to authority card on that one

Reactions: renberg and BiggE

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Frost is playing, he isn’t that dumb.

Andrae comes in for Z. Don’t hate it but Zamula who has been real bad is still better than EJ.

But we need our vet slop
If Andrae is coming in, I'd actually prefer Zamula to sit. One of them would have had to play their offside. Zamula is having a rough go on his natural side and don't want Andrae coming into his first NHL game this season on his offside.

The time to have them both in the lineup was when Seeler was injured... but, of course, we had the privilege of watching a cooked Johnson on his offside...

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Just goes to show ya, you throw a hissy fit and no show at rookie and training camp...you to can start in the nhl.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Is giving up on a guy you gave nearly 7 million dollars to, after 3 games, good?

Think this is more of the deal they had to cut to get Kolosov to come over rather then Fedotov. If i recall it was something like they told him he would get nhl games within the first month or two or he would be able to head back to the KHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad