Prospect Info: #88 Keith Petruzzelli - signs with marlies

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm getting the feeling Petruzzelli is going to screw over the Wings and sign with like Boston. He should be signed already and heading to GR if he wanted to be here. Numerous college players have already signed so not sure what the problem would be other than he doesn't want to sign with us
His season just ended a few days ago, Give it time Yzerman will get him signed he said that he wants to sign with Detroit as soon as he can there's still like 4 and 1/2 months to go no worries yet.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
His season just ended a few days ago, Give it time Yzerman will get him signed he said that he wants to sign with Detroit as soon as he can there's still like 4 and 1/2 months to go no worries yet.
originally you said mid April but changed it to mid August. Do you happen to have a link that says so? I would like to read up on it if possible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
originally you said mid April but changed it to mid August. Do you happen to have a link that says so? I would like to read up on it if possible.

College guys that can become free agents do so on August 15th traditionally, we talk about it with one or two guys every year. I could link it but most of the google stuff applies to old CBA agreements and individual stories like Blake Wheeler and Anders Lee. Justin Schultz is probably the most recent famous instance of this really upsetting people as the Ducks were peeved to be left at the alter and felt lied to with him saying he wanted to sign continuously.

We will see, it isn't a good sign that he hasn't signed yet, but maybe we are focused on the trade deadline and told him we would circle back mid-April. Petruzzelli holds all the cards now, part of the reason I kept saying I wanted to sign him and turn him pro after his junior year.

A lot of times to get one of these guys you agree to burn a year of service for him and give him a decent bonus to sign this year is usually a part of this. Hopefully Chris Ilitch can afford that these days...

Reactions: Hammettf2b

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Detroit Red Wings Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I actually had that date committed to memory, but that's where I just went to verify. It's always been a late summer deadline for drafted college seniors to sign with their NHL teams though.

In some cases if they spend another year in the USHL or Minor Junior in Canada they can also use this as juniors. I believe Schultz did it as a Junior leaving Wisconsin. I don't remember if you have to have earned your degree or not in that scenario.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
College guys that can become free agents do so on August 15th traditionally, we talk about it with one or two guys every year. I could link it but most of the google stuff applies to old CBA agreements and individual stories like Blake Wheeler and Anders Lee. Justin Schultz is probably the most recent famous instance of this really upsetting people as the Ducks were peeved to be left at the alter and felt lied to with him saying he wanted to sign continuously.

We will see, it isn't a good sign that he hasn't signed yet, but maybe we are focused on the trade deadline and told him we would circle back mid-April. Petruzzelli holds all the cards now, part of the reason I kept saying I wanted to sign him and turn him pro after his junior year.

A lot of times to get one of these guys you agree to burn a year of service for him and give him a decent bonus to sign this year is usually a part of this. Hopefully Chris Ilitch can afford that these days...

Just doesn't make much sense. Signing Petruzzelli wouldn't make any difference in what they do at the deadline. We're talking about the clear top goalie prospect in a system that's desperate for a promising young netminder, the front office probably wants him signed asap and getting some seasoning in GR. With a good showing he could be looking at a role on the Wings next year. It all adds up to the only logical conclusion that Petruzzelli isn't very interested in signing with Wings for whatever reason

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Pretty sure i read somewhere that they can sign with their teams by Mid April but have up to Mid August at the latest but could be wrong.

it's already been mentioned 3 times that it's August 15th. It's on page 18 of the CBA.

Collective Bargaining Agreement

They can sign whenever they want to sign, they just lose their college eligibility so they usually don't until the season is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I have no idea what the hold up is for getting him signed. Sign him and send him to GR so he can practice with the team and maybe get in a game or 2 before the end of the season. Especially with Pickard in Detroit right now this is a good opportunity for him to see some AHL games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe they don't want to put pressure on him to go to GR and have to play? Maybe he's a bit dinged up? Maybe he just wants to focus on finishing his last year of college? Until there are some serious talk of him looking at his options and going elsewhere, I'm not going to worry about it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't know what the academic calendar looks like at Quinnipiac, but he is a senior and presumably close to completing his degree. I wouldn't be surprised if he had things on that end to attend to before signing. I also don't know what AHL roster limits are looking like these days.

On a more general note, if he doesn't want to sign with us, he doesn't want to sign with us. It is not something we control at this point.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah that's why Im really looking forward to see him in the tourney. To me Larsson had a better year for Denver and he just got lit upped in the Danish league, yikes.

On a similar note... Andrew Shortridge, the starter at Quinnipiac during Petruzelli's freshman and soph. years finished up there in 18-19 with a season of 1.51GAA and .94 SV%. Then signed with the Sharks and got absolutely torched in the AHL last season.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Any news about him getting signed up? Whats the wait for?

I have scoured the web for news but it's like crickets out there. Anyone with inside info? I was really hoping he would be in goal at GR already so we could see what we have with him. I have very high hopes for this kid.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Strauss Mann announced he will be leaving Michigan to pursue pro opportunities. I do wonder if we might prefer someone like him over KP, and thus the delay.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00