GDT: #8 | Wild at Flyers | Saturday, October 26, 2024 | 1:00 PM Afternoon Time | NBCSP, 97.5 FM

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Tippett scored at a higher rate than Frost last season at 5x5: 2.31 v 1.77.
Maybe Frost was the boat anchor?
I was clearly talking about this season and how garbage Tippet looks so far.
The difference is when Tippett is struggling he's still out there trying to make things happen, hitting people, forcing turnovers, creating shot opportunities.
No, he barely provides any of those things. Mostly he just kills 90% of the offensive plays when he's on the ice this season.

It's early, but also not encouraging for someone they just signed for 8 years.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Frost as a middle 6 center is still pretty good for a 27th overall pick. He had some popping numbers in junior but often that doesn’t translate as lower leagues reward different styles of play. Watching Peter White in the AHL back in the day you’d think he’d provide something at the NHL level but nope

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost is now only 1 point behind Farabee for 3rd place in scoring in the Torts era. In 12 fewer games.

Farabee has 11 more ESP, while Frost has 10 more PPP.

Reactions: VladDrag

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well Farabee did get benched for almost a whole game last season after a shift Torts hated, but the bigger point is that Frost has produced at a decent level over 2+ seasons now. And this -12 start is not normal. Last season he was +4 and that was with playing plenty of PP and EN minutes where minuses can pile up, and getting no SH minutes where you get a plus if your score but not a minus if you concede.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tippett scored at a higher rate than Frost last season at 5x5: 2.31 v 1.77.
Maybe Frost was the boat anchor?

The difference is when Tippett is struggling he's still out there trying to make things happen, hitting people, forcing turnovers, creating shot opportunities.

Right now his biggest problem is he's shooting like a blind man, missing the net more than he hits it.

Is this last season?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I kept trying to put together a few notes, but I just kept coming back to the same thing...This was the definition of one-line performance. Apart from the top line, the rest of the team was flat out MIA.

View attachment 921994
TK, Couts, Michkov were so good, they are off the chart above, so below is the forward group sorted by xGF/60 for today's game.
View attachment 921998

When it comes to the Frost benching, I can't completely disagree with it in this instance. I didn't think he did a good job in coverage on the Faber goal (he wasn't late coming back like DH said, but he missed his check). He cleanly got beat on another faceoff and it resulted in a GA. I don't like it holding that against him solely, but I get it. The missed shot is frustrating -- but I absolutely put as much blame on Hathaway for passing back to Frost when he had more than 75% of the net open for him. Still, I get an occasional benching.

My issue, as it has been going back to last season, and the season before that, it's clear that Frost will never get a fair shake from Torts. It just won't happen - he's not a Torts-type player. No matter what, Torts will criticize Frost more heavily than other skaters because in his head, if he's not producing, he's not helping the team. He'll point to the plays outlined above as examples to rationalize Frost's benching, neglecting the two plus years of positive defensive impacts he's provided at the NHL. He'll put him with offensive blackholes like Hathaway and currently Tippett and rationalize that the center must be the facilitator of offence and if those guys aren't scoring it's his fault.

I also find it not-completely-incidental that the Frost scratching comes on the same day that the organization sent Jett back....Many players, basically the entire forward group sans Michkov, TK, Couts, were blackholes and deserved limited ice time. We know Torts was the driving force behind keeping Jett here. Could scratching Frost basically be an FU to the front office from Torts?....Listen, I know it's a stretch to say that, and I wouldn't even think that if it wasn't Torts. It's significant speculation, I know that, but we know what type of person Torts is. He's an asshole.

And when it comes to defense, he's almost certainly doing to Frost what he did to Hartnell; assume that he sucks, usually for no reason.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Team looked like dog water with visible floating strings of spit and dirt specks for most of the game yet somehow potted 7 and pulled out a win.

I wasn't able to see this one, but I think I see a reason:

1730002916503.png

Reactions: MayonnaiseOreo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad