GDT: #8 | Wild at Flyers | Saturday, October 26, 2024 | 1:00 PM Afternoon Time | NBCSP, 97.5 FM

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Frost off to a bad start and he sits and I’m ok with that but then I see Tippetts numbers he makes 3x and he is untouchable.
Tippy Poehling Laughton Hathaway all bad or taking penalty after penalty. Ice time increased. Coach is a buffoon.

Lower ice time sure, but these benching are nothing more than small dick syndrome, the guy is a hockey scumbag. Retire and go save dogs, only thing he’s good at.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yes. They'll make excuses for him around here, but his one good play was a lucky bounce off a shot that missed the net, whether he was shooting wide on purpose or just missed?

Late getting back on one goal, did little offensively, another MIA game.

The funny thing is Minnesota plays the safe style people complain about, aggressive forecheck, cycle the puck, set up screens and shoot from the point.

Flyers kept trying to make cute plays and missing connections, then kept it simple, aggressive forecheck, crashed the net and good things happened.

Michkov definitely has better chemistry with Couts, you could see that a couple games ago.
Couts is changing his style, going to the net more than I can remember, in the past he seemed to be more finesse. This is better for offense, but will make it harder for him to cover for linemates.

I don't know what they're going to do with the other lines, probably put Tippett back with Frost and maybe Foerster? One of Cates/Laughton has to play center though both are better at LW.

The thing with Deslauriers is he's actually effective if you limit him to 3-4 shifts a period.
Packing a xGF 58.64% this season. Same second half of last season. But that's not really feasible usage.

Risto may have had his best game as a Flyer, and Seeler looks like he's back, amazing sequence on the PK when Sanheim and Ersson lost their sticks on the 5 on 3, blocks the shot, bats it out of the air then sends it down the ice.

Michkov is as advertised, but still learning, one goal against was due to him attacking in the O-zone instead of cycling back leading to a odd man rush as 4 Flyers were caught down low. Forwards have to be aware of the D-men in the O-zone. Fundamentals. Still learning. But Michkov outscores his mistakes.
Thank you Simone

• Haha
Reactions: bennysflyers16

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
Tippy Poehling Laughton Hathaway all bad or taking penalty after penalty. Ice time increased. Coach is a buffoon.

Lower ice time sure, but these benching are nothing more than small dick syndrome, the guy is a hockey scumbag. Retire and go save dogs, only thing he’s good at.
Lack of continuity in lines is also screwing the team over. Couturier line looks great but as soon as a couple breakdowns occur defensively with that line and the lines will go back into the blender.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
The problem is that we should expect that level of performance every night from players with TK and Coot's contract (not necessarily the point totals but the playdriving + quality chances) and unfortunately Coots will not be able to keep that up because his body is on the verge of total destruction. It's a shame the NHL cap is so stringent, incentivizing teams to overpay players to get "what they deserve". Whatever. I missed the game maybe I'll watch some highlights. Don't expect this stuff to last though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The problem is that we should expect that level of performance every night from players with TK and Coot's contract (not necessarily the point totals but the playdriving + quality chances) and unfortunately Coots will not be able to keep that up because his body is on the verge of total destruction. It's a shame the NHL cap is so stringent, incentivizing teams to overpay players to get "what they deserve". Whatever. I missed the game maybe I'll watch some highlights. Don't expect this stuff to last though.
His play driving has been best on team all season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe Frost's stats would look better if he wasn't tied to the boat anchor that is Tippet.
Tippett scored at a higher rate than Frost last season at 5x5: 2.31 v 1.77.
Maybe Frost was the boat anchor?

Frost off to a bad start and he sits and I’m ok with that but then I see Tippetts numbers he makes 3x and he is untouchable.
The difference is when Tippett is struggling he's still out there trying to make things happen, hitting people, forcing turnovers, creating shot opportunities.

Right now his biggest problem is he's shooting like a blind man, missing the net more than he hits it.

Reactions: Devonator

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Maybe Frost's stats would look better if he wasn't tied to the boat anchor that is Tortorella.
Fixed your post. Sorry. The coach is out to ruin Frost. He doesn’t care for his style of play. IDK what Frost did. Maybe his Father said something wrong about Torts in Toronto? Torts will claim that he’s trying to make a better player out of him when it’s obvious that he’s trying to run him into the ground. It’s really disgusting at this point.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Or maybe they were both good last year and similarly effective in different ways? What does that have to do with this year? Tippett does not look himself right now, labored even, but we have to pretend he's been right as rain?

Reactions: BiggE

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
To hell with culture and system and identity. Just let them play fire wagon hockey at all times. Does anyone think Tortorella had a stroke in the locker room afterwards?

Hmm.....I don't remember Tippett getting scrubs for linemates. I do remember Frost getting Deslauriers and Hathaway on a few occasions. But we won't let things like facts or honesty get in the way, right Dead?

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
I’m not saying sitting Frost is so wrong but looking at Tippets numbers and seeing how he gets a free pass is baffling. Hell the captain was put on the fourth line for heavens sake and his numbers are nowhere near Tippets

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To hell with culture and system and identity. Just let them play fire wagon hockey at all times. Does anyone think Tortorella had a stroke in the locker room afterwards?

Hmm.....I don't remember Tippett getting scrubs for linemates. I do remember Frost getting Deslauriers and Hathaway on a few occasions. But we won't let things like facts or honesty get in the way, right Dead?
Instead of making things up, go to NST and look up who spent the most minutes with Frost last season, Tippett, TK, Atkinson, Farabee. Every center spends a few minutes with other forwards due to line changes, PK (linemate off the ice for 2 minutes, see TK), etc.

Frost, Tippett and Farabee are all off to bad starts this season.
Brink is playing well offensively, but is struggling defensively

xGFrel - GA/GA
Farabee -12.71 - 2/8
Frost -2.45 - 0/9
Poehling -2.27 - 3/5
Brink -1.83 - 3/4
Tippett -1.52 - 1/7

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I kept trying to put together a few notes, but I just kept coming back to the same thing...This was the definition of one-line performance. Apart from the top line, the rest of the team was flat out MIA.

1729981561791.png

TK, Couts, Michkov were so good, they are off the chart above, so below is the forward group sorted by xGF/60 for today's game.
1729981923165.png

When it comes to the Frost benching, I can't completely disagree with it in this instance. I didn't think he did a good job in coverage on the Faber goal (he wasn't late coming back like DH said, but he missed his check). He cleanly got beat on another faceoff and it resulted in a GA. I don't like it holding that against him solely, but I get it. The missed shot is frustrating -- but I absolutely put as much blame on Hathaway for passing back to Frost when he had more than 75% of the net open for him. Still, I get an occasional benching.

My issue, as it has been going back to last season, and the season before that, it's clear that Frost will never get a fair shake from Torts. It just won't happen - he's not a Torts-type player. No matter what, Torts will criticize Frost more heavily than other skaters because in his head, if he's not producing, he's not helping the team. He'll point to the plays outlined above as examples to rationalize Frost's benching, neglecting the two plus years of positive defensive impacts he's provided at the NHL. He'll put him with offensive blackholes like Hathaway and currently Tippett and rationalize that the center must be the facilitator of offence and if those guys aren't scoring it's his fault.

I also find it not-completely-incidental that the Frost scratching comes on the same day that the organization sent Jett back....Many players, basically the entire forward group sans Michkov, TK, Couts, were blackholes and deserved limited ice time. We know Torts was the driving force behind keeping Jett here. Could scratching Frost basically be an FU to the front office from Torts?....Listen, I know it's a stretch to say that, and I wouldn't even think that if it wasn't Torts. It's significant speculation, I know that, but we know what type of person Torts is. He's an asshole.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I like Frost, but Frost has quite literally whiffed on 3 empty nets of late.

he's still one of our better players, but he is the reason he has a few less points this season

Reactions: CerpinTaxt

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
I like Frost and ill admit his season hasn't been good so far. Still no need to bench him when Nicky Fists is your other forward option. This team loves roles so much I'm surprised the org doesn't live in a Texas Roadhouse. Today's game was actually fun even though it was one line that did anything. When that line gets shut down get ready for more lame ass games

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I also find it not-completely-incidental that the Frost scratching comes on the same day that the organization sent Jett back....Many players, basically the entire forward group sans Michkov, TK, Couts, were blackholes and deserved limited ice time. We know Torts was the driving force behind keeping Jett here. Could scratching Frost basically be an FU to the front office from Torts?....Listen, I know it's a stretch to say that, and I wouldn't even think that if it wasn't Torts. It's significant speculation, I know that, but we know what type of person Torts is. He's an asshole.
Cates was a healthy scratch for 4 of 8 games so far, and he was supposed to be a "Tort's favorite."

I think the problem with Frost is simple, he's less than the sum of his parts.

He's fast, but doesn't consistently use his speed.

He's gotten better on defense, but it's less instincts and more playing it safe.

He's worked to get stronger, but he still can't play in the dirty areas effectively, compare to TK who is smaller. Michkov is smaller, but can play in crowds and control the puck (Brink also struggles here) like a much bigger player.

He's a good passer, but isn't really a play driver, he's best in open ice using his speed, better on the PP where he has more room, but 5x5 it always seems he's a 1/2 second slow, passes are blocked or just off the stick.

It's not that Frost is a bad player, he'd be a solid 3C on a playoff team, but he's never going to be a lead dog driving a scoring line. At best a 2C with the right wings, but he's not going to elevate their play. A solid middle six guy but not a cornerstone player.

Torts gets frustrated with him because he sees the raw talent and wants more, but at some point he'll accept that Frost is what he is, and lower his expectations. And I think some people here also need to lower expectations, his problem isn't Torts, Frost just isn't that good.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Cates was a healthy scratch for 4 of 8 games so far, and he was supposed to be a "Tort's favorite."

I think the problem with Frost is simple, he's less than the sum of his parts.

When it comes to Frost overall, I do think there was a time 3-5 years ago where, if he didn't have injuries, and was given equal development time as others such as Cates and Tippett, he could have been a low-end 1C.
He's gotten better on defense, but it's less instincts and more playing it safe.

Who cares, if the net result is having the opposition in your defensive end less than when they are in it? There is a difference between being good in your own end vs having good defensive metrics. Obviously, you want both, but it's been proven the best way to defend is to keep the opposition out of your end in the first place.

He's worked to get stronger, but he still can't play in the dirty areas effectively, compare to TK who is smaller. Michkov is smaller, but can play in crowds and control the puck (Brink also struggles here) like a much bigger player.
Two things in response here:
1) I don't know what you mean, specifically, when you say dirty areas. Do you mean, in front of the net? Do you mean board battles? Do you mean defensive zone play?

2) TK is a legit top line winger and Michkov is trending to be one of the elite players in the league. Frost and Brink don't have to be either one of those players to be effective secondary scorers.

He's a good passer, but isn't really a play driver, he's best in open ice using his speed, better on the PP where he has more room, but 5x5 it always seems he's a 1/2 second slow, passes are blocked or just off the stick.
Last year he was very good at driving xGF and xGA with multiple models, both hockey viz's Magnus and EV's RAPM showed positive play driving ability. Hockey Viz also has a metric called setting, and it attempts to answer the question about how well passes from any given player turn into dangerous shots. He was one of the only positive players last season from the Flyers and is second on the team currently in setting. Sometimes your eyes just don't match what is going on in a larger dataset.

It's not that Frost is a bad player, he'd be a solid 3C on a playoff team, but he's never going to be a lead dog driving a scoring line. At best a 2C with the right wings, but he's not going to elevate their play. A solid middle six guy but not a cornerstone player.

Torts gets frustrated with him because he sees the raw talent and wants more, but at some point he'll accept that Frost is what he is, and lower his expectations. And I think some people here also need to lower expectations, his problem isn't Torts, Frost just isn't that good.

I don't completely disagree here to be honest. I think at this point, it's pretty clear he's a middle-6 center, wingers dependent. I do think there was a low-end 1C in his developmental arc at one point, but it's safe to say that's gone. I'm okay with saying that at this point.

My point, which you've never really acknowledged, is that Frost has never, and will never, be given the same type of leeway, or development chances, that other have gotten. His first year under Torts, when Couts wasn't playing, he should have been the defacto 1st line center. Instead, that went to Cates (TK and 390 mins with Cates vs 153 mins with Frost). Going into last season, Torts was asked about Frost, but said 'what if Cates takes a step forward?' That same season, Frost was scratched like 11 of the first 21 games or something crazy like that. So much so that league-wide sources were picking up the story. Last game of the season last year, with the season on the line, when they needed to score a goal, Frost was benched. There wasn't a gaff, or a missed assignment, like today. Torts just didn't trust him. It's clear that Tort's hasn't changed his mind since the end of last season, and it's not going to change.

Reactions: Magua

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad