8 points, 4 games, 1 week until the deadline

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
EJ is more important for his defense and the minutes he he can play. The offense rounds him out better but it's not really his most important aspect. Let's just see what happen this summer with him, I'm not ready for another disaster scenario.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Avs still have a lot of control over there own fate when it comes to playoffs.

In our final 23 games we play:

Dallas x1
Minny x2
Calgary x2
Kings x2
Nucks x1
Sharks x1
Jets x1

Those are the teams ahead of us in which we are chasing for these last playoff spots.

That's a lot of 4 point games in which we can make big gains on each of those teams. We're 7 points out of a playoff spot right now but that could be just 5 points after tonight with an Avs win. On top of that, were 10 back on the Jets, but with 2 games in hand that could be 6.

Still lots of hockey to be played, an almost half of our remaining games to play are against teams we are fighting to pass for the last playoff spot. If this team keeps playing like it has the past week, we can definitely go on a run, we've outplayed both the Hawks and the Kings now, as well as comfortably beat the lower end teams in the Yotes and Stars.

Half our games are against our competition, the other half of our games include 2 against the Oilers, one against the Sabres, Yotes, Jackets, and Devils. All teams without much to play for at this point.

Its still doable. A tough task for sure, but it all starts with another big win tonight against the Lightning.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If we win all 4 maybe don't sell depending on other results.

Otherwise, blow it up :(

Exactly. I think we have to win out for them to even think about not selling.

If they get a deal they like from Buffalo or another team for O'Reilly they should seriously consider moving him before the deadline regardless of our position in the standings. There's no real guarantee that they'll get a better offer if they wait.

However, if they've had discussions with multiple GMs about him, they probably already have a rough idea of what they can get for him at the draft. We'll see...this should be a real exciting trade deadline regardless.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Id say once we hit the 10 pts back situation I wouldnt be surprised if they traded ROR at the deadline instead of at the draft

within 3 or 4 i bet they dont trade anyone

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I really hope Barrie isn't going anywhere either. I honestly think I'd be more comfortable trading EJ than Barrie. But I want them both signed long term this off season and management making it their first priority to find the partner for both of them.

Just to be clear. I wouldn't trade anyone of them. But EJ has sort of peaked. We know what we're giving if so. We don't know with Barrie. He is on pace for 50-ish points when playing next to Guenin. Who knows what he could do with a real partner for 82 games? Plus. RFA at the end of the deal. EJ is a UFA. If negotiations goes south.

But to be clear, again, I want them both signed loooong term and out of trade discussions.

Have you lost your mind, Robin? Even if EJ has peaked and Barrie has the potential to put up 70 points, I'm still keeping EJ.

I think EJ can still get better and the part about the D partner would apply to him as well. He's a legit top pairing defenseman and could be even better if he had someone closer to his talent level playing with him. I love Barrie but his defense will never be as good as EJ's is now. I don't think it'll even be close.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Well so far we beat Chicago and Tampa against everyone's predictions. So far so good.

If we come out of the next 3 games with 6 points and we haven't gained any ground...ugh

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
EJ is way more important than Barrie to this team, but Barrie is also critical to the team. Barrie isn't ever going to be known for his defense, but offensively, he is one of the best defensemen in the league right now. 50 point defensemen don't exactly grow on trees, and he is going to be one for a while.

When EJ returns and is back into game shape, him and Barrie should be paired up just to see if that pairing can work. At this point with time running out on the season, and the pressure likely cranked up, it is as good of time as any to see how the pairing works. Yeah it may cost a game or two (which is why this won't likely happen), but the knowledge that would give could totally change the Avs needs or confirm them.

If the Avs win their next 3 games (seems like an uphill battle), they would still need a 1.32 points per game pace to hit the 94 point mark (where they should make the playoffs). That is back down to manageable, but still a tough task.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
EJ is way more important than Barrie to this team, but Barrie is also critical to the team. Barrie isn't ever going to be known for his defense, but offensively, he is one of the best defensemen in the league right now. 50 point defensemen don't exactly grow on trees, and he is going to be one for a while.

When EJ returns and is back into game shape, him and Barrie should be paired up just to see if that pairing can work. At this point with time running out on the season, and the pressure likely cranked up, it is as good of time as any to see how the pairing works. Yeah it may cost a game or two (which is why this won't likely happen), but the knowledge that would give could totally change the Avs needs or confirm them.

If the Avs win their next 3 games (seems like an uphill battle), they would still need a 1.32 points per game pace to hit the 94 point mark (where they should make the playoffs). That is back down to manageable, but still a tough task.

I can't see that pairing ever working. EJ is wasted being the defensive player on his pairing. EJ isn't going to rush up with his back up being Barrie and when EJ isn't rushing EJ isn't the player he should be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I can't see that pairing ever working. EJ is wasted being the defensive player on his pairing. EJ isn't going to rush up with his back up being Barrie and when EJ isn't rushing EJ isn't the player he should be.

I understand that is that argument against it, and understand that it isn't likely to work (see my past posts on the subject). This is a great opportunity to really see what you have in Barrie. If he can be that #2 guy to EJ, it completely changes the needs of the team going forward. If he can't, then it is status quo.

Barrie and EJ would both be defensemen that drive possession and can both move the puck very well. That pairing would hopefully push the pace offensively and pin other teams top lines in their own zone.... or at very least move the puck out of their own zone quickly so they don't get pinned constantly. EJ could still rush the puck, I don't see how that really changes. Yeah Hejda is better defensively, but an odd man rush is still and odd man rush. You don't want them either way... and Barrie's best defensive skill is his stick work which is the best defense against an odd man rush. In many ways, the pairing would be similar to a Yandle-EJ pairing if it worked.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I understand that is that argument against it, and understand that it isn't likely to work (see my past posts on the subject). This is a great opportunity to really see what you have in Barrie. If he can be that #2 guy to EJ, it completely changes the needs of the team going forward. If he can't, then it is status quo.

Barrie and EJ would both be defensemen that drive possession and can both move the puck very well. That pairing would hopefully push the pace offensively and pin other teams top lines in their own zone.... or at very least move the puck out of their own zone quickly so they don't get pinned constantly. EJ could still rush the puck, I don't see how that really changes. Yeah Hejda is better defensively, but an odd man rush is still and odd man rush. You don't want them either way... and Barrie's best defensive skill is his stick work which is the best defense against an odd man rush. In many ways, the pairing would be similar to a Yandle-EJ pairing if it worked.

Thats a fun pairing, our pp would be crazy good...ideally.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
So, just to follow up as of Friday night.

The Avs are still chasing some combo of the Kings, Sharks, Wild, and Flames for final 2 (3) playoff spots. The Nucks and Jets still sit on the outside edge of being caught.

The Jets are holding steady at 74 points. There is a chance someone catches them, but they feel like a team of destiny as far as making it this year.

Nucks at 73. Vancouver has to contend with the Kings being a team that COULD displace them at number 2, but I don't really think Calgary or SJ have enough in them to push them out of the top 3 in the Pacific. That said, there is a SLIGHT chance that injuries could do just that...though not sure how much it helps the Avs unless the Nucks really tank.

The aforementioned Kings are still fighting for a point or two with the Ducks, so they could move from 70 to 72 tonight. Calgary and SJ both have a shot to knock them out of 3rd in the Pacific, but I just don't see it happening.

That leaves Calgary, Minny, SJ, and Colorado charging for the 8th spot, with Minny holding on at 71, and Calgary and SJ at 70 and 68 respectively.

Colorado must win in regulation against Minny this weekend. If that happens they will close the gap to 4 points between them and the Wild. Minny will have 1 game in hand. Colorado would have 67, Minny 71

Calgary is off over the weekend. If the Avs win they will be 3 points behind the Flames. Flames will have 1 game in hand. Colorado would have 67, Calgary would have 70.

SJ is up against Ottawa on Saturday. A regulation loss puts the Avs 1 point behind the Sharks. Colorado would have 67, SJ 68.

So....luck needs to hold over the weekend, but the week is coming into form. If all goes right The Avs will have cut the playoff gap in half in 8 days.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Any lead a team has on us needs to have another point added to it because the Avs don't have the tiebreaker on any of them. They'd need to completely leapfrog them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad