GDT: [#7] Minnesota Wild @ Dallas Stars, 7:00 PM EST (NBCSN)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
On the bright side, Spezza has looked good these past 2 games and appears to be his old self again as of right now.

Also, it was good to see Heiskanen get a point.

On the downside, the rest of the forwards (excluding Shore, who I thought was very good) played horribly.

Janmark is not a 2nd line player.
It's time for the Lindell-Klingberg pairing to be split up.

Hintz has been disappointing. Probably needs to be sent down

I know it's only been 7 games so the record doesn't worry me too much, but when you're losing games simply because you can't score more than 1 goal then losing becomes something to seriously worry about. A slow start is never a good sign either, but I sure hope this means we get our problems out of the way early and at least we have time to figure things out now, unlike last season when it was too late (one potentially positive note from a slow start, just don't dig yourself a hole). Especially when you have a GM who keeps telling himself this team is fine and that the depth is good.

Even if this team ends up in a playoff spot somehow they don't have the depth to do anything at all. It's time for a trade to be made. It was time last year.

Even if Radulov and Nichushkin end up healthy and having good years and Spezza does too, our new worry is quickly becoming our 2nd line LW spot. A lot of us overlooked that this offseason but it's clear Janmark is not even near good enough for that spot.

Reactions: Frozen Failure

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Heiskanen is good. A good team has room for 4 of the forwards you've listed. And quit ragging on Comeau.

Anyway, it's just a team adrift with no focus and effort after 3 days off. Their puck luck sucks, their puck focus sucks, their puck possession sucks. Full stop. At some point someone's gonna have to put on their big boy pants and point out that this is the National Hockey League. Not some junior level circus. They're paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to go play gladiatorial sports and compete for a championship, not mess around in office chairs playing with dudebros. Quite frankly, it's just another Dallas sports team. A little media coverage turns on the hype train and no one can realize we've got massive holes everywhere. Can we quit with the bullshit and actually compete at an NHL level?

Strip the Captaincy from Benn, or trade him. Trade some of these depth forwards for something new. Maybe get some adults into the locker room again. Take the brain slugs off and maybe get them back to playing hockey, not psychiatric evaluation for DSM IV diagnoses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
On the bright side, Spezza has looked good these past 2 games and appears to be his old self again as of right now.

Also, it was good to see Heiskanen get a point.

On the downside, the rest of the forwards (excluding Shore, who I thought was very good) played horribly.

Janmark is not a 2nd line player.
It's time for the Lindell-Klingberg pairing to be split up.

Hintz has been disappointing. Probably needs to be sent down

I know it's only been 7 games so the record doesn't worry me too much, but when you're losing games simply because you can't score more than 1 goal then losing becomes something to seriously worry about. A slow start is never a good sign either, but I sure hope this means we get our problems out of the way early and at least we have time to figure things out now, unlike last season when it was too late (one potentially positive note from a slow start, just don't dig yourself a hole). Especially when you have a GM who keeps telling himself this team is fine and that the depth is good.

Even if this team ends up in a playoff spot somehow they don't have the depth to do anything at all. It's time for a trade to be made. It was time last year.

Even if Radulov and Nichushkin end up healthy and having good years and Spezza does too, our new worry is quickly becoming our 2nd line LW spot. A lot of us overlooked that this offseason but it's clear Janmark is not even near good enough for that spot.

Yes, yes, yes, extra yes, yep, yep. I agree.

Wojtek Wolski come on down, we've got a 2nd line LW spot open for you here in Dallas!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd be happy to give Wolski a shot. Nice jolt of skill, even if he doesn't bring much of anything else.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
What's wrong with Radek Faksa? I remember posters were pegging him as the next Sean Couturier. He is clearly not able to handle playing against the best players other teams have to offer. I don't want to hear an excuse regarding linemates. He has taken a massive step in the wrong direction.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What's wrong with Radek Faksa? I remember posters were pegging him as the next Sean Couturier. He is clearly not able to handle playing against the best players other teams have to offer. I don't want to hear an excuse regarding linemates. He has taken a massive step in the wrong direction.

Still good defensively but he has absolutely no offensive game going right now. I'd like to see him in the slot on the PP still. Don't see why it hasn't been tried yet

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Still good defensively but he has absolutely no offensive game going right now. I'd like to see him in the slot on the PP still. Don't see why it hasn't been tried yet

Calling Radek Faksa a future 40 point player was a reach going into this season, yet for some reason there was a ton of belief in his offensive game.

Defensively, I haven't noted much, nor been impressed with his on-ice play. It appears as if the shoes he is expected to fill are beyond his capacity. I was his biggest fan prior to this year (but not deluded on future point predictions), however he really needs to step up his game.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Calling Radek Faksa a future 40 point player was a reach going into this season, yet for some reason there was a ton of belief in his offensive game.

Defensively, I haven't noted much, nor been impressed with his on-ice play. It appears as if the shoes he is expected to fill are beyond his capacity. I was his biggest fan prior to this year (but not deluded on future point predictions), however he really needs to step up his game.

I think 40 points shouldn't be out of reach for him honestly. That's not asking for a whole lot from him, but if there is no PP time involved I don't see him hitting it right now. Back to back 33 point seasons so I figured he was gonna improve that but so far this season and the Stars depth tell me otherwise.

Only 7 games in though and I really hope this is just "adjusting" to the new system for the Stars. At least they have time to fix this unlike last year when it was too late.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think 40 points shouldn't be out of reach for him honestly. That's not asking for a whole lot from him, but if there is no PP time involved I don't see him hitting it right now. Back to back 33 point seasons so I figured he was gonna improve that but so far this season and the Stars depth tell me otherwise.

Only 7 games in though and I really hope this is just "adjusting" to the new system for the Stars. At least they have time to fix this unlike last year when it was too late.

Going from 33 pts to 40 pts is over a 20% increase in scoring. It's a pretty significant jump to make, especially for a guy who sees no time with Benn and Seguin and isn't known for his offensive production.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Going from 33 pts to 40 pts is over a 20% increase in scoring. It's a pretty significant jump to make, especially for a guy who sees no time with Benn and Seguin and isn't known for his offensive production.

Yeah he'd only make the jump if he got first PP time. He should be the net front presence on the PP and I really can't believe he hasn't been tried out there yet. He has a good enough release too and could open up for a one timer in the slot as well

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

You may not wanna hear it but name me only one top6 guy Faksa had on his line on a regular basis. There's not one. Over all those years he had rookies and grinders only while getting tough assignments against opponents top lines and lots of defensive zone starts but few PP-time. This isn't how you develop a prospect you have high hopes for. Couturier played with nearly all of the Flyers top guys and started scoring with Giroux and Voracek. If the Stars really wanted Faksa to score more then they probably shouldn't have used him they way they did.

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
I’ve never been so discouraged with a stars team before.

No chemistry at all, wrong mix of players and no trade pieces.

Nill is worthless

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Honka looked great moving the puck last night, Shore looked like he should have had the shot on the top line, at least last night. Spezza looked good.

But, a meh game. Glad I went with the 10 game pack this year, not half or full season. Didn't get my money's worth last night. Feels like a long season of mediocre hockey.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Is it really necessary for Lindell and Klingberg to play 27 minutes when Miro is there?

No, it is definitely not necessary. They have not been good together and should be split up. Unfortunately there's no one for Miro to play with though that can play 20+ minutes a night. Lindell should be with him and Methot with Klingberg

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No, it is definitely not necessary. They have not been good together and should be split up. Unfortunately there's no one for Miro to play with though that can play 20+ minutes a night. Lindell should be with him and Methot with Klingberg

Methots knees can't handle too many minutes. He's only playing second paring because Johns is out and the other three aren't that good .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You may not wanna hear it but name me only one top6 guy Faksa had on his line on a regular basis. There's not one. Over all those years he had rookies and grinders only while getting tough assignments against opponents top lines and lots of defensive zone starts but few PP-time. This isn't how you develop a prospect you have high hopes for. Couturier played with nearly all of the Flyers top guys and started scoring with Giroux and Voracek. If the Stars really wanted Faksa to score more then they probably shouldn't have used him they way they did.

The same went for Couturier early in his career. He wasn't playing with top dogs in Philly and was trusted to shut down top lines.

I'm not defending this comparison. I thought it was awful. Look at the jump in shot attempts that Couturier saw last season when he began playing w/ Jake and Giroux. We don't have depth similar to Philly, even comparing previous seasons.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The same went for Couturier early in his career. He wasn't playing with top dogs in Philly and was trusted to shut down top lines.

I'm not defending this comparison. I thought it was awful. Look at the jump in shot attempts that Couturier saw last season when he began playing w/ Jake and Giroux. We don't have depth similar to Philly, even comparing previous seasons.

He was always their 2nd line Center playing big minutes along top6 players like Simmonds or Schenn pretty much all career long. Faksa never had that kind of an opportunity.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the loss of team synergy. In the pre-season and first two games everyone seemed really on the same page, smart plays, set plays off faceoffs, great puck control and movement.. since then we are chasing the game, horrible passing and structure and always seem a step behind.

Reactions: Kcb12345

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Methot should not get on the ice enough to be Klingbergs partner. He needs to be on a bottom pair at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad