GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Doesnt matter how Cutter tuirns out. Flyers had a high value asset and it looks like they squandered it.

JD is nowhere near Provorov level. JD right now is not good.

They had an opportunity to turn what I thought was a bad pick into a good prospect via trade; thanks to his college season he was overrated. The flaws were all there to see, but the red light turning on tends to blind teams to them.

They actually moved him, but did so for the worst reasons and for a terrible option.

The whole process is a loss from the start.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I love how this thread has turned into asking @JojoTheWhale to sift through the stats to find the worst Flyers dman of the last 2 decades.

I didn't think Hagg would be that player honestly. Genuinely an impressive feat.

1. I enjoy answering dopey questions that come to mind entirely too much.

2. We deserve some kind of reward for putting up with what may be the worst tenured Forward (Rinaldo) and Defenseman of the century in the whole league almost concurrently.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Zamula gives you solid defensive impacts without committing a ton of Penalties. But basically nothing else.

Hagg gave you nothing. At his worst, Hagg was a negative in basically every way we have to measure a player’s effectiveness. He’s my best guess at the worst Flyer Defenseman we’ve seen in the last ~25 years given an appropriate threshold of minimum Games. I have zero doubt he was significantly worse than AMac for example.

I fondly remember a couple people insisting Hagg was better than Ghost, based on 1) Hakstol saying so, and 2) the team won!

Upon being asked how Hakstol is a suitable authority, we were told to never question his authority. Upon being asked what exactly Hagg did to contribute to any wins, we were told "They won!"

I've engaged in a lot of sports discourse. In the NCAA, which is a septic tank, and among DC fans who actually defended Bruce Allen. The Hagg defenses remain the lowest point for sports discussion I've been a part of.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Is this the worst season ever by a Flyers' coach?
tenor.gif

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Dunno if anyone stuck around for the TNT postgame last night, but Biz kept ribbing Bouch over "working for the Flyers" until Bouch feebly pushed back that NBC Sports Philly is a separate company, which intensified the mocking. Biz knows.

A highlight of the Caps radio broadcast was during intermission where they were trying to make sense of what the Flyers were doing. With Luchanko, with...everything, really. Calling out how Michkov stands out extra because the Flyers have been devoid of serious creativity and skill "for years." Pointing out how hard it is to have the worst PP for three years on accident.

They were genuinely confused trying to work out this team and explain it to their listeners. Anyone who says "But we might become Buffalo!" fails to grasp we are already that. This team is a leaguewide laughingstock which deserves and gets no respect, and their management and a chunk of fans arrogantly demand it anyway.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
1. I enjoy answering dopey questions that come to mind entirely too much.

2. We deserve some kind of reward for putting up with what may be the worst tenured Forward (Rinaldo) and Defenseman of the century in the whole league almost concurrently.
You made me curious too....

Hagg's similar skaters (18-21)

1729794838084.png

Rinaldo's similar skaters (13-16)
1729794991834.png

...The last 3 names on this list...

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I believe this is the time of the season when one will get asked "Why arent you just enjoying the team playing? Why do you hate them and when will you stop being a fan?" on a daily

• Haha
Reactions: bennysflyers16

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I didn't think Hagg would be that player honestly. Genuinely an impressive feat.

I'll never forget driving home to the beach after a late November night at my first good job, listening to the start of a Flyers game on the radio. Tim Saunders was running through the top rookies that season and Coatesy piped in to ask Tim if he thought Hagg should be in the Calder conversation because he led all rookies in hits and blocked shots, and that had to count for something.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I'll never forget driving home to the beach after a late November night at my first good job, listening to the start of a Flyers game on the radio. Tim Saunders was running through the top rookies that season and Coatesy piped in to ask Tim if he thought Hagg should be in the Calder conversation because he led all rookies in hits and blocked shots, and that had to count for something.

"Highest number of hits by second month of the season" is peak Flyers banner

Reactions: Rich Nixon

CutOnDime97

Michkov to Misa
Mar 29, 2008
We deserve some kind of reward for putting up with what may be the worst tenured Forward (Rinaldo) and Defenseman of the century in the whole league almost concurrently.

Rinaldo was one of the best hitters I can remember watching. So at least there was some entertainment with him.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Rinaldo was one of the best hitters I can remember watching. So at least there was some entertainment with him.
I seem to remember by the end of Rinaldo's Flyers tenure that he was cutting down on taking penalties, and even started to draw opponents into taking penalties on him instead.

That was the only way I remember him adding value on the ice, but the problem at that time was the refs almost never gave him the benefit of the doubt (understandably), so I also remember being incredibly frustrated the refs would ignore blatant penalties against him constantly.

Reactions: CutOnDime97

CutOnDime97

Michkov to Misa
Mar 29, 2008
I seem to remember by the end of Rinaldo's Flyers tenure that he was cutting down on taking penalties, and even started to draw opponents into taking penalties on him instead.

That was the only way I remember him adding value on the ice, but the problem at that time was the refs almost never gave him the benefit of the doubt (understandably), so I also remember being incredibly frustrated the refs would ignore blatant penalties against him constantly.
I do also remember Berube dressing him for Game 7 in the playoffs vs NYR and putting him out there in the 3rd where he was on the ice for a crucial GA. Don't remember all the details but that one was more on Berube.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad