GDT: #7 | Flyers at Capitals | Wednesday, October 23rd, 2024 | 7:30 PM | TNT, 93.3 FM

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As much as the ineptitude of the Keystone Kops routine in the first half of the game was comical, the Flyers put on a big-time push that I didn't expect. Mind you, it was as much the Capitals taking their foot off the gas and then dismantling the pedals altogether, but I was glad to see extended minutes of offensive push with Michkov in the middle of it.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
As much as the ineptitude of the Keystone Kops routine in the first half of the game was comical, the Flyers put on a big-time push that I didn't expect. Mind you, it was as much the Capitals taking their foot off the gas and then dismantling the pedals altogether, but I was glad to see extended minutes of offensive push with Michkov in the middle of it.
I think when Michkov goes to bed at night he has a little smile on his face because he's bewildered at the fact that he's the best player on this team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weird game. Until they went down 4-0, Flyers looked awful. First goal on Fedotov, 2nd on Zamula who should have tied up his man, third on Michkov who came across ice to press and left the right side wide open, 4th on Fedotov.

Then Fedotov woke up and remembered why he was the best goalie in the KHL a couple years ago, started moving his feet and clapping his hands ("Around and Around"). And the team woke up, really woke up. Basically dominated the game, could have won 6-4 with a little puck luck. Frost blew two opportunities, then made a bad penalty at the worst possible time (a trend in this game). Despite that his best game of the season.

This isn't a bad team, it isn't a good team. Players who were solid the past two seasons didn't forget how to play hockey. Problem is right now they're still figuring out how to play together. And they need goalies to make plays, like Fedotov did after he woke up.

Zamula and Drysdale are bad, the difference is Zamula is 24 with lots of experience and limited talent, Drysdale is 22, missed a lot of PT and has a lot more raw talent. At some point Andrae will come up and push Zamula.

Deslauriers does more than fight, he goes to the net and creates havoc for short stretches.
Couts did so in the PP for Michkov's goal but doesn't do so on a regular basis.
Foerster hasn't become that PF. And that's why so many plays die around the net.

Against teams like the Caps and Isles, the undersized Flyers tend to be exposed, they've gotten faster but they're still too small. Not enough guys who can to to the net or clear the net on the defensive end. Since Kaplan looks like a flop, Berglund might be the only prospect who can fill that role on offense.

This is what the next two years will look like, a fun team that can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and lose games they should win.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
I'm so conflicted watching them now. On the one hand hate losing and they are really bad but on the other if they are really really bad Michkov gets some help. Going to be a long year.

MayonnaiseOreo

Undiagnosed Everything
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
Honestly just wanted to see a Michkov goal in person and Ovi net one to get closer to the record and both happened so I'm satisfied enough. Glad to see some fight from them late in the 2nd and during the 3rd so but they looked as bad as I've ever seen them for the first 2/3 of the game.

I'm okay with losing since they need to suck but not when it's how they played for the first 38 minutes. Frost also can't bury the puck to save his life. No clue how he didn't score tonight with the chances he had.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
MM really turned it on and fedotov actually played well second half shockingly. I was hoping they would tie, but another nail in torts coffin is fine

Reactions: Larry44

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Honestly just wanted to see a Michkov goal in person and Ovi net one to get closer to the record and both happened so I'm satisfied enough.

TBH I'd count this as a win also.

Watching the highlights before going to the office (two horrible things to start the day with).

For the Michkov goal, did they switch during the play or how come he was among the two players closer to the own net (him and Seeler) when he made that incorrect play going to the left?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Michkov is scoring, the team is losing and will likely pick top-5 at the draft. Isn't it exactly what most of us where hoping for?
... it just feels wrong

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
A few notes:

-I don’t mind watching the team lose, I just want to watch fun hockey at this point
-Fedotov made a few decent saves but he just doesn’t move well enough and can’t track the puck
-Couts-Mich-TK was very good tonight, fun to watch
-special mention for Mich — so much fun to watch. Love seeing his abilities on the PP
-Frost had his best game of the season It’s games like this where you see his skill level and it’s frustrating that it’s not there every night
- Tippett/Farabee/Foerster where are you guys at?
- Take Z out for a game or two. Give Andrae a chance.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Michkov is scoring, the team is losing and will likely pick top-5 at the draft. Isn't it exactly what most of us where hoping for?
... it just feels wrong
Exactly? No. Because they weren't trying to do this. They were trying to compete. They're locked into long term contracts that make no sense and that they can't and/ or won't be able to move, and have a general dearth of meaningful assets, and when they do get a chance to stock up, they aim for the wrong guys because they value the wrong things.

We're f***ed until they make real actual changes at the top.

Reactions: Tripod

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Gauthier is ass, and has low hockey IQ on a Tippett level, we lose the trade probably but we didn’t lose that much ( he looks AHL bound ) I see it as addition by subtraction, the org woulda signed him for 5 years because he’s gritty for more than he’s worth. Drysdale is ass but at least he’ll he gone. Drysdale is Provy level and as a PP QB and he’s touted as an offensive guy, guy might find himself out of the league in a few years, he’s been dreadful.
Doesnt matter how Cutter tuirns out. Flyers had a high value asset and it looks like they squandered it.

JD is nowhere near Provorov level. JD right now is not good.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Unpopular opinions

Z might be worse than Hagg.

Bold tanking strategy Cotton to leave the ice and give the team an open empty net shot

Fedotov look competent for 30 out of 60 minutes. Baby steps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad