OT: 69th Obsequious Banter Thread: The Nicest Thread Of Them All...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Watched a movie called "Arctic" last night, starring Mads Mikkelsen. Solid movie that kept my interest the entire time. Basically about a guy who is stranded in the arctic and living solo in his crashed plane and has to make a decision to leave the plane and try to find help. I highly recommend giving it a watch.

Also we watched all of Carnival Row on Amazon Prime over the weekend, only 8 episodes. People hyped the shit out of it, it was good but not great.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Watched a movie called "Arctic" last night, starring Mads Mikkelsen. Solid movie that kept my interest the entire time. Basically about a guy who is stranded in the arctic and living solo in his crashed plane and has to make a decision to leave the plane and try to find help. I highly recommend giving it a watch.

Also we watched all of Carnival Row on Amazon Prime over the weekend, only 8 episodes. People hyped the **** out of it, it was good but not great.

Well, they made the ideal casting choice for that movie. Either him or Viggo Mortensen.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Also we watched all of Carnival Row on Amazon Prime over the weekend, only 8 episodes. People hyped the **** out of it, it was good but not great.

Did he have to fight any wolves like Liam Neeson?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
But did he sleep inside it?
How is a polar bear going to sleep inside of a human being? Are people like TARDISesisessss, bigger on the inside?

(Also, for any cfb, who else thinks the Mountain West has a huge Doctor Who fan who decided to lift that design for the conference logo? It's too uncanny not to be the intent.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How is a polar bear going to sleep inside of a human being? Are people like TARDISesisessss, bigger on the inside?

(Also, for any cfb, who else thinks the Mountain West has a huge Doctor Who fan who decided to lift that design for the conference logo? It's too uncanny not to be the intent.

Split 'em open and wear 'em like a cape. DUH

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Split 'em open and wear 'em like a cape. DUH
The logistics of that belie the intent of the preposition. At that point, the bear would be sleeping under the human (buddy), not in it. One does not sleep in a blanket (cape), but in a bed, and under a blanket. When asked if he was sleeping inside it, the idea was to be ensconced, or at a minimum properly surrounded. Without deboning and prepping a person ala chicken roulade, there's no conceivable way that a person contains enough meat material (there's lots of intestines, if undone and spread that would work) to envelope an adult polar bear.

drcrusher

Jul 12, 2006
Theres only about 2 or 3 routes that go out that way. I think the main one is the one that goes from DC to Chicago - Im going to hate myself for this, but i think its Route 51, the cardinal? I think theres another one that runs through that direction as well... 29 maybe? Theyre both long distance trains, and the reason they are a little more expensive because a meal is included in the ticket price, generally. Or used to be, anyway. Its been a few years now.

I know this post was a few days ago, but I've been on vacation and enjoying not looking at the internet much, so I missed it.

The Cardinal goes between NYC and Chicago, passing through DC on the way, and it goes a southerly route, dipping down to Cincinnati, hitting a few Kentucky stops, coming back up through WV and VA back up to DC and then along the Northeast Corridor to NYC.

I took this train from Chicago through to Wilmington in late 2012. Reasons were numerous (not wanting to fly over the winter holidays being chief. Also, I enjoy train travel. So I thought taking the train might be nice.) Note: I was in coach, because for a person traveling alone, a first-class ticket for a roomette is not at all cost-effective (vs. flying).

Based on my experience, I advise: do not take this train.

It was literally the worst single experience of my life. Prior to that, running the 2012 Boston Marathon in 90 degree heat had been the worst experience of my life. After that soul-destroying, delayed 29 (!!!) hours on the Cardinal squeezed in next to a large woman who took up a good third of my seat, in front of the world's worst mother with a baby that screamed every five minutes between midnight and 2 a.m., never mind the absolute inability for this group of mostly-adults to not make a complete horror show out of the lavatories (such that the conductor scolded our car multiple times about how we were grown-ups and shouldn't be making such a mess) ...... I would suffer those hours of running Boston through heat exhaustion, risking my very health and well-being, over and over and over again, if someone told me I had to do that OR take the Cardinal again.

It is the standard against which I measure all unpleasant things. Would I rather have a stick in the eye, or take the Cardinal? Stick in the eye, please.

Would I rather have the hand doctor stitch a skin graft to the tip of my sliced-off index finger under fading local anesthetic again, or take the Cardinal? Get out that needle, doctor, and never mind the Novocaine.

I can make it through ANY horrible, dull, pointless, awful meeting, if only I remind myself what it was like to sit 29 hours on a train in half a seat with a baby screaming nonstop and its mother telling it to "shut up."

If you're going to take the Amtrak between Chicago and DC, take the Capitol Limited. That's the route I took on my way out to the Midwest that year. I don't expect everyone's trip to unfold quite the way mine did, BUT there are other factors: the cars on that route are more comfortable. The people on it were nicer. I recall no disgusting, horrifying restroom situations. DO NOT TAKE THE CARDINAL. (Unless you have to because you're going to one of the intermediate stops. Then, I might advise driving instead.)

This has been your friendly service message from Dr. Crusher.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The logistics of that belie the intent of the preposition. At that point, the bear would be sleeping under the human (buddy), not in it. One does not sleep in a blanket (cape), but in a bed, and under a blanket. When asked if he was sleeping inside it, the idea was to be ensconced, or at a minimum properly surrounded. Without deboning and prepping a person ala chicken roulade, there's no conceivable way that a person contains enough meat material (there's lots of intestines, if undone and spread that would work) to envelope an adult polar bear.

What if the bear used the intestines as thread and made a sleeping bag of the person? Of course he'd be hanging out of most of it, but humans arent fully enveloped in adult sleeping bags all the time either.

This has taken a turn way too dark.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I know this post was a few days ago, but I've been on vacation and enjoying not looking at the internet much, so I missed it.

The Cardinal goes between NYC and Chicago, passing through DC on the way, and it goes a southerly route, dipping down to Cincinnati, hitting a few Kentucky stops, coming back up through WV and VA back up to DC and then along the Northeast Corridor to NYC.

I took this train from Chicago through to Wilmington in late 2012. Reasons were numerous (not wanting to fly over the winter holidays being chief. Also, I enjoy train travel. So I thought taking the train might be nice.) Note: I was in coach, because for a person traveling alone, a first-class ticket for a roomette is not at all cost-effective (vs. flying).

Based on my experience, I advise: do not take this train.

It was literally the worst single experience of my life. Prior to that, running the 2012 Boston Marathon in 90 degree heat had been the worst experience of my life. After that soul-destroying, delayed 29 (!!!) hours on the Cardinal squeezed in next to a large woman who took up a good third of my seat, in front of the world's worst mother with a baby that screamed every five minutes between midnight and 2 a.m., never mind the absolute inability for this group of mostly-adults to not make a complete horror show out of the lavatories (such that the conductor scolded our car multiple times about how we were grown-ups and shouldn't be making such a mess) ...... I would suffer those hours of running Boston through heat exhaustion, risking my very health and well-being, over and over and over again, if someone told me I had to do that OR take the Cardinal again.

It is the standard against which I measure all unpleasant things. Would I rather have a stick in the eye, or take the Cardinal? Stick in the eye, please.

Would I rather have the hand doctor stitch a skin graft to the tip of my sliced-off index finger under fading local anesthetic again, or take the Cardinal? Get out that needle, doctor, and never mind the Novocaine.

I can make it through ANY horrible, dull, pointless, awful meeting, if only I remind myself what it was like to sit 29 hours on a train in half a seat with a baby screaming nonstop and its mother telling it to "shut up."

If you're going to take the Amtrak between Chicago and DC, take the Capitol Limited. That's the route I took on my way out to the Midwest that year. I don't expect everyone's trip to unfold quite the way mine did, BUT there are other factors: the cars on that route are more comfortable. The people on it were nicer. I recall no disgusting, horrifying restroom situations. DO NOT TAKE THE CARDINAL. (Unless you have to because you're going to one of the intermediate stops. Then, I might advise driving instead.)

This has been your friendly service message from Dr. Crusher.
My parents took a train from Rochester to Orlando once because my stepdad was worried about plane travel so soon after 9/11. His fear of flying went away damn quick after having a similar type of experience. That or they expected the trains they saw in the movies and not a glorified bus that stopped at every podunk town and had no food, blankets, or anything ever available.

Reactions: drcrusher

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
What if the bear used the intestines as thread and made a sleeping bag of the person? Of course he'd be hanging out of most of it, but humans arent fully enveloped in adult sleeping bags all the time either.

This has taken a turn way too dark.
"What if" is an admission of the short-sighted argument being made that a bear could be sufficiently in a human while sleeping.

I'm unsure if a bear is capable of the fine precision that is necessary to use the guts as thread.

Most adults decide to hang out of a sleeping bag. A person can easily contort (such as sleeping in a partial fetal position) in order to be fully inside of the sleeping bag.

I don't believe this is dark at all, just a perfunctory extrapolation upon the original premise brought up by yourself to a movie brought up by Danko that hearkened back to a reference of Skywalker and the tauntaun. Now, I believe it nigh impossible for a man to fight a polar bear successfully, so if there is a victor sleeping in the carcass of the loser, my mind immediately jumps to the polar bear sleeping in a person. YMMV

shirtless-bear-fighter-5-of-5_248fba06dd.jpg

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
"What if" is an admission of the short-sighted argument being made that a bear could be sufficiently in a human while sleeping.

I'm unsure if a bear is capable of the fine precision that is necessary to use the guts as thread.

Most adults decide to hang out of a sleeping bag. A person can easily contort (such as sleeping in a partial fetal position) in order to be fully inside of the sleeping bag.

I don't believe this is dark at all, just a perfunctory extrapolation upon the original premise brought up by yourself to a movie brought up by Danko that hearkened back to a reference of Skywalker and the tauntaun. Now, I believe it nigh impossible for a man to fight a polar bear successfully, so if there is a victor sleeping in the carcass of the loser, my mind immediately jumps to the polar bear sleeping in a person. YMMV

shirtless-bear-fighter-5-of-5_248fba06dd.jpg

What if you wrap a blanket around yourself, arent you then, in essence, 'in' it? As a kid i used to make a bedtime burrito out of myself, and i think that would cover the necessities of being 'in' the blanket.

Also, my bedtime burrito was not a sandwich, @Striiker , because burritos arent sandwiches, much like hot dogs.

Reactions: Defect and Amorgus

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
What if you wrap a blanket around yourself, arent you then, in essence, 'in' it? As a kid i used to make a bedtime burrito out of myself, and i think that would cover the necessities of being 'in' the blanket.

Also, my bedtime burrito was not a sandwich, @Striiker , because burritos arent sandwiches, much like hot dogs.
In this scenario, yes, you are in the blanket. However, the blanket proportions to you (more especially you as a child) are vastly different than the proportions of an adult polar bear to that of a person. Also, I was working under the premise that the person would be worn as a cape, ergo blanket that is draped on top of something.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
In this scenario, yes, you are in the blanket. However, the blanket proportions to you (more especially you as a child) are vastly different than the proportions of an adult polar bear to that of a person. Also, I was working under the premise that the person would be worn as a cape, ergo blanket that is draped on top of something.

Are you calling the polar bear fat?!?! Polar bear lives matter too!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I still have my scientists running tests to determine my stance on the “burrito = sandwich” concept. I’m currently undecided.

If you want to fight about that, it was @Beef Invictus who said it definitely was one.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Are you calling the polar bear fat?!?! Polar bear lives matter too!

World Wildlife Fund said:
Almost every aspect of the polar bears design is engineered for warmth. Their bodies are designed to be lined with a cozy layer of fat, which can be up to 3.4 inches thick. This fat not only helps polar bears keep warm, but acts as an energy store for slow hunting periods.
- Fat and Fur: Polar Bear Insulation

Because it is literally a survival adaptation tool, a healthy polar bear is indeed, fat.

What you're looking for is more likely something along the trail of sizism. Now, whether big, or small, all are welcome under this tent. Ranging from 775 to 1500 lbs, they are big animals, with lots of curves. Don't let that intimidate you.

And since Polar Bears have black skin, using a slogan to represent the plight of the bear can be aptly said, Black Lives Matter.

Edit: (link may be busted... :( )
yBl4gJP.gif

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
- Fat and Fur: Polar Bear Insulation

Because it is literally a survival adaptation tool, a healthy polar bear is indeed, fat.

What you're looking for is more likely something along the trail of sizism. Now, whether big, or small, all are welcome under this tent. Ranging from 775 to 1500 lbs, they are big animals, with lots of curves. Don't let that intimidate you.

And since Polar Bears have black skin, using a slogan to represent the plight of the bear can be aptly said, Black Lives Matter.

Im just going to put this out here - i hope were both on the same page - that this has been one giant joke and should not be taken serious.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Im just going to put this out here - i hope were both on the same page - that this has been one giant joke and should not be taken serious.
HA! Sucker. You blinked first, what a n00b.

When this all began there was in reference to a person being a Tardis, with a Mountain West Conference looking like a Doctor Who logo. C'mon man.

51538339583165b5ed28a606cfeaefe1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad