Post-Game Talk: #62: Flames at Flyers, Monday, February 29, 2016

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
When the Flames only had one goal, I told my wife not to worry... The Flyers still had plenty of time to screw it up. They came pretty damn close, too. Thankfully, they held it off at the very end and then got that empty net goal.

It is taxing to watch these kinds of Flyers games. They have been in these positions before, and then lost the damn game many times...

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Start getting used to it ;)

Great game from Giroux despite the late game turnover. Looked excellent on the PK, PP, 5v5 and the 4v4. Dont know his numbers on the dot tonight but he usually kills that. Schenn with one of his most dangerous nights, could have had 5 goals tonight if the first counted (his glove was clearly behind his leg pad which was clearly behind the line and the puck hit his glove) and also if he scored on that breakaway chance. Loved the effort tonight except for that minute or so in the 3rd. Refs were brutal as usual, but good game overall. Happy with the results :)

I don't know if there has been a game in which six d-men have registered points. Five? Yes, a few including one game in which four defensemen scored. Perhaps one of the scribes will verify.

EliteProvorovSanheim

Jun 28, 2015
Hextall needs to resign B Schenn nice to see him with the hat trick and did ghost hit a wall pt wise even with his assist tonight.

The way Schenn has played of late has his price tag escalating beyond what Couts (4.25M) and Simmonds (4M) makes and he signs contract more toward $5M AAV.

If Schenn wants more then Hextall has a major conundrum on his hands.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The bad news for Brayden Schenn is that his first hat trick came on Leap Year Day and will only be able to commemorate that like 10 more times the rest of his life.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
The way Schenn has played of late has his price tag escalating beyond what Couts (4.25M) and Simmonds (4M) makes and he signs contract more toward $5M AAV.

If Schenn wants more then Hextall has a major conundrum on his hands.

Would worry about that. He doesn't bring the d game like coots or the goal scoring and leadership of simmonds.

As for the league in general. Last summer was a fluke, young, unproven guys getting huge unnecessary contracts. Saad doesn't deserve that deal. It was just the market and the market has definitely changed. Especially with the cap potentially going down, Canadian dollar continuously uncertain and a lot more teams in cap troubles.

Love schenn, but he doesn't deserve 1 mil more then simmonds or much more then coots. 4.5 in this market

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If Raffle was not so selfless with the empty net I think Giroux would have had his 5th point.

Do we actually have a slim chance to make the playoffs?

Nope, I thought so too initially, but Schultz passed off the wall and Simmonds tapped it to Raffl before Raffl gave it back.

Yeh, if the Flyers go ~11-7-2 (.600%, 24 more points) in the last 20 games there is a semi-decent chance they can creep in... they are at .556% right now on the year, which is 22 points per 20 games..

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So Carter and Richards netted us:

Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Cousins
Voracek.

That may have been the greatest trade of all time.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Just noticed that someone threw a shoe on the ice after Schenn's third goal. :huh:

hqdefault.jpg

chinpokomon?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Schenn will be that hard to resign, even if he finishes with 60 points, that's really where he was expected to be at this point. With the flat cap, player expectations will be deflated, and no one is going to give up the picks required to make an offer Hextall can't match. Schenn also knows this team is going somewhere, and I think he wants to be part of it. He might get more than Simmonds, I'd think something like Couts. And it won't surprise me if Hextall extends Simmonds with a sweetner over his current salary to take his deal into his early 30s.

They'll be dumping a lot of salary off the defense the next two years (Medvedev $3M, Schultz $2+m, Streit $5.25M) and bringing in cheap forwards, so they can afford to pay their core guys over the next 3-4 years without any pain.

I think VV is here for the same reason Manning is here, until some big young guys show up. This team really doesn't have a lot of size, and you don't want Simmonds playing enforcer, Gudas is a marked man, who else brings that aspect to this team? In two years they'll have Morin, Provorov and Sanheim on defense with Myers on the way, maybe Ghoul as a forward, AK, Lindblom, won't surprise me if Hextall looks for a bigger guy who can skate for the 4th line. Konecny and Leier will bring speed, but you need to balance the water sprites with some bullfrogs.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Wow, what a game... I'm so impressed with Schenn. 4 point night for G, exactly what he needed, hopefully he can slide into top 10 in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad