GDT: #6 | Capitals at Flyers | Tuesday, October 22, 2024 | 6:00 PM Frenzy Time | ESPN

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
I think part of it is as a fan you will always want your team to win. It feels dirty actually rooting for your team to lose even if it’s for the best. The only way to get a top pick though is an ugly season where there isn’t much joy involved
nope not me....I chuckled giddily when that Carlson shot banked off a dman's skate (Zamula?).

Better for the heart to miss playoffs then lose deep in playoffs. 2000 devils series still haunts me to this day....

For 2025 is better to bottom out.

Reactions: scumpup

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
nope not me....I chuckled giddily when that Carlson shot banked off a dman's skate (Zamula?).

Better for the heart to miss playoffs then lose deep in playoffs. 2000 devils series still haunts me to this day....

For 2025 is better to bottom out.
Then you are kinda hoping large swaths of the players suck which include some we are putting some hope in in the future or players that are expendable have no value because they are terrible

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Then you are kinda hoping large swaths of the players suck which include some we are putting some hope in in the future or players that are expendable have no value because they are terrible
Of course I want to see Michkov, Foerster, Frost ,Farabee, Ersson do well. But yes, I want the team to get bad results this year. Tippett, Konecny I don't really care as I think both are flawed players and won't be useful when the team rebounds.

Build around your blue chippers. Michkov is one, get a 1C then you have 3 out 4 blue chippers to build around. (MM, new 1c, and hopefully Zavragin) Then you just need a 1D and the tough part of the rebuild is finished.

You add your depth players of the Frost, Foerster ilk who are much much easier to find/replace.

I think Briere as slimy as he is wants to take this route, but doesn't have enough gravitas to deal with Tortorella.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
wednesdays line up Tortasmella style

Laughton cates Michkov
nick d poehling hathaway
tipper jett tk
farabee coots xxxxxxxx

Seeler drysdale
sanheim york
johnson risto
zamula

PP 1 Laughton, Poehling, tippett, Michkov, Drysdale
pp2 Cates, hathaway, jett, zamula, tk

only playing michkov because of the heat it would cause sitting him
Problems solved lmao

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's pretty telling that I have been a fan since 1980, travelled to Ottawa to watch the Flyers live before, yet could have watched tonight's game and just didn't even care to bother. That's what they have done....made a lifelong fan not care anymore.

New era is right

Also...I thought Seeler would fix the defense? How about the whisperer? He not whispering anymore....lol.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They should rebuild.

They put together one of the youngest teams in the league and play like a young, inexperienced team.

God the FO sucks! This is awful to watch.

Reality check, what do you think a rebuild looks like? It's ugly as sin. Get used to it.

This is a team that is pressing, struggling to finish plays, gets caught out of position, etc.
That's what happens when you put a very young team on the ice against veteran laden teams.
They make mistakes, they make one too many passes, they don't know when to gamble.

This game came down to the Flyers blowing 3 breakaways and Couts hitting the cross bar while the Caps had two SH breakaways and scored on both. The third goal was a lucky bounce off Zamula's skate.

“Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Somewhere in between lies realty.”

At some point they'll get the breaks, go on a run and think they've turned the corner.
And that will be as misleading as the current stretch.

This is a talented young team with some serious flaws, they need two top six centers and a top four LHD. And maybe a true franchise goalie (Ersson might be more suited to be a 1B).

Right now, Frost and Couts are 3C material, Poehling and Cates 4C and Laughton better at LW.
York - Sanheim are fine, but you need another pair to go with them.

On the other hand, I'm not giving up on Drysdale, he reminds me of Sanheim a few years ago when he tried to do too much on a regular basis and was a mistake waiting to happen.

TK and Tippett are pressing, but they have a tendency to go hot and cold. When they get hot the goals come in bunches.

Zamula is a placeholder as is Risto, may take two years but they're not in the future plan.

Brink is improving, but has a way to go.
Not sure there's much more in Farabee, but it might help if he had a real center.

It's going to be a long season, so will 2025-26. Rebuilds take time.

Torts won't quit, though he might strangle one of his players at some point.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
This is a talented young team with some serious flaws, they need two top six centers and a top four LHD. And maybe a true franchise goalie (Ersson might be more suited to be a 1B).
I agree with a lot of your post.... but

This is NOT a talented young team, I dont know how you can make that statement. The struggles are not mainly due to youth as you alluded, they are losing exactly because of a significant lack of talent across 3 levels.

Their best dman is a 3d on a cup winner
Their best C is a 3 C on a cup winner
Their best goalie is a backup on a cup winner.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
you want to talk about high end talent well the flyers have the most former first rounders of anyone in the league!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They have very good young wings, if they had better centers, the wings would be far more productive. For the last decade, they would have 4-5 forwards and a couple D-men and the rest of the lineup was patchwork. Now they need to add a couple guys at the top but the young depth is there.

Drysdale is talented, he's really raw right now (missed a good part of three seasons and is only 22), tries too hard to make plays and makes mistakes.
York and Sanheim are fine. At some point Andrae is going to replace Zamula at 3LHD unless Zamula makes a huge turnaround.

To me, Frost is the biggest disappointment so far, another game where he really did nothing, if you think he's an average 3C that wouldn't be a big deal, but if you think he's an above average 2C as some have suggested, he's really playing well below expectations.

This season, unless they swing a big trade for a top 6 center under 25 they're stuck with Frost, Couts, Cates and Poehling. Luchanko is probably going back to the CHL and Laughton is better at LW (and best traded to make room at the TDL for a LHV forward).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad