GDT: #6 ⋅ SJS @ ANA ⋅ 7:15 PM PDT

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm glad we're implementing the Face Off Rico Initiative.

Faceoffs for the game
  • Carlsson: 0/7 (0.0%)
  • Fabbri: 4/3 (57.3%)

Leo needs to work on his FO’s if he is going to take that next step to becoming a legit 1C who can play in all situations.

Cronin needs to keep putting him out there, only way he is really going to learn is facing off in a real game situations against the top guys in the league.

That is really my only concern with him. Everything else he seems to be improving.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I fell asleep after the dull and disappointing first period. Sounds like it got better after that, so yay. Glad we beat the Sharks and that Gauthier managed to do a thing.

Are planning on sleeping through the 2nd and 3rd periods from now on?

Because it solved our PP problems and gave the team a real boost.

John

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
He is too easily knocked off the puck or stick checked. He had an easy tap in last night on far post and SJ dman just chopped down on his stick blade and knocked Z off behind the net.
I was yelling at him on that one. It's not even that he got knocked away so easily (although that's part of it). He needed to stop right outside the crease and take the punishment to make a play. If he does that, he's got a goal. Instead he kept skating backward until he was five or six feet past the goal where he both couldn't reach the rebound AND he was easily moved.

Reactions: Bender66

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, Cronin needs to let Leo keep taking faceoffs even when he sucks complete ass. I get it late in the game when you're trying to protect a lead you'll let the vets handle it. But kids suck at faceoffs, it's just part of the learning curve in pro hockey as a centerman.

Granted an 0-fer is awful, but there's not many 19 year olds in the NHL that are going to be elite (or even good) in the faceoff dot.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Dostal was amazing again. Terry was too.

I think Fabbri is the perfect fit for that line and I think he has just enough skill to be a "first line winger" in the way you could plug just about anybody with Getz/Perry as long as they can get them the pucks.

Nice to see a good game from Gauthier. I loved the THUD sound when his shot hit the goalies pads. Guy has a rocket.

Zegras... just put the guy at center. He is so lost on the wing. We are ruining him.

SJ getting so many odd man scoring chances leads me to believe that coaching is an issue. SJ coach probably looked at our game plan and just said "do this and you'll get chance after chance". We are more skilled than them, why aren't we getting that many 2v1's? Especially against SJ. And giving up that many chances isn't very defense first. I find it concerning.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, Cronin needs to let Leo keep taking faceoffs even when he sucks complete ass. I get it late in the game when you're trying to protect a lead you'll let the vets handle it. But kids suck at faceoffs, it's just part of the learning curve in pro hockey as a centerman.

Granted an 0-fer is awful, but there's not many 19 year olds in the NHL that are going to be elite (or even good) in the faceoff dot.
Yes but he also still needs a qualified coach to work 1 on 1 with him on improving this area of his game. It's a an inherently coachable/improvable skill compared to hockey IQ where you either have it or you don't.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I was yelling at him on that one. It's not even that he got knocked away so easily (although that's part of it). He needed to stop right outside the crease and take the punishment to make a play. If he does that, he's got a goal. Instead he kept skating backward until he was five or six feet past the goal where he both couldn't reach the rebound AND he was easily moved.
He needs to learn the lesson Terry learned a couple years ago (and rediscovered this year). When you’re a string bean, you can’t win those physical battles by trying to overpower the other guy. You win by anticipating and having the quicker stick, so even if you end up on your ass you’ve taken the puck and moved it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Terry is a menace on the forecheck in a way that I’m just not sure Zegras has in him. I agree that if Zegras is going to become a great player, he has to focus on anticipation. He HAS to know what defenders are going to do before they do it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Dostal was amazing again. Terry was too.

I think Fabbri is the perfect fit for that line and I think he has just enough skill to be a "first line winger" in the way you could plug just about anybody with Getz/Perry as long as they can get them the pucks.

Nice to see a good game from Gauthier. I loved the THUD sound when his shot hit the goalies pads. Guy has a rocket.

Zegras... just put the guy at center. He is so lost on the wing. We are ruining him.

SJ getting so many odd man scoring chances leads me to believe that coaching is an issue. SJ coach probably looked at our game plan and just said "do this and you'll get chance after chance". We are more skilled than them, why aren't we getting that many 2v1's? Especially against SJ. And giving up that many chances isn't very defense first. I find it concerning.
If nothing else, Fabbri's speed helps open up room for Leo and Cutter to operate. It was obvious to everyone that while the kids weren't exactly lighting it up on their own, Killorn was holding them back and making it that much harder for them to execute.

I understand the idea behind putting a seasoned veteran on a line with two guys with sparse NHL experience but in today's game, Killorn's lack of speed and poor execution is not going to help these guys get opportunities to improve if they have to spend more shifts than not either fighting the puck in their own zone or trying to get it back in the neutral and defensive zones.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Okay so if the plan is to just ruin zegras let’s get crazy

Zegras + fowler + gibson
For
Jiricek + sillinger + 1st(with top 10 protection)+ goalie merk/tark + 2nd

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Okay so if the plan is to just ruin zegras let’s get crazy

Zegras + fowler + gibson
For
Jiricek + sillinger + 1st(with top 10 protection)+ goalie merk/tark + 2nd

The cap floor exists. That deal outside of Jiricek doesn't interest me at all to begin with. A Zegras deal needs a better main piece than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad