GDT: #6 ⋅ SJS @ ANA ⋅ 7:15 PM PDT

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

With an optional skate this morning, it's unclear what the blue line will look like with Pavel Mintyukov returning from a bout of food poisoning which caused him to miss Sunday's game. But based on yesterday's practice, there will be a bit of line shuffling with the forwards sans the Vatrano-Strome-Terry line.

Robby Fabbri and Alex Killorn will swap lines and Isac Lundeström––who returns from an upper-body injury––and Mason McTavish will do the same. The idea is to jumpstart the rest of the lines offensively as the Vatrano-Strome-Terry line has been doing most of the heavy lifting so far.

"(McTavish's) line has not done anything," Cronin said. "We were all expecting Mac to take a big jump. McTavish should be a 30-goal scorer in this league. He can shoot a puck, he's strong as a bull. He gets up and down the ice pretty well. He's not a razzle-dazzle skill guy. He should be like (Brady) Tkachuk in Ottawa––a power forward who just lives at the other team's net.

He's got to drive pucks deep and with Leason and McGinn, they're just going to forecheck. Get them in deep and get in front of the other team's net or get into that pocket and rip shots. Your game's very simple. I think when he gets with other players, he tries to be a skilled guy. And that doesn't mean he can't use his skill. But I think his food chain, the top, has got to be to drive the game, get to the front of the net and win puck battles on the cycle."

• Love
Reactions: ohcomeonref

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1729628548907.png

Reactions: Static

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Wow, feel like he’s more disappointed with Mctavish than even some of the other forwards. To be sure, Mason hasn’t been great outside of one game but I really think Terrys been our only good forward. Leo has probably been the best amongst the remainder (still haven’t loved his play so far) , but Mason just sort of blends in with everyone else - Don’t think he’s been appreciably better or worse

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wow, feel like he’s more disappointed with Mctavish than even some of the other forwards. To be sure, Mason hasn’t been great outside of one game but I really think Terrys been our only good forward. Leo has probably been the best amongst the remainder (still haven’t loved his play so far) , but Mason just sort of blends in with everyone else - Don’t think he’s been appreciably better or worse
I think the message is that the gap between what Mac has brought and what he should be bringing is the largest on the team, and I agree.

He wasn't just demoted, Cronin ripped into him lol
Well, he admitted to different standards for players at the end of last season, so this is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohcomeonref

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I the message is that the gap between what Mac has brought and what he should be bringing is the largest on the team, and I agree.

Well, he admitted to different standards for players at the end of last season, so this is good.
I just hope he’s got enough skill to work with now. I agree with Cronin that in theory he needs to play more like that. Though, I have seen him make some fancy plays before. He needs to start producing so they had to switch something.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I just hope he’s got enough skill to work with now. I agree with Cronin that in theory he needs to play more like that. Though, I have seen him make some fancy plays before. He needs to start producing so they had to switch something.
Honestly, they are putting Mac on our best line. This is a pseudo promotion, so he better not waste it. It should be humiliating for him if that line suddenly stops working with him on it.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Kesler accused our team doctors of inappropriate dosages of pain medication that caused some medical problems for him. I believe him and he should be angry.

I believe the context was more wide spread around the league but I do remember that.

Reactions: Static

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I mean, Tkachuk is 6'4" 230 but I get where Cronin's coming from.

This is year four for Mac, time to start showing what you can do and stop being a passenger. D+4 was also Brady's breakout season, so hopefully Mason can follow suit. Five shots in five games is not going to cut it.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I disagree. McTavish has been noticeable in his awfulness. Others have had their moments of putridity (Gauthier, Strome, Zegras), and others have been mostly invisible (Vatrano, Leason), but the only one who rivals McTavish in terms of consistently bad play is Killorn. And while this is hardly a heartening notion, at least with Killorn there's a built in excuse of old age. McTavish should be getting better. He's been much worse.

I have no idea if this "demotion" will work. He'll certainly be getting much easier matchups. I hate Lundestrom with Zegras, but I understand the impetus for these changes and can't argue with the reasoning behind them. Let's hope for good results!

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I disagree. McTavish has been noticeable in his awfulness. Others have had their moments of putridity (Gauthier, Strome, Zegras), and others have been mostly invisible (Vatrano, Leason), but the only one who rivals McTavish in terms of consistently bad play is Killorn. And while this is hardly a heartening notion, at least with Killorn there's a built in excuse of old age. McTavish should be getting better. He's been much worse.

I have no idea if this "demotion" will work. He'll certainly be getting much easier matchups. I hate Lundestrom with Zegras, but I understand the impetus for these changes and can't argue with the reasoning behind them. Let's hope for good results!
Agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s been any worse than many others but I agree with @Static that the gap between what he’s done and what he should be doing is larger than some.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s been any worse than many others but I agree with @Static that the gap between what he’s done and what he should be doing is larger than some.
His xGF per 60 is worse than all the non-4th liners by quite a bit. His scoring chance % is the worst as well. By the eye test and by statistics, McTavish has been worse than all the guys who are supposed to be decent.

So yes, we can agree to disagree, but objectively (and subjectively to me), McTavish has been the worst forward on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad