5pt night for McDavid (and goty candidate?)

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Wow just came back from Cp and what an embarrassment. And I am not going to say flame fans but the wanna be fans did a great job of making themself look like fools. It's sad when they are grasping at everything to make themselves feel good cause their team is fighting it right now. Nice job Cp fans hold your head up high because you deserve it being such classy fans (what an embarrassment for the flames franchise to even have that site on the net.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Incredible player who is on a tear right now. Goal isn't even close to that Coleman goal though as far as goals of the year go.

Reactions: IlikeEich

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I don't understand why people care about putting a meaningless "GOTY candidate" label on things, 10 games into a season.

Who cares about GOTY?...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Braun isn't known as a speedster, but it's still crazy that a d-man can have like 5 strides on McDavid and he's already lost.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Well no, but he's up there.

Give it time. Let him prove last season wasn't a fluke. Trust me. Plus he's clearly pretty good at killing penalties.

Draisaitl's my favorite player in the league. He's not better than McDavid, but he's absolutely developed into a rock solid elite number one centre. He's just lucky enough to play with McDavid.

There's a combo I'm sad I never got to see. Draisaitl and Hemsky.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Did McDavid score another goal I'm not aware of? Where was the GOTY candidate?

Oiler fans are sad.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015

Oiler fans are sad.
Oiler fans didn't put it on there as GOTY. There is however a small contingent of fans outside of the Oilers who do follow McDavid.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Incredible player who is on a tear right now. Goal isn't even close to that Coleman goal though as far as goals of the year go.

Agreed, GOTY has gotta be somethin special- Coleman's was special.

McDavid's was just a technically sound and speedy beaut- nice goal, but it's the best player in the world playing his best hockey. He made some nice moves and scored. Never seen a one-handed wrister like Coleman's dough.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Dude is probably going to drop 120 points on a team with zero depth.

A non-depthy team with a strong linemate (or two) (especially one/some you got chemistry with) is an ideal situation for your scoring numbers. You don't have to worry about sharing crucial ice time with anyone else (unless your coach is Babs). This is how Olli Jokinen had seasons with 89 and 91 points.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Oiler fans are sad.
GOTY, probably won't be in the conversation. But this was about a 5 point night and a nice goal, which McDavid makes look easy. You come into the thread mocking the post, and their fans are sad? Look in a mirror.

Last edited:
Reactions: PGW and Frosty415

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'm thinking that McDavid is this generations Gretzky. I'm NOT saying he's as good as Wayne, but in the same way that Wayne was dominant in the eighties, Connor might be dominant in twenties (ok...saying twenties sounds odd).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not even the goal of the night, but it does look like this McDavid fellow might be pretty good at ice hockey.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I actually wonder if the way McDavid/Draisaitl are playing will change the amount of ice time stars get in this league.

Is 23-24 minutes a night really that absurd? Or is it just old coaching methodology?

The leafs wouldn't be better if Matthews played 5 more minutes a game?

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
And had 49 points in one calendar month -- going +32 during the month (November, 1983).

I do think McDavid is the overall "best" player since Mario Lemieux. He has the extremely rare combination of uber-fast skating in full control of the puck and elite hockey-IQ.

I don't think McDavid's puck handling + vision is quite as good as Lemieux's (and his vision certainly not as good as Gretzky's), but it's not that far off. (Mario was on a different level, however, when it comes to beating goaltenders with an arsenal of shots/dekes/moves).

Since I've been watching hockey, from the mid-1980s on, the three best players I've seen are:
1. Gretzky up to September 1991
2. Lemieux 1987 to 1996
3. McDavid October 2016 to now

Everybody else -- Bourque, Messier, Forsberg, Yzerman, Hasek, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lidstrom... plus a few more I can't think of right now -- are just a step or two behind.

as a fan of the early-mid 90s

100% spot on.

hes the best ive seen since mario

Reactions: snipes

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Too early to start compiling goal of the year candidates, but McDavid had a great night. Having a great start to the year. With how consistent he is, he could potentially put up great numbers this season if he stays healthy and the Oilers can keep scoring goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad