GDT: #56 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Monday, May 10, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NBCSP, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Brian Elliott was good to start the season when used as a backup:

Jan & Feb: 5-1-0, .931 SV%, 2.03 GAA
Mar to now: 9-8-2, .871 SV%, 3.49 GAA

oh....and in both splits, he has better numbers than Hart.

And believe it or not, in Elliott's 25 games this year, he has banked points at a 98 pt pace/82 games.

Reactions: 04hockey

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not what I want to see but what I think will happen. AV and his complete coaching staff are back next season. Some young players such as Sanheim, Myers, Ghost and TK get moved out for veteran replacements. Things fall part by January 1 and the Flyers are in worse situation than they are now. Fletcher, AV and his staff get canned by the AS break. Another season gets dribbled down the drain.

Has Fletcher traded ANY prospects for veterans in two years?
Only assets traded were a 2nd and 3rd for Braun (going rate).
So I'll believe it when I see it.

Now you might see young players traded for different young players, say Sanheim for a young RHD.

But even then I'll bet that it's more likely that Ghost, Voracek and JVR get moved for cap room and part of a deal (b/c with many teams, they'll have to be even money, so we might take a RHD making $4M, a veteran center making $3M in return for say Voracek and a 2nd rd pick). A second tier prospect/young player like NAK might be included in a deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brian Elliott was good to start the season when used as a backup:

Jan & Feb: 5-1-0, .931 SV%, 2.03 GAA
Mar to now: 9-8-2, .871 SV%, 3.49 GAA

oh....and in both splits, he has better numbers than Hart.

And believe it or not, in Elliott's 25 games this year, he has banked points at a 98 pt pace/82 games.

The plan wasn't wrong, Hart looked like a franchise goalie over the summer, he played 40 of 69 games in the regular season, then 14 of 16 in the playoffs. So expecting him to play 35-40 games and Elliott 16-21 was reasonable. And had Elliott been limited to that workload, he'd been fine as the backup goalie. That limited workload also meant that no one like Talbot would consider signing with the Flyers.

Crap happens. NO ONE predicted Hart's meltdown.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Been a fan the entire existence of the team. Watched every game I was able to watch. First time ever, stopped watching about 10 games ago. Pretty much sums it up for my feelings, about this season and state of this team.
I haven't watched since like...mid Feb. I feel you. It's sad, tbh. I live and die with this team, and even watched every game of the JVR season.

Not this year. f*** everybody who makes decisions. Worthless.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Lol, do you actually beleive that ALL the Flyers goalies suddenly forgot hoe to play their positions ?

or maybe, just maybe the problem lies deeper then just the guy in the big leg pads...
It's THE WORST TEAM SAVE PERCENTAGE OF ANY NHL TEAM IN ALMOST 30 YEARS!!!!

That covers a hell of a lot of seasons by a hell of a lot of bad teams.

The Flyers are flawed, but they sure as hell aren't one of the worst teams in the last 30 years of NHL hockey. And yet tons of worse teams over the last 30 years were able to put up better team save percentages.

So while I am not laying all of the blame on the goaltenders, I am certainly laying the brunt of it.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Nah, it could be improved next season:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Farabee - Hayes - Allison
van Riemsdyk - Laughton - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Aube-Kubel

additions: Frost, Laczynski
subractions: ???

Frost should start next year as the 3C, Laczynski as the 4C/4RW
Laughton moves to 3LW/4C?
But a healthy Lindblom should be in the top 9
Time to wheel and deal

Provorov - Sanheim
York - Braun
Gostisbehere - Myers
Morin - Hagg

Myers should move back up to the top 4 next year.
Ghost doesn't really pair well with Braun for some reason, but he does with Hagg.
Morin will be #7/#8 if he resigns.
Still in flux.
I am talking about the season that is just ending.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

tenor.gif

What a f***ing dickhead. Take every single one of these cronies out behind the shed.

I've thought about the flyers for 9 minutes and am already boiling with rage. My mistake, really

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am talking about the season that is just ending.

Keeping G and Couts together was something I've always preached, but Frost went down and Patrick went south, and Laughton really isn't a 3C.

And Lindblom just wasn't ready for a major role this season, one good game followed by two meh games, obviously stamina was an issue, kid needs to get a better off-season conditioning program than chemotherapy.

This was a clusterf---k season for us in so many ways, I'm waiting to hear that TK or Provorov or Myers were "long haulers." You could see what COVID did to some athletes, Curry on the Sixers took about 3 months to get back to 100%. That may explain part of what happened in March, and why they rebounded a bit in April, maybe some players got healthy and regained their stamina.

All teams weren't hit equally by COVID, Flyers, Devils, Canucks were among the worst hit.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I have said it all year. The goalies haven't been great and there have been stretches where they are outright bad. But if the Flyers had traded their starter for the opponents every game this year I doubt the Flyers are in the playoffs or that their record is even much better.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Also not only am I hoping for a lose to improve draft position I'm hoping for a downright embarrassing blow out. Something where its clear as day the team has given upon this coaching staff. I want to see Fletcher gag on a 10-0 loss when he slobber out something about giving Alain "Almost" Vingeault another chance next year because we were the only team dealing with covid. I mean how can you possibly just fire a guy that almost won a cup and almost won a Jack Adam's.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This isn't the worst team the Flyers iced since winning the Cups but the final product and result is the most embarrassing on-ice display and least entertaining. All-in-all, whatever weaker squads may have existed there were fewer examples of ignominy than this year. There could be causes ranging from coaches/management to talent to the virus or any other combination of reasons but this is not a team to endorse as anything close to representing dignity.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Has there ever been a time when we cared less about the team awards? The one exception is Oskar, who is a no brainer. They should just skip the Ashbee.

TK is worthy of the most improved, maybe even MVP.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
This isn't the worst team the Flyers iced since winning the Cups but the final product and result is the most embarrassing on-ice display and least entertaining. All-in-all, whatever weaker squads may have existed there were fewer examples of ignominy than this year. There could be causes ranging from coaches/management to talent to the virus or any other combination of reasons but this is not a team to endorse as anything close to representing dignity.

istockphoto-615925978-170667a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad