5 Things I Think I’d Do

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
5 Things I Think I’d Do from the hotstove
I agree with all of them

1 – I think I’d put the lines back to what they were in the Montreal game, meaning: JVR-Bozak-Kessel, Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin, Raymond-Holland-Clarkson, but with a fourth line of Ashton-McClement-Bodie. Frankly, I have no idea why those top three lines weren’t the same in the next game. Clarkson can’t play L2. Maybe next season you try that again, but for the time being –- and considering the Leafs other options — it’s time to move on from that for now.

2 – I think the Leafs have to callup one of D’Amigo or Ashton. These kids are lighting it up in the A. D’Amigo has 10 goals in his last 12 games while Ashton has 13 goals and 18 points in 16 games on the season. Not only is it a nice reward, but you’re going to put in a hungry kid chomping at the bit. Other than the first line. the rest of the Leafs lineup looks like a disaster right now. I’d rather they go with a kid than an AHL journeyman.

3 – I don’t think I’d lose sight of the fact that Reimer is the only goalie the Leafs have that has led a team to the playoffs. If Bernier struggles Wednesday against the Rangers, I come back with Reimer against the Flyers. It’s okay to have these guys fight for starts down the stretch. There doesn’t need to be “a guy†as much as people think.

4 – I don’t think they have many options on defense. As tough as it is to say, I think the best plan is to just ride out the season and then reassess big time in the summer, when they will have some spots open up. Moving players around is just moving deck chairs unless they bring someone in, which will be difficult to do due to cap space.

5 – I think I’ll reiterate that I wouldn’t do much at the deadline other than look for a depth guy. Smith and Bodie are AHL journeymen. Either go with an Ashton-McClement-D’Amigo fourth line, or pick one of those two kids and acquire the other guy

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
5 Things I Think I’d Do from the hotstove
I agree with all of them

1 – I think I’d put the lines back to what they were in the Montreal game, meaning: JVR-Bozak-Kessel, Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin, Raymond-Holland-Clarkson, but with a fourth line of Ashton-McClement-Bodie. Frankly, I have no idea why those top three lines weren’t the same in the next game. Clarkson can’t play L2. Maybe next season you try that again, but for the time being –- and considering the Leafs other options — it’s time to move on from that for now.

2 – I think the Leafs have to callup one of D’Amigo or Ashton. These kids are lighting it up in the A. D’Amigo has 10 goals in his last 12 games while Ashton has 13 goals and 18 points in 16 games on the season. Not only is it a nice reward, but you’re going to put in a hungry kid chomping at the bit. Other than the first line. the rest of the Leafs lineup looks like a disaster right now. I’d rather they go with a kid than an AHL journeyman.

3 – I don’t think I’d lose sight of the fact that Reimer is the only goalie the Leafs have that has led a team to the playoffs. If Bernier struggles Wednesday against the Rangers, I come back with Reimer against the Flyers. It’s okay to have these guys fight for starts down the stretch. There doesn’t need to be “a guy†as much as people think.

4 – I don’t think they have many options on defense. As tough as it is to say, I think the best plan is to just ride out the season and then reassess big time in the summer, when they will have some spots open up. Moving players around is just moving deck chairs unless they bring someone in, which will be difficult to do due to cap space.

5 – I think I’ll reiterate that I wouldn’t do much at the deadline other than look for a depth guy. Smith and Bodie are AHL journeymen. Either go with an Ashton-McClement-D’Amigo fourth line, or pick one of those two kids and acquire the other guy

Carter Ashton is a terrible hockey player. He's lighting up a scrub league, there isn't some hidden talent that only you see. He's not good. He can't score, he has no hands and is just a terrible hockey player in general.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Carter Ashton is a terrible hockey player. He's lighting up a scrub league, there isn't some hidden talent that only you see. He's not good. He can't score, he has no hands and is just a terrible hockey player in general.

I agree. I'm just not seeing what other people are seeing in this guy.

Durkin67

All kinds of incorrect.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He's 22 and has been playing on the 4th line, when he gets a chance. And he's a write-off already!?
But whatever, D'Amigo then

mikebel111*

Terrible player?
I know should have looked amazing playing 5 minutes a night with colton Orr?
Give him a break

Durkin67

He's 22 and has been playing on the 4th line, when he gets a chance. And he's a write-off already!?
But whatever, D'Amigo then

Every time he goes down to the A, he works something out in his game that helps with his transition to the bigs. He comes back better every time.

He's a big tough kid with loads of courage. Way too soon to even think about calling it a day, and to suggest he isnt a good player is just a demonstration of ignorance.

mikebel111*

Every time he goes down to the A, he works something out in his game that helps with his transition to the bigs. He comes back better every time.

He's a big tough kid with loads of courage. Way too soon to even think about calling it a day, and to suggest he isnt a good player is just a demonstration of ignorance.
Spott said he is an nhl player. One of the few guys who can actually work a cycle

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

"Good" is relative.

Everyone who has a contract with the Leafs is a good player. Put those guys on the ice with my mens league team, and they skate circles around guys with their eyes closed. By NHL standards, guys like d'Amigo and Ashton really don't bring anything to the table other than a warm body that doesn't screw things up that often.

As for the rest of the original post, have to agree. There really isn't much we can do at the deadline. Sure, adding Andrew MacDonald would be a nice acquisition, but his impact relative to the cost is likely to be small.

Durkin67

Spott said he is an nhl player. One of the few guys who can actually work a cycle

well said... he's taking his time putting it all together but he's definitely one of those foot soldier types with the secondary scoring upside to be a real contributor.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i totally agree with keeping clarkson away from line 2 and giving Reimer some more playing time, leafs had no business being in the game last night btw

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
They certainly should bring either Ashton or D'Amigo up! Now with McLaren and Smith waived, and Colton Orr obviously done (he hasn't been the same since the Parros incident in the first week!), it's time to see some kids that can actually play on that 4th line. Bodie & McClement are good pieces there, with Ashton, D'Amigo, or even Devane as the third piece. Time to move on from Orr & McLaren, they're just not the same guys they were last year.

And let's hope Nonis can get Komarov signed for next season; Bolland as well. Who wouldn't want to see Komarov - Bolland - Clarkson as a combo?

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
Five things I would do

1) Scrub the 3 lines/7 defensemen + 2 Penalty Killers strategy it sucks.

2) Get a 4th line that can play a physical grinding 10 mins a game without hurting us defensively.

3) Seven defencemen are being used to cover up the defensive weaknesses in our top 6 defenders, move one of the offensive D guys (gards/morgs/frans) to a seat in the press box and replace with Ranger for an honest effort defensively.

4) Gardiner is starting to piss me off with his casual play in the defensive zone, and continuously getting trapped in the offensive zone. Trade him I'm comfortable with a Gardiner + 1st for an impact player.

5) Overhaul lines 2, 3, 4 they need a shake up. Let's not waste 2 periods of hockey by employing the same no chemistry lineup get the shake up going at the start of the game.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009

Wow. Ashton has improved every year. He's never going to be a front line player but is developing into a nice bottom 6 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00