5 Positives of the Detroit Red Wings 2016-17 Season

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Detroit Red Wings 2016-17 season has not gotten off to the best start. While it’s easy to get frustrated and trash talk management and the players, it’s also important to remain positive. Looking at the positive side of things will keep your blood pressure down, help your liver out on game nights, and make what’s surely going to be a long season feel a little more bearable.

Read More

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/11/22/5-positives-detroit-red-wings-2016-17-season/

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The Revival of Jimmy Howard - this is only good if it gives him trade value so the team can get out from under his contract

The Kids are Getting A Shot - only because of injury. Mantha would still be in the minors showing the continued commitment to signing mediocre veterans for the purpose burying youth and a first round exit

Jonathan Ericsson Has Been Good - still not good enough to justify the contract, the one that goes to 2020

Thomas Vanek Has Been A Welcome Surprise - a prime example of veteran signings in order to tread water

Overall, They’re Doing About the Same As Last Year - yeay let's watch Holland's dumpster fire get DESTROYED in the first round again

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The only positive I need is that Timothy Liljegren is a hybrid between Doughty and Karlsson.

No, that's Dahlin. Lilly is more like a Karlsson lite. Not complaining though.

The bigger problem is that we'd basically have to land the 2nd overall to be assured we can get him.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
The Revival of Jimmy Howard - this is only good if it gives him trade value so the team can get out from under his contract

The Kids are Getting A Shot - only because of injury. Mantha would still be in the minors showing the continued commitment to signing mediocre veterans for the purpose burying youth and a first round exit

Jonathan Ericsson Has Been Good - still not good enough to justify the contract, the one that goes to 2020

Thomas Vanek Has Been A Welcome Surprise - a prime example of veteran signings in order to tread water

Overall, They’re Doing About the Same As Last Year - yeay let's watch Holland's dumpster fire get DESTROYED in the first round again

Lol get in where again? We are in last place. The goods kids getting to play. Kenny's short comings finally being seen. Jimmy has been good. and Kenny looking like the as he is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I do.

We first round exit again.

This isn't some sort of difficult riddle.

Get in and anything can happen!*

*Must have #1 defenseman or #1 center for terms to apply. Results may very.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
-Ryan Sproul for sure, wasnt expecting him to be as good as he has been. Especially considering I figured Ouellet would be the better of the two. (Not that I think Ouellet is bad, just Sproul has been better)

-Jimmy Howard's play which has been refreshingly good. Hopefully he can keep this up.

-Thomas Vanek, who I didnt expect much from when we signed him but that must be a big chip on his shoulder with his play.

-Ericsson has been alot better so far, pleasant surprise.

-Ummm that six game win streak? Was nice while it lasted.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
- Jimmy Howard returning to his play of his All-Star seasons. Let's not forget he just missed the Vezina nomination one season and has had some really impressive runs before going down to injuries. A new goaltending coach seems to have changed his game.

- Jonathan Ericsson and Ryan Sproul turning heads. Both thought to be big bodies that don't think the game too well and are prone to errors. Both have had really consistent seasons and proved everyone wrong thus far. E has been super steady defensively, dropping the gloves a tad, and Sproul has been chipping in offensively. Second on the backend in points despite like 10 less games.

- Thomas Vanek has brought good value for the bucks spent. Injuries have halted him but he brought life to the PP before the stupid line-ups and system there now, and was doing really well with Helm and Nyquist/Double A.

- Double A continues to create offensive chances and score in little minutes. Defensively he's lost at times 5 on 5, but he's really one of the only guys that create a even strength. He probably has the highest per 60 ES on the team.

- We're scrappy.. I guess?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
-Ryan Sproul for sure, wasnt expecting him to be as good as he has been. Especially considering I figured Ouellet would be the better of the two. (Not that I think Ouellet is bad, just Sproul has been better)

There was a time that most around here seemed to see it that way. Because it looked like Wood Stick described: Sproul's defensive woes were more obvious than his offensive qualities back then, whereas XO did a pretty solid job from the start on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad