HF Habs: 4th Annual NHL Mock SPEED Draft 2024 edition (completed)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks to @MarkovsKnee for organizing.

19.) Cole Hutson
37.) Nikita Artamonov
97.) Heikki Ruohonen
123.) Liam Danielsson

I think I would have rather picked AJ Spellacy with pick 97. I liked Ruohonen at the U18s but this deep into the draft you're mostly picking for traits and Spellacy has some good ones.

Some players that I was interested in picking

Hannes Hellberg
Hugo Fransson
Noah Powell
Markus Loponen

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
With the #129 pick, the Ottawa Senators select from SKA of the KHL, goalie Pavel Moysevich.

Is that it? I don't need to PM anyone?

I'll list all my draft picks later today. I'm heading to work now.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Here's the Kraken's draft recap

8. Anton Silayev (LD)
40. Teddy Stiga (W)
63. Linus Eriksson (C)
73. Brodie Ziemer (F)
88. Nathan Villeneuve (F)
105.Tory Pitner (RD)

We're satisfied with our draft, Stiga was a guy we had ranked in our 20s and Eriksson in the mid 30s. We didn't expect to land Silayev at 8. Whenever you have a shot to draft such a unicorn talent, you do it.

Ziemer is a system player, very coachable and has middle of the lineup potential and comes from the elite USNDTP program. Villeneuve provides us with a pest that plays with heart and has offensive potential.

Pitner is a two way RD that has all the tools and just needs to put it together, with his size and skating we think he was great value at 105.

Had we gone into the next rounds our next pick would have probably been a goalie and one of Gidlof or Yegorov

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
9. Calgary: Berkly Catton (F) - Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
28. Calgary (from Vancouver): Yegor Surin (F) - Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)
41. Calgary: Terik Parascak (W) - Prince George Cougars (WHL)
62. Calgary (from Dallas): Tarin Smith (LD) - Everett Silvertips (WHL)
74. Calgary: Aatos Koivu (C) - TPS (Sm-sarja U20)
84. Calgary (from Vegas): Max Plante (W) - US NTDP
106. Calgary: Kim Saarinen (G) - HPK (Liiga)
107. Calgary (from NJ): Tuomas Suoniemi (C) - Kiekko-Espoo (Liiga)

I really liked what I was able to do - I gave Calgary a super competitive player in Surin. Updated their offensive outlook by adding Catton, Parascak and Smith.

I got one of the better goalies in the class in Saarinen.

I like the two upside plays in Plante and Suoniemi who have tons of skill but question marks about frame, defense, compete, etc.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
9. Calgary: Berkly Catton (F) - Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
28. Calgary (from Vancouver): Yegor Surin (F) - Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)
41. Calgary: Terik Parascak (W) - Prince George Cougars (WHL)
62. Calgary (from Dallas): Tarin Smith (LD) - Everett Silvertips (WHL)
74. Calgary: Aatos Koivu (C) - TPS (Sm-sarja U20)
84. Calgary (from Vegas): Max Plante (W) - US NTDP
106. Calgary: Kim Saarinen (G) - HPK (Liiga)
107. Calgary (from NJ): Tuomas Suoniemi (C) - Kiekko-Espoo (Liiga)

I really liked what I was able to do - I gave Calgary a super competitive player in Surin. Updated their offensive outlook by adding Catton, Parascak and Smith.

I got one of the better goalies in the class in Saarinen.

I like the two upside plays in Plante and Suoniemi who have tons of skill but question marks about frame, defense, compete, etc.

You took 3 guys I hope Montreal is looking at strongly: Surin, Smith, Koivu.

Taking Catton with Iginla sitting there might cause a general riot. Every Flames I've seen is like: Iginla, Iginla, Iginla.

I can't see Parascak going in 2nd round. He's going top 25. A lot of places have him top 20 now.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Thanks, guys. Work is suddenly getting a lot more intense for me over the next week, well, until next Tuesday anyway (I'm on vacation after that).

Decided to end it now, while at the end of the round.

There's still some interesting names left on the board, that's for sure.

NYI draft:

#20. Julius Miettinen (C) - Everett Silvertips (WHL):

I really like this player. Big, strong skating center, who had a terrific 2nd half. He's a Finnish junior player who was playing his rookie season in WHL. He needed the first half to settle in, but after that he took off. He plays the way you want a big player to play. He hits, grinds, is terrific at shielding his body with the puck, and using his long reach defending it or stealing it. He's a skilled player who uses center of the ice well. I think he's going to have a monster year next year. Top 6, 2nd line center upside.

#54. Aron Kiviharju (LD) - HIFK (Liiga)

BPA. He's dropped, but not this much. His ability to move the puck is exceptional. He's essentially Evan Bouchard, but smaller & not as heavy a shot. His big issue: size. The NYI have a D that's pretty tied up for the foreseeable future, but there's still room for a guy like Kiviharju. They need a player who can freaking outlet. This kid can outlet.

#61. Carter George (G) - Owen Sound Attack (OHL).

I wanted Carter George and didn't have a 3rd, so I took him here. I love his competitiveness and quick legs. He doesn't give up on plays, and seems to have a strong mental fortitude. Good qualities for a goalie.

#115. Oliver Josephson (C) - Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

He wasn't my first choice at this position, but all my first choices were gone. He's a speedy center, who plays an impactful 200 foot game. His work rate his excellent, and he has the skills to be a highly useful two-way, middle 6 player. His output is somewhere between Mathieu Joseph & Chandler Stephenson, either way Islanders need speed.

Per usual, the Islanders don't have many picks, and I did draft a bit for need. They need speed & skill upfront, and players who can create from D.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Anaheim selections:

3. Sam Dickinson (LD) London OHL
31. Ryder Ritchie (RW) P. Albert WHL
35. Charlie Elick (RD) Brandon WHL
58. Raoul Boilard (C-L) Baie-Comeau QMJHL
66. Harrison Brunicke (RD) Kamloops WHL
68. Simon Zether (C-R) Rogle SHL
79. Noel Fransen (LD) Farjestad SWE J20
100. Javon Moore (LW) Hi-Minn.

If the draft would look anything like this, the Ducks would have bolstered their defense on both sides for a while. Some names left on the board: Sikora, Curran, Fibigr, Hynninen, Loponen, Sinivuori, Anatsky, Holinka, Bernier... Thanks Markov's Knee for hosting, with ample patience as usual.

Now Go Habs Go!

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Minnesota Draft:
13. Minnesota: Beckett Sennecke (W) - Oshawa Generals (OHL)
45. Minnesota: Jesse Pullkinen (LD) - JYP (Liiga)
110. Minnesota: Arsen Taimazov (RD) - Dynamo Muskova (MHL)

Vancouver Draft:
93. Vancouver: Jack Berglund (C) - Farjestad Jr. (J20 Nationell)
125. Vancouver: Tyler McInnes Thorpe (F) - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

Here we are. I mean, can't complain at all about the draft for Minnesota. Thorpe is my boy for Vancouver. Think he's a huge potential sleeper for the Habs in later rounds.

Thanks @MarkovsKnee for hosting these things as usual.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
That would be very very good for Habs. I still think CLB will select Demidov if he is there at 4, but having Lindstrom at 5 would be a perfect scenario for Habs rebuild aswell.

If Demidov is a Habs, wow, I will forget about Matvei Michkov 100%. I like more the game of Demidov than Michkov. More complete player IMO.
Agreed. And a gut feeling that he will be less drama

San Jose Sharks are proud to select Henry Mews

SJ need to add defense in their prospect pool

1. Macklin Celebrini
14. Cole Eiserman
33. Henry Mews

@Toene
Mews is quality at 33

Reactions: Vachon23

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Whose wife wouldn't have Arpon as their boyfriend? The guy is connected, his draft opinions are just so good. He shows us the way, and we should all know our place. On the chair in the corner that is.
Anybody who wants a man that blinks shouldn’t want Arpon. Dude looks like a deer caught in headlights everytime he’s on TV haha

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
San Jose Sharks

1. Macklin Celebrini (C)
14. Cole Eiserman (LW)
33. Henry Mews (RD)
42. Leo Shalin Wallenius (LD)
85. Tomas Lavoie (RD)
113. Riley Patterson (C)

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Senators picks:
1(7) Zayne Parekh - RD - Saginaw (OHL)
1(25) Jett Luchanko - C - Guelph Storm (OHL)
2(39) Marek Vanaker - LW - Brantford Bulldogs (OHL)
4(104) Colton Roberts - RD - Vancouver Giants (WHL)
4(112) Kieron Walton - C - Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
4(117) Jack Pridham - RW - Kelowna Warriors (BCHL)
4(129) Pavel Moysevich - G - St Petersburg SKA (KHL)

Thanks to @MarkovsKnee for all his work in coordinating this mock draft.

Also thanks to all those who drafted in the early to mid-20s who left Luchanko there for me at 25. Highway robbery! :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad