World Cup: 4 Nations Tournament - Team Finland (2025)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
We have a chance for the first time ever see our best-on-best team on the ice. It's very exciting and even though the tournament feels more like an exhibition tournament since not all the countries are included.. I can't be anything except very excited.

Our team most likely

Brackets = maybe, without brackets= I think are locks to be on the team

Forwards
Roope Hintz
Sebastian Aho
Patrik Laine (if he is alright)
Artturi Lehkonen
Mikko Rantanen
Aleksander Barkov
Matias Maccelli
Mikael Granlund
Erik Haula
Teuvo Teräväinen
Anton Lundell
(Eeli Tolvanen)
(Eetu Luostarinen)
(Jesperi Kotkaniemi)
(Joel Armia)
(Kasperi Kapanen)
(Kaapo Kakko)
(Joel Kiviranta)
(Valtteri Puustinen)
(Jesse Puljujärvi)

Defensemen
Miro Heiskanen
Esa Lindell
Olli Määttä
Niko Mikkola
(Henri Jokiharju)
(Juuso Välimäki)
(Rasmus Ristolainen)
(Urho Vaakanainen)
(Jani Hakanpää)

Goalies
Juuse Saros
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
(Ville Husso)
(Kevin Lankinen)
(Joonas Korpisalo)
(Kaapo Kähkönen)
(Justus Annunen)

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Jesus christ that center core, Lundell is a 4th line center and is currently one of the best 2-way centers in the NHL playoffs. Barkov is a top 5 center in the league and Aho isn't too far from that, Hintz is a number one center of conference final team. Center is arguably the most important position after goalie, and we only lose to Canada in that.

Saros is one of the best goalies in the league, Heiskanen is a Conn Smythe tier and Rantanen top 5 winger in the league. So our very top is on par with USA, as second in this tournament.

As for the depth, unfortunately we lack in that aspect quite a lot in comparison to others. But our top is so good, that we can cause some serious upsets. Also our top horses are playoff beasts, so in this kinda tournament we can rely on them performing and not disappearing in tough spots.

First PP line could be something like:
Rantanen - Barkov - Laine - Hintz - Heiskanen

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Jesus christ that center core, Lundell is a 4th line center and is currently one of the best 2-way centers in the NHL playoffs. Barkov is a top 5 center in the league and Aho isn't too far from that, Hintz is a number one center of conference final team. Center is arguably the most important position after goalie, and we only lose to Canada in that.

Saros is one of the best goalies in the league, Heiskanen is a Conn Smythe tier and Rantanen top 5 winger in the league. So our very top is on par with USA, as second in this tournament.

As for the depth, unfortunately we lack in that aspect quite a lot in comparison to others. But our top is so good, that we can cause some serious upsets. Also our top horses are playoff beasts, so in this kinda tournament we can rely on them performing and not disappearing in tough spots.

First PP line could be something like:
Rantanen - Barkov - Laine - Hintz - Heiskanen

I wonder if they’d play one of Aho or Hintz on the wing to try to keep the top 6 as strong as possible and just play the hell out of them or if they’d try to work the depth as much as possible

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I wonder if they’d play one of Aho or Hintz on the wing to try to keep the top 6 as strong as possible and just play the hell out of them or if they’d try to work the depth as much as possible
That would be interesting. Actually Aho was asked about a player he would like to play with in this tournament and he said Barkov, adding that he would obviously play as a winger.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Brackets = maybe, without brackets= I think are locks to be on the team
I largely agree with all of this, with one exception: I'd hardly consider Haula a lock, especially if Luostarinen isn't. Of course it's entirely possible that both make it, but if there's room for only one, right now I'd have the latter over the former, AINEC.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Any idea what kind of trophy they give to the winners? Is it that same old World Cup - trophy or some new one?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I'd put Hintz on the wing if I had to choose, but if Aho is indeed willing to play on the wing as karhukissa said, I wouldn't mind either option.

Any idea what kind of trophy they give to the winners? Is it that same old World Cup - trophy or some new one?

A great trophy when Finland would take a surprise win would be to read the cocky Canadian fans' responses and excuses on why Canada didn't win the tournament.

Okay, in reality I understand how sick that Canadian team will be and it's Canada's tournament to lose, but we can hope that they will be coached wrong or there are too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak. There has been a time when Gretzky still played and Canada was loaded, but they were pretty bad, so it's not an impossible thing to happen or something that we haven't seen in the past.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
No in reality I think Canada will be in tough here, Finland, Sweden and USA are all more then capable of winning, Canada's kryptonite is our goaltending situation is weak.

As a fan of Finland, have to hope that there will be a weakness regarding Canada, lol.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Which player do you all think would be the biggest loss for Finland if the most important player would be injured during this tournament?

In my opinion it would have to be Heiskanen, because our biggest weakness is with defenders and loosing our best D-man would hurt way too much. Loosing someone like Barkov would mean less, because we have good amount of good forwards. Loosing Saros wouldn't be as bad either.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Which player do you all think would be the biggest loss for Finland if the most important player would be injured during this tournament?

In my opinion it would have to be Heiskanen, because our biggest weakness is with defenders and loosing our best D-man would hurt way too much. Loosing someone like Barkov would mean less, because we have good amount of good forwards. Loosing Saros wouldn't be as bad either.
100% Heiskanen

Reactions: Mestaruus

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Id move Hintz to wing and Eetu definitely a lock.

Lehkonen Barkov Rantanen
Hintz Aho Teravainen
Laine Lundell Luostarainen
Haula Granlund Armia

Probably how I would go right now.

Reactions: illone84

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Id move Hintz to wing and Eetu definitely a lock.

Lehkonen Barkov Rantanen
Hintz Aho Teravainen
Laine Lundell Luostarainen
Haula Granlund Armia

Probably how I would go right now.

Not bad, but Maccelli/Kakko or someone else should take Haula's place, just because Haula straight up declined the WHC invitation. Kakko in his position (contract done & team out) would've joined the team. Maccelli had a better reason not joining the previous WHC team compared to Haula.

We'll probably end up having Ristolainen, but reducing these kind of players to as low number as possible would be great.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland

Aho, Barkov, Heiskanen, Lindell, Rantanen and Saros announced.

Exciting as they were locks anyway.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Deep option:

Maccelli-Hintz-Rantanen
Lehkonen-Barkov-Granlund
Teuvo-Aho-Laine/Tolvanen
Luostarinen-Lundell-Haula/Kakko

Barky's line obviously plays against top lines/therefore I wanted either Lehkonen/Lundell/Hintz there to support Barkov as a great 2-way player. Greatest scoring responsibility would be on Aho's and Hintz's/Rantanen's lines while Lundell's line should just focus on playing 0-0 and they would probably be capable to do that against most of bottom lines. Aho's wingers would be a big question here, but they could easily switch either of them for more responsible player from 4th line.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Not bad, but Maccelli/Kakko or someone else should take Haula's place, just because Haula straight up declined the WHC invitation. Kakko in his position (contract done & team out) would've joined the team. Maccelli had a better reason not joining the previous WHC team compared to Haula.

We'll probably end up having Ristolainen, but reducing these kind of players to as low number as possible would be great.
Maccelli I just had a hard time fitting. I like him a lot. I wanted battle hardened players because despite the great talent Finland has now, we will have to battle incredibly hard to come out on top of the other teams. He d be one of my extras. I'd keep Haula personally but I take your point also.

Defence, I would probably go:
Mikkola Heiskinen
Lindell Hakanpaa
Maata Jokiharju
Valikmaki

Again workmanlike.

That's the route to victory IMO
Work work and work some more.
As much 2 way players as possible.
Lots of defensive defence men.
Good penalty kill.
Good goaltending.
Good old Finnish style hockey. Plenty of sisu.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Defence, I would probably go:
Mikkola Heiskinen
Lindell Hakanpaa
Maata Jokiharju
Valikmaki

Again workmanlike.

That's the route to victory IMO
Work work and work some more.
As much 2 way players as possible.
Lots of defensive defence men.
Good penalty kill.
Good goaltending.
Good old Finnish style hockey. Plenty of sisu.

I'll be so happy if they don't indeed select Ristolainen, for the same reason as was with Haula. They need to have a spine and represent Finland in some other things and not just in the most fun things.

some

Apr 15, 2024
Olofström
Forwards
Roope Hintz
Sebastian Aho
Patrik Laine (if he is alright)
Artturi Lehkonen
Mikko Rantanen
Aleksander Barkov
Matias Maccelli
Mikael Granlund
Erik Haula
Teuvo Teräväinen
Anton Lundell
(Eeli Tolvanen)
(Eetu Luostarinen)
(Jesperi Kotkaniemi)
(Joel Armia)
(Kasperi Kapanen)
(Kaapo Kakko)
(Joel Kiviranta)
(Valtteri Puustinen)
(Jesse Puljujärvi)

Lehkonen - Barkov - Rantanen
Kakko - Aho - Teräväinen
Laine - Hintz - Maccelli
Luostarinen - Lundell - Armia
Kotkaniemi

Defensemen
Miro Heiskanen
Esa Lindell
Olli Määttä
Niko Mikkola
(Henri Jokiharju)
(Juuso Välimäki)
(Rasmus Ristolainen)
(Urho Vaakanainen)
(Jani Hakanpää)

Lindell - Heiskanen
Välimäki - Määttä
Mikkola - Jokiharju
Hakanpää

Goalies
Juuse Saros
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
(Ville Husso)
(Kevin Lankinen)
(Joonas Korpisalo)
(Kaapo Kähkönen)
(Justus Annunen)

Korpisalo
Luukkonen
Saros

Loudest Finland ever since Olympics 2006.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad