Post-Game Talk: #4 | Flyers at Panthers | October 19, 2022 | Loss 4-3

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This post aged well
Risto is out and York was given first dibs at 3LHD and blew his opportunity. They were projecting York - Braun as the third pair and I predicted Seeler as the 7th D-man (now Belpido) b/c they won't put a kid in the press box.
Notice Connauton is in LHV.

MacEwen started the year in LHV, Atkinson, Tippett and Couts are all injured. Hodgson got a shot, J Cates, Laczynski, Lycksell, now MacEwen.

"Veterans were brought in when injuries piled up" - gee, my crystal ball is still working despite the static.

Zack MacEwan has more letters in his name than he has goals in the NHL over 130 games, and he played 20+ mins?

Did he really play 20+ mins?
No. He's played a total of 26 minutes over 2 games.

Since all his minutes came at ES, he played more ES minutes than some forwards who racked up a lot of PP/PK minutes, since Farabee, Hayes and TK play on both units.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Risto is out and York was given first dibs at 3LHD and blew his opportunity. They were projecting York - Braun as the third pair and I predicted Seeler as the 7th D-man (now Belpido) b/c they won't put a kid in the press box.
Notice Connauton is in LHV.

MacEwen started the year in LHV, Atkinson, Tippett and Couts are all injured. Hodgson got a shot, J Cates, Laczynski, Lycksell, now MacEwen.

"Veterans were brought in when injuries piled up" - gee, my crystal ball is still working despite the static.

No he didn't. The Flyers blew their evaluation. It's last year with Frost all over again, complete with giving him conflicting directions he couldn't possibly meet.

You assured us he would absolutely be playing. Because you knew, as we do, that he is NHL ready. I assured you that without injuries, they would manufacture reasons to avoid playing him and Zamula.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Wait, Lacyzinski is hurt? Then he should be in the AHL until he's 100%, shouldn't he?
Maybe I need to slow down for you.

L-ski and Allison have been brutalized by injuries their whole career. They don't have the on ice experience as the legend zach does. So what do you need to find out about the kids versus zach.

Zach is a 4th line 12/13th players= who became obsolete when Flyers signed 44. Its why he was on waivers. His year 24 was on the ice. He is what we knew he was.

L-ski and Allison first of all you need to find out if they can stay healthy for 75 games. You know how you don't find out if L-ski can stay healthy. By not playing him. But sure send him to the farm play him with brooks and rat because that will sure be like nhl development.

You need to find out what Allison and L-ski are post injuries. The reality is the injuries will in all likelihood keep them from reaching their full potential. Maybe 1 year from now they are back to health as good as new. Flyers fans all hope so. But you have to find out so. Who the bleep cares if Zac had one good game for a 12th forward? Maybe fletch the toilet bowl flush will; get a 7th come deadline. YIPPEE. Maybe flyers will get 3 extra points this year? YIPPEE. Maybe the torts diehards will cream over because zac got a 10 point career high. YIPPEE

Its going to take 20 games at least for L-ski to play and get comfortable. Because Farabee has done it before you let Farabee through his injuries. But lets face facts. Farabee isn't going to do much for 1st 20 games. Bleep, it might be a write off for the whole season and that is ok too. But L-ski its going to take 20 games too. And the Fletch diehards will yell crucify l-ski and let him get his time on the farm instead. Because our history has been so good to develop players on the farm. Sign more 29 year old khl players. Lets develop 29 year olds who can walk end of the year. Brilliant strategy! We need more ufa 14th players on the roster to turn things around.

To compare Zac's development to L-ski development due to the injuries is either foolish or dishonest because their age is similar. You don't develop the same on the ice and the rehab center. Come on you know better than that. Be honest for a change.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison IS playing, he's clearly better than Laczynski, though he doesn't look as good as when he first came up two years ago.

Laczynski has shown nothing, it's not a matter of scoring, it's a matter of showing flashes that suggest there's more. If he's really NHL material, it'll be obvious in LHV. Odds are he's in the same boat with MacEwen, Brooks and Marody, AHL+ players who aren't quite good enough. Throw J Cates in there as well, along with Brown.

Farabee is a top talent, even at 80% he's better than all those scrub forwards by a substantial margin.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Allison IS playing, he's clearly better than Laczynski, though he doesn't look as good as when he first came up two years ago.

Laczynski has shown nothing, it's not a matter of scoring, it's a matter of showing flashes that suggest there's more. If he's really NHL material, it'll be obvious in LHV. Odds are he's in the same boat with MacEwen, Brooks and Marody, AHL+ players who aren't quite good enough. Throw J Cates in there as well, along with Brown.

Farabee is a top talent, even at 80% he's better than all those scrub forwards by a substantial margin.

Weird, you just made it clear you are able to apply deep levels of context if you want to.

How come you're choosing not to now? Ah yes, because it's looking like Laczynski is gonna be sent down so you have to justify another move that goes against what you said should happen for months.

Btw without a string of injuries it's unlikely either of Allison or Laczynski are on the roster.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Weird, you just made it clear you are able to apply deep levels of context if you want to.

How come you're choosing not to now? Ah yes, because it's looking like Laczynski is gonna be sent down so you have to justify another move that goes against what you said should happen for months.

Btw without a string of injuries it's unlikely either of Allison or Laczynski are on the roster.
I don't know why this is so complicated for some on here. L-ski is coming off a bad injury and you are going to have to put up with the growing pains to find out what he is. And due to the past injuries its not hard to figure out he will struggle early on. Farabee is struggling and everyone knows he is good.

Instead fandom creams over zach in a game that was clearly a 2 goal game at least a 1/3 of the game. But sure lets gets excited with goals at :02 on the clock.

The only time the flyers have done anything is when they are down 2-0 and the other teams lets up just a bit.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Y
I don't know why this is so complicated for some on here. L-ski is coming off a bad injury and you are going to have to put up with the growing pains to find out what he is. And due to the past injuries its not hard to figure out he will struggle early on. Farabee is struggling and everyone knows he is good.

Instead fandom creams over zach in a game that was clearly a 2 goal game at least a 1/3 of the game. But sure lets gets excited with goals at :02 on the clock.

The only time the flyers have done anything is when they are down 2-0 and the other teams lets up just a bit.

Yep. It's gonna be a long year of "well the third period was better!" due to score effects.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Well, given how much time was spent on STs, some other forwards weren't available:
total minutes
TK 23:06
Hayes 21:31
Farabee 20:58
JVR 20:54
Laughton 19:13

N Cates 16:04
Frost 15:22

MacEwen 13:18
Allison 12:12
Deslauriers 10:24
J Cates 8:06
Laczynski 7:25
Up until now I had thought you were laczynskis biggest champion. Now everyone is convinced he's McDavid light.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
No need to lie.

People just think it's wiser to play someone who has more skill and ability than a guy that has proven to have neither.
This isn't Thompson v frost though. It's a fourth line winger getting more minutes than a fourth line center. Other than being old for a prospect I haven't seen much that says sure fire nhler from laczynski. Whether it's rookie jitters being rusty or recovering from injury his play isn't screaming feed me more minutes right now. He belongs in the competition sure but that bottom line should have no safety for anyone . He got outplayed one night which should happen about as often as macewen gets points

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Up until now I had thought you were laczynskis biggest champion. Now everyone is convinced he's McDavid light.
Zac attack has no future on the flyers none nil zero. His role has been taken by 44. He should never play on the flyers again with a HEALTHY roster. He is a 14th f who can fill in 25 games a year. Instead its a cream fest he had one nice game the flyers were not going to win.

L-ski pre injury had the upside of an 8-9th f and downside of an 11th f. Post injury who knows? But I know this. If L-ski catches the genie in the bottle and wishes for 10 years of health he can be a leader and nice role player. Maybe the injuries have suxed the hockey life out of him. I don't know. Nobody on here does if they speak with a drop of honesty. But I can see a scenario where L-ski has a nice role player 8-10 year career. Is that less than 50% probability after the injuries? Probably. What do you lose? You only a get 66 point season than 69 points this year? Who cares! By the end of the year you need to make decisions on about 10 players. L-ski is one of those players.

Instead you have a couple of people on here that are proud we played well against the nucks when the nucks have all ready blown 2 goal leads 4 times. Nucks let up with a 2 goal lead and let the other team back in over and over. Yeah its better flyers didn't quit like last year. Torts is better than Yeo. Proud moment. You have people joygasming the flyers beat the devils because hart was wayyy better than blackwood, Lightning I'll give credit for their heart. But please lets not pretend Lightning was not wayyyyy better team.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts has said there's going to be a revolving door between Philly and LHV, and so far there has been.
If a player goes down to LHV and sulks, he's not going to make it here in any case.
If a player is good enough, he should be able to dominate the AHL.

That's why I don't get all the gnashing of teeth over MacEwen, Sedlak or any other 4th line player.
Right now, with Couts, Atkinson and Tippett out, we're playing forwards #13-15th. So if they use that opportunity to audition a bunch of guys, big deal. Most are going to end up in LHV once the walking wounded return.

Laczynski can easily get another shot, go down to LHV, light it up, and given the competition, the call-up is inevitable.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts has said there's going to be a revolving door between Philly and LHV, and so far there has been.
If a player goes down to LHV and sulks, he's not going to make it here in any case.
If a player is good enough, he should be able to dominate the AHL.

That's why I don't get all the gnashing of teeth over MacEwen, Sedlak or any other 4th line player.
Right now, with Couts, Atkinson and Tippett out, we're playing forwards #13-15th. So if they use that opportunity to audition a bunch of guys, big deal. Most are going to end up in LHV once the walking wounded return.

Laczynski can easily get another shot, go down to LHV, light it up, and given the competition, the call-up is inevitable.

No, there hasn't been.

That's not even his call to make.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hodgson up then down
MacEwen down then up
Laczynski up then down
Belpido down then up

I expect this all season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hodgson up then down
MacEwen down then up
Laczynski up then down
Belpido down then up

I expect this all season.

Hodgson, Belpedio, MacEwen are all nothing bums. There are numerous players who should be up ahead of them. Laczynski should not be down.

You fully agreed with that before the season started and Torts and Fletcher immediately began doing the opposite of everything you said they would. You fully agreed real prospects and not a set of third hand parts should be the ones getting cycled in. You insisted it would happen because of the magic of Tortorella They're now doing the opposite of what you portrayed as the best course and you're defending it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hodgson, Belpedio, MacEwen are all nothing bums. There are numerous players who should be up ahead of them. Laczynski should not be down.

You fully agreed with that before the season started and Torts and Fletcher immediately began doing the opposite of everything you said they would. You fully agreed real prospects and not a set of third hand parts should be the ones getting cycled in. You insisted it would happen because of the magic of Tortorella They're now doing the opposite of what you portrayed as the best course and you're defending it.
Laczynski played the first four games, I hardly noticed him.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Laczynski played the first four games, I hardly noticed him.

You should watch better.

Did you remember to account for the terrible players he's playing with, either? Or is this one of those situations where after making it clear you understand the need for context last night, you are choosing not to apply it in order to defend bad management and coaching.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He had two points. Two more than Farabee.
And MacEwen has a point. Does that make him better than Farabee?

Laczynski hasn't played with "terrible players." J Cates has looked better than Laczynski, Deslauriers is a NHL 4th liner, not a great one, but after 510 NHL games, he's not an AHL+ player either. All three are replaceable, but none are a black hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad