Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Uh, I really wouldn't go that far.

His tracking right now is literally a requirement to be an impact player in the NHL. Even the worst defenseman dominated in juniors (i.e., Gudbranson).

He is very far away still.

I'm happy that everyone is excited but him "lighting" it up like this but it really isn't anything special
He could likely play in the AHL right now. It would be the best place for him if he was eligible. I could be mistaken but I think that was the point.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Uh, I really wouldn't go that far.

His tracking right now is literally a requirement to be an impact player in the NHL. Even the worst defenseman dominated in juniors (i.e., Gudbranson).

He is very far away still.

I'm happy that everyone is excited but him "lighting" it up like this but it really isn't anything special

We have to keep in mind he is still an 18 year old player and will be for the entire season. He is doing fine.

Reactions: Var

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Almost overnight, Woo has become pretty important to the Canucks future imo. A right shot d-man who can contribute offensively, and punishes people along the wall and with open-ice hits. Canucks don't have anybody like that, on the right or the left side. Too bad he's stuck in junior for another season.

"Almost overnight, Lind has become pretty important to the Canucks future IMO" -HF Canucks this time last year.

We need to temper our expectations with these CHL kids until we can see what they bring at the pro level. But at this stage he is tracking well and that's promising so far, and that's great, but I wouldn't count any of these guys at part of the future until we can get a better read of them.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I think Lind is a great example. "Oh, he didn't make the team Canada U20 team. He went on a rampage of scoring".

Guy isn't even an AHL player. Lind was even a more prolific scorer than Woo was.

I'm not saying that Woo isn't going to be an impact NHL player. What I am saying is that he HAS to produce nearly a PPG to be on track to even be a 3rd pairing NHl defensemman. Personally, I am happy he is doing well but I want to temper expectations so things don't get out of control like the Lind/Cassels did.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think Lind is a great example. "Oh, he didn't make the team Canada U20 team. He went on a rampage of scoring".

Guy isn't even an AHL player. Lind was even a more prolific scorer than Woo was.

I'm not saying that Woo isn't going to be an impact NHL player. What I am saying is that he HAS to produce nearly a PPG to be on track to even be a 3rd pairing NHl defensemman. Personally, I am happy he is doing well but I want to temper expectations so things don't get out of control like the Lind/Cassels did.
Woo can skate. Lind sort of can....cassels was atrocious. Not great comparables. Woo is tracking well for a 2nd round pick

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Woo has quickly shot up the ranks as a top 5 prospect in the org with his play this year. Obviously expectations need to be tempered with play in junior, but PPG play for a smooth skating, hard hitting, shut down D in his D+1 year is very impressive. I have him ahead of Juolevi on the depth chart now and only behind Hughes, Demko, and DiPietro. Dahlen, Lind, and Gadjovich all looking like busts at this point.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Woo has quickly shot up the ranks as a top 5 prospect in the org with his play this year. Obviously expectations need to be tempered with play in junior, but PPG play for a smooth skating, hard hitting, shut down D in his D+1 year is very impressive. I have him ahead of Juolevi on the depth chart now and only behind Hughes, Demko, and DiPietro. Dahlen, Lind, and Gadjovich all looking like busts at this point.

Dahlen looking like a bust? News to me.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

This was discussed earlier in another thread. An appreciable proportion of NHL defencemen don't put up big numbers in their D+1 seasons.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Saw him live in Langley last night and was quite impressed. Little nervous to start as he seemed to want to play well for the crowd but settled in quickly and was very effective. Scored Moose Jaw's only goal and for my money, was the better defender between him and Josh Brook.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Nov 1, 2011
No.

Woo is really starting to remind me of the Lind/Gadjovich hype trains...

That has more to do with you and your experiences than it does with Woo.

Look at his skills and style of play and compare that to other players rather than how you or the fan base has thought of other prospects in the recent past.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That has more to do with you and your experiences than it does with Woo.

Look at his skills and style of play and compare that to other players rather than how you or the fan base has thought of other prospects in the recent past.

Yeah and my experiences are this board being hyped about like every prospect in junior hockey - this is a tale as old as time, and it happened the exact same way as last season.

What he is doing in juniors is great, but it's what he should be doing - he was drafted 37th overall. By the logic of your first sentence, Virtanen should've been an allstar because he was just more physically dominant in the WHL compared to other players. He was faster, and looked fairly skilled.

Conclusion? Prospects can mask their weaknesses in junior hockey pretty easily. I'm reserving my judgement on any prospect until they play professional hockey because I've learned that by now.

Woo looks good, and not taking anything away from him. He's a bit away from professional hockey anyways, as I believe he's either in the NHL or WHL next year too, but could be wrong.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Both Woo and Hughes are basically doing exactly what they should be doing.

If you want a 2018 draftee to be excited about the development of, pick Madden.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah and my experiences are this board being hyped about like every prospect in junior hockey - this is a tale as old as time, and it happened the exact same way as last season.

What he is doing in juniors is great, but it's what he should be doing - he was drafted 37th overall. By the logic of your first sentence, Virtanen should've been an allstar because he was just more physically dominant in the WHL compared to other players. He was faster, and looked fairly skilled.

Conclusion? Prospects can mask their weaknesses in junior hockey pretty easily. I'm reserving my judgement on any prospect until they play professional hockey because I've learned that by now.

Woo looks good, and not taking anything away from him. He's a bit away from professional hockey anyways, as I believe he's either in the NHL or WHL next year too, but could be wrong.
True about the overhyping prospects...but Woo has been impressive. He isn’t eligible for AHL next year. Almost certainly back to junior

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad