Post-Game Talk: #37 | Wednesday, Dec. 28 | Flyers 3 at Blues 6

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Right?

Guys go from scratched to top pairing defensemen.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Put Provorov and Gudas together and give us one super-dependable D pair for christ sakes.

I agree, but tonight Gudas was as far from dependable as we have seen him.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I thought the Konecny Simmonds Schenn line was better.

They had flashier chances (semi-breakaways and odd man rushes) but the top line had more sustained pressure. Both were good though. It's most of the rest of the team that let them down.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
1-3-1 in last 5 games. That is a slump.

Their underlying metrics during the win streak were pretty awful. They just kept finding ways to win, and given the injuries and whatnot, it was a great effort. Suddenly they're not winning and still have bad stats. Regression to the mean more than anything. Good news is that we'll have a lineup soon with Raffl, Couturier, Read who are 3 of the best play drivers on the team. And some tweaks can be made to the lineup to further maximize play.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Id like to start seeing Stolarz play more.

He should have started in New Jersey after Mase had a strenuous game against the Caps the prior night. Haks inability to trust young guys holds us back.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Their underlying metrics during the win streak were pretty awful. They just kept finding ways to win, and given the injuries and whatnot, it was a great effort. Suddenly they're not winning and still have bad stats. Regression to the mean more than anything. Good news is that we'll have a lineup soon with Raffl, Couturier, Read who are 3 of the best play drivers on the team. And some tweaks can be made to the lineup to further maximize play.

Yeah getting back Raffl and Read and Coots getting up to speed will be huge, but there absolutely needs to be a personnel tweak to our D.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I thought the Konecny Simmonds Schenn line was better.

They spent a loooooot of time chasing play in their own zone over game. Though the goal they scored was a beauty, and overall they played well.

The problem with that line is Schenn is not a center really. He is not great at carrying puck through NZ, zone entries or defending in his own zone... so they don't spend as much time in OZ as they could/should. Once there they are dangerous... but they don't spend too much time there and most chances are one and done on rushes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LOL you pick the one goal macdonald wasnt out there against as the key. The other 4 goals against while he was out there not covering his man and screening mason weren't key at all and had nothing to do with the loss? No more almost as bad as boxcar... You are officially as bad as boxcar.

That goal was key because it gave them momentum in the 3rd period. It has nothing to do with who was on the ice at the time.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
They spent a loooooot of time chasing play in their own zone over game. Though the goal they scored was a beauty, and overall they played well.

The problem with that line is Schenn is not a center really. He is not great at carrying puck through NZ, zone entries or defending in his own zone... so they don't spend as much time in OZ as they could/should. Once there they are dangerous... but they don't spend too much time there and most chances are one and done on rushes.

I agree, they do struggle in their own zone but I liked the offense that I saw.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They had flashier chances (semi-breakaways and odd man rushes) but the top line had more sustained pressure. Both were good though. It's most of the rest of the team that let them down.

37 games into the season and we have yet to have a game with great play from both lines in the bottom 6 in the same game. Its a major issue.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Truthfully I do not know how Gostisbehere got the least 5v5 ice time among all 6 d men in a game like this. He played fine too....

This has been a theme recently where Ghost's ice time keeps going down, despite playing well. And then someone like Mac getting top pairing minutes and usage. That's a bit worrisome. Ghost is fantastic....please depend on him, Hak! Don't forget how amazing he is and what he means to this team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Truthfully I do not know how Gostisbehere got the least 5v5 ice time among all 6 d men in a game like this. He played fine too....

This has been a theme recently where Ghost's ice time keeps going down, despite playing well. And then someone like Mac getting top pairing minutes and usage. That's a bit worrisome. Ghost is fantastic....depend on him.

That is mind-numbing. I wish you hadnt told us that.

Hak is starting up his **** again. Great.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I missed a lot of this game. Curious to hear what you guys are saying. Was the top line present? Didn't notice them? This is a very good game to see how we match up against a balanaved and well coached team.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013

This has been a theme recently where Ghost's ice time keeps going down, despite playing well. And then someone like Mac getting top pairing minutes and usage. That's a bit worrisome. Ghost is fantastic....depend on him.

I liked Ghost's game tonight.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree, but tonight Gudas was as far from dependable as we have seen him.

I would reunite him Provy, but Gudas has looked a little off lately. It happened last year and he bounced back strong so I'm not too concerned.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I missed a lot of this game. Curious to hear what you guys are saying. Was the top line present? Didn't notice them? This is a very good game to see how we match up against a balanaved and well coached team.

1st line was fine.

Konecny and Simmonds were good.

Ghost was good.

MacDonald was so bad it makes me hate life.

D was terrible as a whole.

PK was terrible.

Bottom 6 was terrible.

Hakstol was terrible.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Who comes out of the line up tho? Thats what concerns me. He seems like like Leier...so I could totally see Lub and TK sitting.

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
TK-Schenn-Weisse
Leier-Cousins/PEB-lub

Thats what id like to see. Maybe different line combos but def those 12.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
37 games into the season and we have yet to have a game with great play from both lines in the bottom 6 in the same game. Its a major issue.

Yup.

St. Louis are pretty much THE example for what having a great 3 and 4C can do for you.

Berglund and Brodziak are not just 'solid bottom sixers'... they are genuinely good hockey players! And in turn there are just no real match-ups to be had vs them. Because both those guys can hold their own (and more) against 2nd lines over the course of a game and take shifts vs 1st line with no concern.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yup.

St. Louis are pretty much THE example for what having a great 3 and 4C can do for you.

Berglund and Brodziak are not just 'solid bottom sixers'... they are genuinely good hockey players! And in turn there are just no real match-ups to be had vs them. Because both those guys can hold their own (and more) against 2nd lines over the course of a game and take shifts vs 1st line with no concern.

Yep..St. Louis issue is they dont have a true 1C and havent had great goaltending. If they had both of those positions settled they would be Cup favorites to me.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think St. Louis is the perfect example that luck and momentum are always a factor. That team has been good enough to win a cup for like 4-5 years now.
How many 7 game series have they lost against the likes of LA and Chicago?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I just can't wrap my mind around how MacDonald gets top pair minutes every night. He shouldn't even be playing. Tonight was just about as worse as the Arizona game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad