35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
WTH? I correct your last post & you come up with another claim, which I didn't say? (Again!...for the 4th or 5th time in the last several days). You've confused me with another poster!

I'm done with this conversation, no need to reply.
My bad, it was Henkka that said I was negative, lol. I went back and checked.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Haha.
Go back and listen to Hakan's interview on draft day. He clearly says Tyler had a crush on the guy.
He has so many great things to say about some of the other Red Wings' picks like Grewe and Johansson and Soderblom, but just had some routine things to say about Tuomisto.
If Tuomisto doesn't make it, I think I'm sticking it to Wright.

Yeah, Tuomisto is a Tyler Wright pick. And has been a good pick so far.

Guy will give a cap advantage on those success days, when he doesn't burn any years of his ELC yet.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There is typically about 4-5 months between the end of a drafted college player's senior season and the Aug 15 date for reaching free agency. It's a healthy chunk of time for the team that owns the player's rights to get him signed. It is true that if a college player is good enough, teams prefer to sign them some time before their senior season. However, that has more to do with the player being ready to take the next step in their development than it does pressure from an NHL club out of fear they will lose the player to free agency. College players who are determined to reach free agency are going to do so anyway, and just refrain from signing that contract with the team that drafted them.

Still super early for Tuomisto. He's clearly a kid who is going to play at least 2 years in college, and most likely at least 3. Too early for any hand-wringing over whether he might reach free agency. His development and proving that he was worthy of a 2nd-round pick is all that matter at the moment. He's a project (seems to be Yzerman's MO after the 1st round), but one with a fairly high ceiling. I'm not personally a big fan, but I try to give every prospect a fair shake.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
There is typically about 4-5 months between the end of a drafted college player's senior season and the Aug 15 date for reaching free agency. It's a healthy chunk of time for the team that owns the player's rights to get him signed. It is true that if a college player is good enough, teams prefer to sign them some time before their senior season. However, that has more to do with the player being ready to take the next step in their development than it does pressure from an NHL club out of fear they will lose the player to free agency. College players who are determined to reach free agency are going to do so anyway, and just refrain from signing that contract with the team that drafted them.

Still super early for Tuomisto. He's clearly a kid who is going to play at least 2 years in college, and most likely at least 3. Too early for any hand-wringing over whether he might reach free agency. His development and proving that he was worthy of a 2nd-round pick is all that matter at the moment. He's a project (seems to be Yzerman's MO after the 1st round), but one with a fairly high ceiling. I'm not personally a big fan, but I try to give every prospect a fair shake.
Exactly. Jimmy Vesey is the last example I remember of a 4yr college career then hold-out to where he wanted to sign, the NYR. Even then, NSH recouped the 3rd they drafted him with.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, Tuomisto is a Tyler Wright pick. And has been a good pick so far.

Guy will give a cap advantage on those success days, when he doesn't burn any years of his ELC yet.

Ah yes, HFboards where: (a) only one scout within the organization is allowed to like or support a draft-eligible prospect at a given point in time, and (b) people hang onto every word spoken by non-native English speakers in two minute interviews conducted in English by super articulate beat reporters.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Why Antti Tuomisto won’t join the Finnish WJC team – The Malik Report

"DU will be without star sophomore forward Bobby Brink for the next 7-9 games. Brink has reported to the U.S. World Junior camp in Plymouth, Mich. Tuomisto, already a top-pair defenseman for DU, probably wasn’t named to Finland’s WJC roster because he hadn’t played games like his countrymen back home. “Their loss is clearly our gain, that we get to keep him the whole time here in the pod,” Carle said of Finland and Tuomisto."

Not because he wasn't good enough

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only 4 shots on goal, but 21 shot attempts in 5 games.

Looks like he has shot a lot on the blocker (10). 7 missed. 4 Shots on goal. Something to be better at. Maybe that long break has got timings wrong.

Both assists have been scoring situations after a missed shot + end board bounce.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I've always liked this pick, but he needs to start hitting the net.

I'm just happy we have a blue line prospect with enough confidence and ability to just let it rip from the blue line. In all fairness, perhaps we have others in which the footage just isn't there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Yep.

And think Tuomisto + Rasmussen would be future deadly combo. High-volume point shots and big guy screening them, making tip-ins.

What would you say if I told you that you don't have to be 6'6" to screen a goalie?:amazed:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What would you say if I told you that you don't have to be 6'6" to screen a goalie?:amazed:

Yes, you can do once in a while, even being a midget.

But quite sure bigger guy is more effective on long run repeatedly against nowadays 6'5 goalies.

Holmstörm was fine as 6'0 against midget era of goalies. I also saw him losing his effectivity against monster goalies. They just looked over the shoulder, when on earlier days, they did just see the #96 shoulder.

Currently average goalies are already bigger than defencemen and going taller and taller. It's just preparing for a new era.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's such a huge backswing. But when he's got time, he's got a heavy, heavy shot.
Not sure you can judge him on this particular play considering how soft that pass was. He can't shoot until the puck gets there considering it was a one timer.

Pulki had a problem with a big backswing, but that was when he was carrying the puck. Take a big backswing when you're the puck carrier, and NHLers will block it.

I'm sure we'll get more highlights as the season goes on, we'll be able to judge better.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pulki had a problem with a big backswing, but that was when he was carrying the puck. Take a big backswing when you're the puck carrier, and NHLers will block it.

Pulkkinen problem was the non-existent reach. His puck control area was just a small spot. You had to have a perfect pass to complete that deadly shot. Same thing did affect to his defensive play, with his short stick/hands/wingspan, he was useless at defensive plays. Could never steal the puck away with short reach from an average player.

Guy like Patrik Laine has 2 meter diameter puck control area thanks to huge wingspan, and height which enables long stick. Guy can shoot from any position from that area, thanks to his skill and balance added to that reach, even after a poor pass. That makes a great goal-scorer.

Same reach-thing works with guys like Tuomisto or Seider. They'll have bigger area to control the puck and complete shots after poor passes.

Datsyuk never had problems with shooting or with puck control area, because he had those "monkey hands". Much more wingspan than his own height.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad