GDT: #35 | Devils @ Panthers | 7:30 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
While they don't give up many shots we have an unacceptable amount of breakdowns. Stamkos was left wide open literally over 5 times. And he didnt get a shot off twice I believe, so shots don't say everything. The d has been ok. The offense is clearly more of a problem though.

Exactly. Between Marty and Moose, they average giving up a goal every 9.75 shots against (839 shots, 86 goals). Moose let in lots of softies, but both Marty and Moose are constantly left high and dry with opposing players wide open in prime scoring locations.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
While they don't give up many shots we have an unacceptable amount of breakdowns. Stamkos was left wide open literally over 5 times. And he didnt get a shot off twice I believe, so shots don't say everything. The d has been ok. The offense is clearly more of a problem though.

Do we have more breakdowns than other teams? I don't really think so.

To me it doesn't make much sense that a defense could be so good at preventing shots, but be more susceptible to breakdowns.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

To me it doesn't make much sense that a defense could be so good at preventing shots, but be more susceptible to breakdowns.

Hmm, perhaps because the way they prevent shots is playing 200 feet away from their net. They are a good offensive zone pressure team, but if thing breakdown there watch out. I don't think 5 on 5 they are a particularly good team (systematically) in their own zone, which is why third period leads under Deboer have been an adventure.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

This is why when you take all these god damn statistics to try to defend this team, well it just doesn't float. At least for me it doesn't.

While statistics have their place, it's not my thing and it never will be. It makes little difference to me if the Devils are giving up the second fewest shots in the league, while at the same time they're committing breakdowns that would make a pee wee player blush. Just look at the most recent Tampa and Rangers games. Not a lot of shots against at all, but the defensive breakdowns in these games were horrific. I mean some downright terrible hockey.

Imho, one thing has saved this team from looking worse than they really are and that's their competition. Seriously, I can't remember the last time the Devils actually played a truly solid team. Montreal a couple weeks back? And before that you had the last two Penguins games. Otherwise, their schedule has been pretty forgiving the last several weeks and all they could muster up was 4 regulation wins through all of it. Sure, they definitely had some **** luck along the way, I get it, but what kind of excuse is that? 4 in 20? It just doesn't add up.

You can track puck possession, shots against, shots for, whatever you want. Bottom line is can the team find a way to win games? This NJ team as currently constructed is having an awful hard time doing just that. The Leafs are one of these teams that are constantly being predicted to regress and over the long haul, that may very well wind up being the case. But then I look at the standings, and they have a **** ton of regulation wins and they keep finding ways to get the job done. They must be doing something right, no?

If the goal is to make the playoffs, they're simply running out of time. That's my honest opinion about it. We all know they should be better, can be better and will most likely be better, but how long can you wait for that to come around? There are only 13 games left and the strength of the schedule is about to be taken up a notch. This is why I have a hard time believing they're going to get this straightened out. Not after what I've seen for a month and a half now. Time is short, and I'm not really sure what the hell else they can reasonably do to boost the roster.

Sometimes teams have trouble winning games for whatever reasons and this seems to be one of those periods. It is what it is I suppose. I hope they can hang on and qualify, but I honestly think you would have to be delusional to think this team has any chance of making some noise when the real games begin. I'll gladly eat crow all day long, but they've got to prove otherwise and they're running out of time to do it.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Hmm, perhaps because the way they prevent shots is playing 200 feet away from their net. They are a good offensive zone pressure team, but if thing breakdown there watch out. I don't think 5 on 5 they are a particularly good team (systematically) in their own zone, which is why third period leads under Deboer have been an adventure.

This is a good point.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The Devils are 15-11-9 this year. Their SO record this year is 2-6. If they were 6-2 in the shootout (like they were last year), their overall record would be 19-11-5, and I have a feeling at least 50% of the complainers on here would be singing the team's praises for enduring despite all the injuries.

The issue is that people tend to form narratives based on the team's won-loss record. If the team wins, people will look for every reason why they're winning, and if they're losing, people will look for every reason why they're losing. But anyone can make a story or issue out of anything. The trick is to really understand how the team is performing without being blinded by "OMG we lost!", because yes, luck does play a big roll in the outcome of the game. Take the analysis a step further and try to think objectively without automatically succumbing to "we won, so this is good" or "we lost, so this is bad."

The Devils have outshot their opponents in something like 14 of the last 16 games and look very competitive to me despite the injuries. They've had to endure some terrible goaltending in the last 20-25 games and are still solidly in the 7th seed. I'm pretty confident about this team going into the playoffs, especially once they get everyone healthy.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Many posters weren't happy in the beginning when we started really hot bc we weren't playing well. Obviously winning does lessen the complaints but it certainly matters how we're playing as well.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Does it not make sense because you have no stat about it? That's why stats don't tell the whole story. Corsi this fenwick that, the fact is that we consistently leave people wide open and we blow leads like its our mother****ing job.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
The Devils are 15-11-9 this year. Their SO record this year is 2-6. If they were 6-2 in the shootout (like they were last year), their overall record would be 19-11-5, and I have a feeling at least 50% of the complainers on here would be singing the team's praises for enduring despite all the injuries.

The issue is that people tend to form narratives based on the team's won-loss record. If the team wins, people will look for every reason why they're winning, and if they're losing, people will look for every reason why they're losing. But anyone can make a story or issue out of anything. The trick is to really understand how the team is performing without being blinded by "OMG we lost!", because yes, luck does play a big roll in the outcome of the game. Take the analysis a step further and try to think objectively without automatically succumbing to "we won, so this is good" or "we lost, so this is bad."

The Devils have outshot their opponents in something like 14 of the last 16 games and look very competitive to me despite the injuries. They've had to endure some terrible goaltending in the last 20-25 games and are still solidly in the 7th seed. I'm pretty confident about this team going into the playoffs, especially once they get everyone healthy.

These are fair points for sure, but where I disagree is how the team has been "competitive". You're right, they have been (for the most part at least) but I really see no reason for them not to have been. Maybe I'm really overrating what the Devils are or should be capable of and undervaluing their competition, but there are some really mediocre to terrible teams in the eastern conference this year. Just really bad hockey being played all around save for 3 or so teams.

NJ has some significant injuries and that seriously has to be taken into consideration, but even with the injuries, I still feel like NJ should be winning their fair share of games (shootouts not included). But they're not. You watch these games and it's pretty clear that they can still control play for stretches of the games. They're rarely being blown out by anyone, but they just can't get the results. It's always something with them. One day it's the goaltending. Next its the lack of goals. Then the defense is a mess. Someone is alays hurt. They just never seem to have the entire team pulling on the rope at the same time.

I was just thinking to myself during yesterday's game about how I would really love to see this team pitch a shutout for the first time in what seems like forever. You need a lot of luck to have them, but the team also needs to put themselves in position to even have the chance. I honestly felt like they were starting to come around against Carolina and Florida but then Kovy got hurt and here we are. But more than anything, I just want to see this team shut it down for once, especially against the weaker competition. Just totally lock down a game and snuff out their opponents.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I think part of the frustration on here that this weekend was an opprotunity lost to better secure a playoff spot. Finish those two games off and you are up 6 going into the Isles game monday with a chance to make it 8 up with 12 games to go. Instead now they are only 4 up and if they lose it is a 2 point margin. Carolina is also lurking with 2 games in hand the margin is closer than it appears.

They also lost ground on Toronto and the 6th seed and assuring they avoid Boston and Pitt in round 1. Though playing them twice and a game in hand it is concievable the Devils can catch them.

I think they are going to make it, it is just going to be more painful.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Brodeur has only lost twice in regulation this year in his 18 starts. That is pretty cool.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya if hedberg didnt start 13 or whatever games I probably wouldn't be complaining. But when they have 4 regulation wins in 20 games I have a small issue.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Kaley is back in my avatar. Let's hope for good luck tomorrow.

Still no word on the Sestito move as to why this was done? Should we just assume Barch is going to be in and it is for roster flexibility at the deadline?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I thought injuries wasn't an excuse for a team?

Well you can call Lou for icing 2 guys in net from the museum. And I'm not making excuses, Hedberg blew at least 5 points in that span and the rest of the team looked "average" for the rest. And c'mon don't try telling me going from a starting G to a subpar G is the same as missing Zubrus to Dagostini. I know we're at HF but that's weak.

I'm not saying, "Oh if we had Zubrus and Kovy we coulda beaten Florida and TB." That's an excuse.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Well you can call Lou for icing 2 guys in net from the museum. And I'm not making excuses, Hedberg blew at least 5 points in that span and the rest of the team looked "average" for the rest.

I'm not saying, "Oh if we had Zubrus and Kovy we coulda beaten Florida and TB." That's an excuse.

Well, Hedberg was in net because of injuries. I see the difference to a point because the goalie spot is so special but the logic is basically the same. We have Zubes in that final minute it's a world of difference just like it would be if we had Brodeur available when Heddie sucked dong.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
How do you even know Zubrus would be out there? Pete isn't even putting Elias out there.

That's the difference. I can show you where Hedberg ****ed us. I can't find where Zubrus would save us because you don't even know if he'd make the difference or even be playing.

If you can't see where putting in a G with a .850 in net over whatever Marty has is a monstrous difference then I don't know what to say. goaltending is so important I can't just compare that to our 2nd line RW/LW/C.

But that is still shaky, I'll semi-agree. Ottawa plays a great D style and their Goalie plays well. They win still. Pitt has Vokoun with Fleury, Budaj is good when called upon, etc.

Anyway, the Devils need to start winning again because they are on pace for another losing streak. Petey said they couldn't take another 6 game losing streak and we're about to be at 4 again.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

exactly and give a .500 ot record and it furthers the argument. the 7 or 8 game stretch where lost every game, they looked lost unmotivated and bad. past 6 games they have looked much better. im not saying they are the pittsburgh penguins but as i said last year...this is a team build for post season play. im sure lou is on the phones trying to add that final piece cause they are not as solid in all areas but if this is the team that has to go into post season i can live with it. its capable of getting out of the first round

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Does it not make sense because you have no stat about it? That's why stats don't tell the whole story. Corsi this fenwick that, the fact is that we consistently leave people wide open and we blow leads like its our mother****ing job.

It has nothing to do with stats. It just doesn't make sense intuitively to me.

The previous poster was probably on to something with the fact that our offensive game is part of the reason we suppress shots, by simply keeping the other team pinned backed.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I think bad luck is sometimes bad luck, but when you get pressured you make mistakes so that's why breakdowns are happening at the end of games. It's like, say, Manchester United in soccer that always manage to score that goal on extra time and one thinks it's luck but it's more. It's confidence and mental focus and says tons about how good a team is. Only thing with Devils is I see them sitting back with five minutes to go and it feels to me that it's a matter of not being confident enough. Dano was sitting in that studio after and fuming because, as he said, they did not do what they had to to prevent it. I'm a nobody but if he doesn't think it's just luck, I'll listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad