Speculation: 32 thoughts podcast, Pageau buy-out?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
No buyout or sweetener guarantees he’s back next year.

He has a sizeable no-trade list.

Look at what it cost to dump Walman at 3.4M x 2Y, a late 2nd. I doubt the Islanders are going to want to attach the 20th overall pick to Pageau, or something like 50+54. That's probably what it takes to dump him with his full contract and not taking back cap.

Odds are that most teams who would take him half-retained for future considerations are probably on his no-trade list. A team like San Jose would be a great fit, because they need veterans to insulate Celebrini, they will have a difficult time attracting UFAs, and Pageau is owed less money than his cap hit. The problem is that they are unlikely to take him at his full ticket, and they can't circumvent his NTC with waivers because San Jose would likely want retention.
I could be wrong, but you guys could be wrong too.

Reactions: doublechili

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So Laughable Lou got GM of the year back to back while destroying the roster with moves like that all because Trotz was a miracle worker and got the team to do better than the sum of their parts.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
So Laughable Lou got GM of the year back to back while destroying the roster with moves like that all because Trotz was a miracle worker and got the team to do better than the sum of their parts.
???

Pageau was enormous during those runs, what are you talking about?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would say that Bad Teams that are now playing their premium prospects in the NHL (SJ with Celebrini and Smith), Chi with Bedard, Ana with Carlsson, Gauthier, 3 young D, will need quality veterans to surround them.

To obtain vets in free agency, you are going to pay massive on either term or dollars. Ana paid a 33 year old Killorn $6.25 mill AAV for 4 years to sign with them.

Pageau turns 32 in Nov and would end his contract at close to the age Killorn was when he started his contract with Ana.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The contract was awful before the ink was dry and it wasn't hard to see that. NVM what was given up
Contract was like two weeks before covid, it was fine in a rising cap world.

What are you talking about what was given up? Magic bean talk? We went to the ECF twice against a Goliath in Tampa. Pageau was getting 10+ points back to back, excellent defensively and a Swiss Army knife of whatever was needed was done. It was exactly what we needed, we needed a premier third line center and he checked every box.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
He has a sizeable no-trade list.

Look at what it cost to dump Walman at 3.4M x 2Y, a late 2nd. I doubt the Islanders are going to want to attach the 20th overall pick to Pageau, or something like 50+54. That's probably what it takes to dump him with his full contract and not taking back cap.

Odds are that most teams who would take him half-retained for future considerations are probably on his no-trade list. A team like San Jose would be a great fit, because they need veterans to insulate Celebrini, they will have a difficult time attracting UFAs, and Pageau is owed less money than his cap hit. The problem is that they are unlikely to take him at his full ticket, and they can't circumvent his NTC with waivers because San Jose would likely want retention.

San Jose has plenty of cap space to absorb Pageau’s contract at full freight. I suspect Grier is open to it, provided there’s some compensation going back San Jose’s direction. as you mentioned the Sharks would find solid utility from Pageau.

I know JPG has been discussed on HFSharks, and nearly every Islanders AGM on Capfriendly has a trade moving Pageau to the Sharks with at least a second.

But with his NMC clauses it seems like SJ wouldn’t be a destination he’d be open to; so it’s probably academic.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The most dead-on-point post I've seen around here in a long time.

Would've been better if Malkin got rid of Lou and made Trotz GM, but the "in Lou we trust" cult are foaming at the mouth to protect a GM who continue to overpay for mediocre talent, giving insanely long deals, and most importantly "lead" this team to fringe playoff contention.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad