GDT: #3| Penguins at Toronto| Sat. Oct. 12 |7:00PM| SBA| NHLN, SN-PIT| Leper Messiah

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
3rd string goalie getting consecutive starts over Jarry

nicolas-cage-nicolas.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Beauvillier-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O’Connor-Eller-Puljujarvi
Hayes-Glass-Acciari

Grzelcyk-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
St. Ivany-Graves

Blomqvist

Frequently I look back at old GDT and want to know the line combos. Plenty of times the tweets are gone or deleted so I'm putting it in text.

I can't force everyone who makes a GDT to do that but it's my suggestion for historical records sake.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Beauvillier-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O’Connor-Eller-Puljujarvi
Hayes-Glass-Acciari

Grzelcyk-Letang
Pettersson-Karlsson
St. Ivany-Graves

Blomqvist

Frequently I look back at old GDT and want to know the line combos. Plenty of times the tweets are gone or deleted so I'm putting it in text.

I can't force everyone who makes a GDT to do that but it's my suggestion for historical records sake.
You must like My screenshot GDTs once or twice a year then for historical purposes haha

I wish McGroarty was playing tonight.
Or sent down. I just want him playing. I have nothing wrong with 10 minutes in NHL but he needs to play.

Go Blomqvist.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You must like My screenshot GDTs once or twice a year then for historical purposes haha

I wish McGroarty was playing tonight.
Or sent down. I just want him playing. I have nothing wrong with 10 minutes in NHL but he needs to play.

Go Blomqvist.
Me also. Scratching McGR Is dumb. RR did nothing, scratch him, the kid is playing well.

Where the hell is Tavares at?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Well I for one am shocked that Sullivan would bench a young player for no good reason.

Who should have been scratched instead? McGroarty is clearly the worst forward on the roster.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's really funny how Sully has the shortest leash for his goalies historically but he'll play withered Jeff Carter like 100 bad games in a row.

I'm not complaining mind you. I just wish Sully was as ruthless when his bad vet forwards had crap games as he is with his goalies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
At this point are we surprised? The PP1 looked decent in Detroit, not good but at least decent. So obviously we are making change there. Rust re-enters the lineup, so naturally we have to disrupt three of the four lines. Naturally.

For the record, the two-D power play did not look terrible last game but Rakell is just so much better than Rust on the power play. I don't know how that is even debatable at this point. Bunting over Rakell is more debatable than Rust over Rakell IMO.

Secondly, I really liked a lefty RW on Malkin's like in Detroit. So naturally, we are putting that in the trash after a win.

Normally, I would say I hope Toronto kills us like NYR did just to prove our point but I really want Blomqvist to do well.

We just can't win with Sullivan.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
McGroarty needs to see things from up top so he can learn the NHL game and be able to do things that Sully likes. Maybe next time he gets into the lineup he can take a careless high sticking penalty to nearly cost the Pens the game like Acciari.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
At this point are we surprised? The PP1 looked decent in Detroit, not good but at least decent. So obviously we are making change there. Rust re-enters the lineup, so naturally we have to disrupt three of the four lines. Naturally.

For the record, the two-D power play did not look terrible last game but Rakell is just so much better than Rust on the power play. I don't know how that is even debatable at this point. Bunting over Rakell is more debatable than Rust over Rakell IMO.

Secondly, I really liked a lefty RW on Malkin's like in Detroit. So naturally, we are putting that in the trash after a win.

Normally, I would say I hope Toronto kills us like NYR did just to prove our point but I really want Blomqvist to do well.

We just can't win with Sullivan.
The PP looked the same to me. Obvious, slow passing around the perimeter. Long delays before shots. Karlsson took a shot that bounced off a leg, took a sharp turn and went to the perfect spot. It's more an indication of luck than anything sustainable imo.

I'll believe in the PP being better when there's more skating, one-timers, net-fronts getting puck touches, threatening seam passes and they're fishing the puck less from their zone.

Good PPs break the structure of opposition boxes and force the middle ice.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The PP looked the same to me. Obvious, slow passing around the perimeter. Long delays before shots. Karlsson took a shot that bounced off a leg that took a sharp turn and went to the perfect spot. It's more an indication of luck than anything sustainable imo.

I'll believe in the PP being better when there's more skating, one-timers, net-fronts getting puck touches, threatening seam passes and they're fishing the puck less from their zone.

Good PPs break the structure of opposition boxes and force the middle ice.
David Quinn supposedly wants them working the puck down low more than they did last year so I've been keeping an eye out for that. That was something that was noticeable in preseason to me. Vs Detroit they did it a little bit but not as much as I liked.

They need to do that rather than the slow playing catch at the top of the umbrella all the time. Work it low more and that will open up the plays up top.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
David Quinn supposedly wants them working the puck down low more than they did last year so I've been keeping an eye out for that. That was something that was noticeable in preseason to me. Vs Detroit they did it a little bit but not as much as I liked.

They need to do that rather than the slow playing catch at the top of the umbrella all the time. Work it low more and that will open up the plays up top.
Yeah, this formation should allow for more puck touches in those areas and screens.
EK's goal happened because he used the available space to walk in, so that's a positive change at least.

I just question if it's wise not to have our best net-front guy on the unit.
I highly doubt they need Rakell or Rust more than they need Bunting.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think there was a little more movement especially up top last game on the powerplay but I mean... yeah... I'm hardly poppin' a bottle champs on it, yet.

Don't much care for some of the personnel choices, either. As stated one would think they'd have the only net front guy on the team up there, for starters. And I'm not really understanding what they are hoping to accomplish with both Letang and EK on the same unit.. at least as currently schemed. I love Letang but it's really weird to me that he somehow MUST be a fixture on PP1 throughout the years barring very few exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad