GDT: #3 Home Opener - A Tribute to Johnny Gaudreau - Florida @ Columbus - 8/15 @ 7 PM EST

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
ope that’s it. start the parade. elvis talent level = saros’ talent level because that had similar save percentages for one game.

View attachment 917437
going to leave this here, again.

You entirely missed the point. The point is that on any given night in this era you can expect to see .800 type goalie performances from all-stars and waiver pickups alike. It doesn't tell you much.

Reactions: GoJackets1

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm not gonna pile in on Elvis just yet. It was only his 2nd game, it was an emotional night and he had a good performance in his first start. Need a bigger sample size before we can truly judge with all the changes in the offseason. Talk to me in December.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not gonna pile in on Elvis just yet. It was only his 2nd game, it was an emotional night and he had a good performance in his first start. Need a bigger sample size before we can truly judge with all the changes in the offseason. Talk to me in December.
You're right. I should have said Elvis sucked (again) instead of Elvis sucks (again). I was criticizing his inability to play at his best on a special night.

S1N4TR4

CBJ CBJ CBJ
Nov 15, 2013
You entirely missed the point. The point is that on any given night in this era you can expect to see .800 type goalie performances from all-stars and waiver pickups alike. It doesn't tell you much.

I understand that but you have to be entirely naive if you don’t see that elvis has these ‘.800 save percentage performances’ way more often than not.

S1N4TR4

CBJ CBJ CBJ
Nov 15, 2013
a bigger sample size? I don’t know… maybe a 3.21 GAA over the first 193 appearances to start his career is a big enough sample size, i’d say.

certainly y’all are going to let a solid pre-season performance give him a pass to yet another horrid start to a season.

an emotional night, sure. I get that.

also @majormajor, said they didn’t think he played that bad against minnesota. welp news flash, look whose in the bottom 5 again in the entire league in goals saved above expected. you’ll say ‘small sample size’, and I’ll say make sure to save this picture because I guarantee you, Elvis will still be ranked 45th or worse in about 10 starts from now.

IMG_1980.png

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
a bigger sample size? I don’t know… maybe a 3.21 GAA over the first 193 appearances to start his career is a big enough sample size, i’d say.

certainly y’all are going to let a solid pre-season performance give him a pass to yet another horrid start to a season.

an emotional night, sure. I get that.

also @majormajor, said they didn’t think he played that bad against minnesota. welp news flash, look whose in the bottom 5 again in the entire league in goals saved above expected. you’ll say ‘small sample size’, and I’ll say make sure to save this picture because I guarantee you, Elvis will still be ranked 45th or worse in about 10 starts from now.

View attachment 917589

Those stats will have some bearing over the long run. They're not that useful to describe a goalie's game that you just watched.

Like before looking it up what do you think the xGs were on each of the four goals against?

When people say stuff like "really tough to stop that but we needed a save", you'd think the shot would be somewhere in the 20-80% chance of going in. But none of Florida's goals got an xG of higher than 13%, including Sam Reinhart, the recent 57 goal scorer, walking in alone.

So I'll use my eyes for now, and we can talk about the GSAx later.

That and I have to say that there might not be much riding on whether we start Elvis or not. It's not like we have a great goalie backing him up. So if he's being a good teammate behind the scenes, and given that this is not a year where we're expected to do much, maybe we can chill out?

S1N4TR4

CBJ CBJ CBJ
Nov 15, 2013
Those stats will have some bearing over the long run. They're not that useful to describe a goalie's game that you just watched.

Like before looking it up what do you think the xGs were on each of the four goals against?

When people say stuff like "really tough to stop that but we needed a save", you'd think the shot would be somewhere in the 20-80% chance of going in. But none of Florida's goals got an xG of higher than 13%, including Sam Reinhart, the recent 57 goal scorer, walking in alone.

So I'll use my eyes for now, and we can talk about the GSAx later.

That and I have to say that there might not be much riding on whether we start Elvis or not. It's not like we have a great goalie backing him up. So if he's being a good teammate behind the scenes, and given that this is not a year where we're expected to do much, maybe we can chill out?

“given that this is not a year where we’re expected to do much” … sure the people who aren’t fans of our fanbase and the writers/media have said that but from what I’ve seen so far, I beg to differ.

I stand by my point, if we have had decent goaltending in the 3 games, we could easily be 3-0.

this team would surprise MANY if we had decent goaltending.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
“given that this is not a year where we’re expected to do much” … sure the people who aren’t fans of our fanbase and the writers/media have said that but from what I’ve seen so far, I beg to differ.

I stand by my point, if we have had decent goaltending in the 3 games, we could easily be 3-0.

this team would surprise MANY if we had decent goaltending.

Okay, you tell me how we get decent goaltending. Are you suggesting a trade? You think one of other goalies has it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad