GDT: #3 | Flyers at Oilers | Tuesday, October 15, 2024 | 10:00 PM Celsius Time | ESPN

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Luchanko could go to the AHL it would be ideal (which is what some European prospects have done at 18-19). Watching him, he's probably too advanced for the CHL.

So it's a tough call, but one he'll make through his play.

Right now he hasn't shown enough to either keep or send down, that is, he's shown he can handle the NHL physically and mentally, but he hasn't shown enough that keeping him is a no-brainer.

But this is two games on a West Coast road trip, let's see how he fares in the 6 game homestand.

PS: Luchanko at 18 looks more NHL ready than Frost did at 20.
You are an idiot if you think Jett is too advanced for the CHL.

Christ

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
You said, repeatedly, for years, that the NHL is not a development league and players must do all their development in the AHL, and that it is therefore good that young players stew in the AHL indefinitely while veterans decline and degrade in what should be their NHL spots.

You also insisted that it was good that Frost was kept down needlessly because he never dominated the AHL, and thus is not an NHL player. We saw how that worked out, but Luchanko has never dominated any level.

So, what's up? Were you wrong for years? Or do you just make up whatever standard is needed to defend team choices?
Luchanko can't go to the AHL though so it's different. I think you have to take each player and evaluate them on an individual basis. You decide if their junior situation would be good for them, if coaching here is better for them, Their level of maturity and personality. It's not a one size fits all decision.

The recent trend is for teams to keep these guys up rather then send them to junior. To varying levels of success. Benson in Buffalo for example, Poitras in Boston. etc. Perhaps Flyers are just moving with the times and adapting.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Konecny at 18 scored 101 points in 60 CHL games. Then scored 28 points in 70 NHL games as a 19 year old. I haven't seen anything to make me think Luchanko is more advanced at the same age.
Ok course not...because you ate looking at things honestly.

Meanwhile a certain person was just saying 2 weeks ago there was no way they keep Jett...now he is too advanced for CHL.

Can't make up such stupid shit.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Luchanko can't go to the AHL though so it's different. I think you have to take each player and evaluate them on an individual basis. You decide if their junior situation would be good for them, if coaching here is better for them, Their level of maturity and personality. It's not a one size fits all decision.

The recent trend is for teams to keep these guys up rather then send them to junior. To varying levels of success. Benson in Buffalo for example, Poitras in Boston. etc. Perhaps Flyers are just moving with the times and adapting.
Benson was 38 pts OVER a PPG in Jr his draft year.

Jett was 6 Pts over a PPG.

Not close to being the same....at all. Send him back to Jr to work on his offense and have a season like Benson did his draft year. It will 100% be better for him....and the Flyers long term.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

Poitras went back for his D+1. You’re talking about his D+2.

The entire recent list of even arguably similar handlings for similar levels of prospect is Benson. That’s it. And there is no argument that they were equivalent players heading into their draft. The guys that go straight to the NHL aren’t mid 1sts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Poitras went back for his D+1. You’re talking about his D+2.

The entire recent list of even arguably similar handlings for similar levels of prospect is Benson. That’s it. And there is no argument that they were equivalent players heading into their draft. The guys that go straight to the NHL aren’t mid 1sts.
Beware of blanket statements.
2010: Cam Fowler #12
2014: Pastrnak (25 AHL games then the NHL)
2016: Chrychrun #16
It's rare but it does happen.
What's more common are foreign players spending their D+1 seasons in the AHL.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Beware of blanket statements.
2010: Cam Fowler #12
2014: Pastrnak (25 AHL games then the NHL)
2016: Chrychrun #16
It's rare but it does happen.
What's more common are foreign players spending their D+1 seasons in the AHL.

I said recent. This is like when you kept telling me Drew Brees and Brady weren’t 1st rounders, so you don’t have to get a QB in the 1st anymore.

Fowler was the 5th ranked prospect on draft night. Not a comparable on any reasonable planet. Would be a Buium comp though! Feel free to add that to Dobson as a draft day falling Defenseman. There’s exactly one more if you go that far back too.

Pastrnak didn’t go directly to the NHL as you said. Plus he played against adults before being drafted. In no universe is that a comp for a good but not great OHL player. I have no idea why you brought him up.

Chychrun was 8 years ago on a team trying to spend as little money as humanly possible above everything else in the middle of a bankruptcy/relocation saga. Probably not apples to apples! And I know you’re not going to try to tell me the Coyotes are a blueprint.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
can you send him down later? Didnt you need to take the 9 game window or its too late?
He can be sent down anytime. The 9 game threshold (his games played, not team games) is where his ELC kicks in. So if you send him down after game 10, you lose a year of cheap labor for basically nothing.

At least that's how it works as far as I know. I'm not sure if you can call him back up after you sent him back down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he plays in Seattle, then after the 6 game homestand they'll have hit 9 games.
By that point, it'll be clear if he doesn't belong.

One unusual thing with Luchanko, he filled out between 16-17, went from somewhere in the 160s to 187 by the end of his D-0 season. A lot of talented players, even in the top ten, don't fill out until 19-20. So while they have the skill to play at the NHL level, they don't have the body.

Jack Hughes for example, was probably rushed.
18: 61g 3-9 12 ES
19: 56g 10-14 24 ES

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Are you knuckleheads really still allowing yourselves to get trolled after a decade? Good lord.

Reactions: Nizzle

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
If he plays in Seattle, then after the 6 game homestand they'll have hit 9 games.
By that point, it'll be clear if he doesn't belong.

One unusual thing with Luchanko, he filled out between 16-17, went from somewhere in the 160s to 187 by the end of his D-0 season. A lot of talented players, even in the top ten, don't fill out until 19-20. So while they have the skill to play at the NHL level, they don't have the body.

Jack Hughes for example, was probably rushed.
18: 61g 3-9 12 ES
19: 56g 10-14 24 ES
Lbs/In² must be your favorite metric.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad