GDT: #3 | Flyers at Oilers | Tuesday, October 15, 2024 | 10:00 PM Celsius Time | ESPN

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Luchanko doesn't look like a 18 year old rookie, I mean he should have been intimated, playing in Edmonton, often against McJesus. Yeah, he'll have to improve his shot, but he didn't look out of place after a tentative start to the game.

Happy to take the point, win in Seattle and it's a great road trip.

Agree with this, wanna see Andrae get a shot over Johnson. They get a loser point in Edmonton, we take those. If they win in Seattle, def a good road trip, shit even if they lose it’s not a disaster they had a tough stretch to start the season

Reactions: ybnvs

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
I fell asleep and tried to use Tortorella’s post game presser thumbnail photo to determine if we won, I said we lost in SO, why we didn’t winnded the highlights were so promising?

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
So... seems like I picked a good game to watch only the 1st period of then go to bed.

Took a look at the box score... Luchanko played almost twice what Couts did. If I were you guys, I'd mentally prepare for him to stay here longer than 9 games.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
What game were people watching that Jett was good ? I don’t recall him creating any offense ? Had a few shifts that were awful , he clearly isn’t ready. Send him back now and play one of hot Rod or Cates at center.

And my lord Risto EJ and Z are bad, like real bad.
If Andre can’t play over these 3 bums, he will never play sadly.

And the Couts hatred from Torts is very apparent. Multiple huge offensive and defensive draws he refuses to use him and we then lose the draw.

This year 100% will be less points than last year

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
What game were people watching that Jett was good ? I don’t recall him creating any offense ? Had a few shifts that were awful , he clearly isn’t ready. Send him back now and play one of hot Rod or Cates at center.

And my lord Risto EJ and Z are bad, like real bad.
If Andre can’t play over these 3 bums, he will never play sadly.

And the Couts hatred from Torts is very apparent. Multiple huge offensive and defensive draws he refuses to use him and we then lose the draw.

This year 100% will be less points than last year

The third goal happened because of him and he was stoned later on too. He did OK last night.

Couts' lack of use is because he kinda sucks.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Idk what the deal with Couts is but if he’s done the Flyers center depth is in trouble. No reason Luchanko should get more than 9 games. He has a lot of potential but let him find his confidence and offense in juniors and reevaluate next year. Wonder if Michkov is tried at center at some point…there’s stuff to like in the early season but center and defense are the weak points. Maybe Briere uses one or both the later 1sts as trade ammo if a worthy target presents itself. A high Flyers pick would be welcome as long as a lot of the young players have good seasons. The center depth and defense will hold us back

Reactions: AdamParrot

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Luchanko and Michkov seem to have some chemistry together, if you keep Luchanko, playing with Michkov will certainly help his offensive development.

A top 6 center and a top 4 LHD would make this a much better team.
If you go "center", Frost, Luchanko, that would be a pretty good trio, then all you need is players like Berglund, Ruohonen, Knuble and Avon to push Poehling at 4C.

Same way York - Sanheim, LHD - Bonk, McDonald/Andrae - Drysdale in a couple years.

They matched up pretty well against Edmonton except against McDavid - Draisaitl, but what team can match up against that line?

Whether Luchanko goes back probably depends how he looks in the 6 game homestand.
For any rookie to start the season on the road, spend his second game against McDavid, you're not going to get a good read.

Opposing ES TOI with Luchanko on ice:
Ekholm 7:07/Bouchard 6:40
McDavid 5:31
Draisaitl 5:24
Stecher 4:55/Nurse 4:12
Hyman 4:19
Brown 3:52
Henrique 3:48
Kulak 3:22
Podkolzin 3:19
Perry 3:16

I'd point out that Bedard didn't blow anyone's socks off last season:
pp/60: 1.96, xGF 41.96%, xGFrel +1.95, HDCF 37.55%, HDCFrel -1.49
Just saying it's tough for any 18 year old rookie.

Expectations for Luchanko are much lower, just hold your own, score a few points, don't be a black hole on defense, and grow your game.

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Luchanko and Michkov seem to have some chemistry together, if you keep Luchanko, playing with Michkov will certainly help his offensive development.

If you go "center", Frost, Luchanko, that would be a pretty good trio, then all you need is players like Berglund, Ruohonen, Knuble and Avon to push Poehling at 4C.

Same way York - Sanheim, LHD - Bonk, McDonald/Andrae - Drysdale in a couple years.

They matched up pretty well against Edmonton except against McDavid - Draisaitl, but what team can match up against that line?

Whether Luchanko goes back probably depends how he looks in the 6 game homestand.
For any rookie to start the season on the road, spend his second game against McDavid, you're not going to get a good read.

Expectations for Luchanko are much lower, just hold your own, score a few points, don't be a black hole on defense, and grow your game.
Here's a better idea, send him back to juniors, let him dominate, get some confidence, find more of his game, let him play in the WJC, and then try again next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I only watched the first period but he lost a lot of puck battles in that time. Not surprising going up against grown men.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I don't think my eyes were deceiving me last night, but I'm pretty sure Andrae would have been more of a positive on the ice in the 11.5 minutes Johnson received.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They knew they had these issues going into the season, why do you think Torts smothered the "playoffs" talk quickly.
He also downplayed Michkov b/c he doesn't want the media to raise expectations too high for a 19 year old rookie.
And he sound ambivalent about Luchanko b/c he wants the kid to play without feeling he has to do too much.

They know they're rebuilding, they know they need another top 6 center and a couple LHDs.
To cover his ass. If they make makes him look like such a great coach. If not told you so. They want the playoffs 100%. They said that is now the goal. Or are they lying once again?

Doesn't want MM to take the spotlight away from him, the face of the franchise.

they are nor rebuilding. They are doing what the Flyers always do.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
So... seems like I picked a good game to watch only the 1st period of then go to bed.

Took a look at the box score... Luchanko played almost twice what Couts did. If I were you guys, I'd mentally prepare for him to stay here longer than 9 games.

Way ahead of you. In fact, I have already mentally prepared myself for the massive 8-year contract captain Luchanko will sign in his late 20s.

MayonnaiseOreo

Undiagnosed Everything
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
I was responsible and went to bed last night instead of staying up to watch the game and it figures I miss Michkov's first two goals in the process. Sucks to see they choked a 2-0 and 3-2 lead though not surprising. I know it's better for them to be dog ass but it's hard to actively root for losses.

MayonnaiseOreo

Undiagnosed Everything
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
Just re-watched the OT highlight and that was awful from Michkov on the "backcheck" and him just wandering completely away from the play while McDavid still had the puck, leaving 2 Oilers alone in front of the net.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I watched the first period and was happy to see both Michkov goals. That second one was a laser.

Also sounds like I made the right choice to go to bed.

Reactions: Curufinwe

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

still pushing the Hunter hype. Want to bet he never becomes an NHL regular dman.

Any team that adds a top 6 center or #1 dman will be a better team. They need a RHD just as much as a left.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad