Post-Game Talk: 3-2 Panthers

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
I just hope the Leafs can go on a major streak in the last few weeks. Well, it doesn't matter, even if they get #1 they will probably trade it away for some veteran or make a "surprise" pick that will knock the socks off the hockey world.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just hope the Leafs can go on a major streak in the last few weeks. Well, it doesn't matter, even if they get #1 they will probably trade it away for some veteran or make a "surprise" pick that will knock the socks off the hockey world.

I think the Leafs are pretty focused under the new leadership. Vancouver on the other hand

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

This post feels so much like it has been posted in the wrong thread :laugh:

Regarding the game: Jets looked awesome for 20 minutes, then very good for another 20 minutes and then very "meh" for another 20 minutes.

Burmi had a great game, best Jet imo. It seems like he tends to do better with better linemates instead 4th liners.... too bad he's still not really putting up points so that won't get him into the top 6. Other than that I was actually pretty happy with the outcome. Play good, dominate a playoff team for stretches and still find a way for your tank commander to come through.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just finished watching the game ( was in minneapolis too see the Boss , what a show !!!! ) Jets all over the opposition , opposition gets ONE scoring chance on the sieve and ..... GOAL !!! Pavelec has done this the whole time he has been a Jet , i can't imagine how this deflates the team !!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I saw him in front of the net a few times. He's going to get some goals from there.

Only if we get the puck there. Getting the puck to the front of the net seems to be a logical thing to do, but we seldom do it. We spend so much time cycling that we don't usually attack. It was nice to see a couple of times that we varied that approach last night and hopefully it's something that we start to do more often.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Aside from the odd mistake and that Luongo is so much better than Pavs, I thought it was a good game. A young team full of rookies managed to dominate the top team in the Atlantic for two periods. To a casual observer, you'd think we were a top 4 team in the league and not a bottom 4 team.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
On the Moose? Really don't know what Dano brings that Petan, DeLeo, Lipon or Lemieux couldn't next season.

Really don't get Dano's game right now.

I whole ******** of more skill than any of them :laugh:

None of those 4 will be on the team next year, Dano will be a real solid middle 6 player. Lipon is never going be more than a 12th/13th forward, doubt he ever plays 75 games or more in a season. He is quite overrated here :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Some people get amnesia about these things...Armia didn't always look good, Scheifele, Ehlers, didn't always look good...Dano gets at least 10 - 20 games to make an impression in my books. Breaking out the knives after the first 2 games seems weird

Except that Schief, Ehlers and Armia were scorers in other leagues, Dano never was.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Except that Schief, Ehlers and Armia were scorers in other leagues, Dano never was.

Better ppg pace over more than half a season than Jonathan Drouin at the same age. You know other than that...

Blaming Dano for being too good for juniors at a much younger age than any of those players :laugh:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
This team could be up by 3 goals and they would still find a way to lose. I bet if they had a 10 points lead for the last WC spot they would lose it. This is just a down year and hopefully the last one for awhile.

Down year? You do know this franchise has never, ever, won a playoff game?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Better ppg pace over more than half a season than Jonathan Drouin at the same age. You know other than that...

Blaming Dano for being too good for juniors at a much younger age than any of those players :laugh:

With two NHL franchises giving up on him already, but then again you know more than most...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With two NHL franchises giving up on him already, but then again you know more than most...

Trading a player doesn't really mean giving up on someone. Do you "give up" on having money when you pay your mortgage? "I'm tired of having this money, guess I'll spend it on housing".

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

He was a coveted piece in those trades, and a big part of why Saad went the other way in the CHI - CBJ trade. But I guess you could spin it as he was unwanted.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Trading a player doesn't really mean giving up on someone. Do you "give up" on having money when you pay your mortgage? "I'm tired of having this money, guess I'll spend it on housing".

lol... yeah.

let's see... traded for Saad and traded for Ladd. sounds like a fairly highly valued prospect, actually.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
lol... yeah.

let's see... traded for Saad and traded for Ladd. sounds like a fairly highly valued prospect, actually.

Artem Anisimov, Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin and Corey Tropp and a fourth-round selection in the 2016 draft went to Columbus for Saad.

Pretty sure the first round pick in 2016 the Jets received for Ladd was a bigger part of the deal than the Dano throw in.

I don't dislike Dano, seems like a good kid, just don't like the hype that he is some kind of emerging star.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Ahl

Alright I have said this once before but not as in depth as I will say it now:

Chipman and Thomson (Richest man in the NHL) have gradually bought out TNSE's other shareholders to gain sole ownership of the company. They have, are and will continue to build a NHL Hockey Enterprise that will be the envy of all NHL Teams and fans.

Chipman and Thomson not only want to win the Stanley Cup once but they also want to build a franchise that continuously stays in the top three teams in the NHL while never ever having to do a major rebuild.

How do you say?

Well you start off with high caliber drafting and then develop your young players and you continuously stay young by not following what the rest of the NHL CAP Teams are doing. For when the Winnipeg Jets stay young guess what happens when your selling/trading some of the top producing NHL Stanley Cup Champion players at around the age of 27 ish for this continuously gives you your #1 picks and lower picks year after year after year period so your team forever stays young, always has great prospects coming up and you are always a contender year after year and forever more!.

This is what True North Sports & Entertainment is all about.

And we are so lucky to have them and all you have to do is believe, its also called having faith in True North Management, Coaching, Players and every old, young and new Winnipeg Jets fan.

:handclap::nod: Go Jets GO! :jets Go Jets GO! :nod::handclap: Forever More!

How can they go wrong with proven AHL management?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I was at the game last night. In my unbridled pre-season optimism, I backloaded my games - so I have a lot over the next month. This appears to have been a bit of a bad gamble...

Although I wouldn't say getting to watch the 4th line out there for 11 minutes was a treat exactly, it was nice to see Copp getting some extra time on ice.

The Jets just dominated that game for the first two periods. It felt like a Moose game with that huge shot imbalance - except the Panthers were the Moose. A big part of the Jets success was that Florida wasn't forechecking much - you give the Jets time to figure out their zone exits and they will do an admirable job. The cycle was going well for the Jets too - but again, I think Florida was just going through the motions for the first 40 minutes.

Unfortunate penalties and Pavelecian goaltending were the ultimate downfall. Luongo's still good. Only 6 years after this one to go on his deal... :laugh: Though really, you can't say he hasn't held up his end of the bargain so far.

The atmosphere is so subdued at MTSC these days. It's a little sad. I'm part of the problem - I just can't get too fired up about anything. It takes a lot of the stress out of watching the game, but I really miss it. It's gonna be a long March...maybe I should drink more?

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Not sure what that has to do with this being the worst year for the franchise since before the move.

Every year in their history has been down. Either no playoffs or no playoff wins. This is not an exceptional year. It is the norm. Also every year but one with either Chevy or his old boss / mentor Wedell as GM.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Was at the game last night, made sure I watched Dano.

Didn't seem like he had the puck on his stick too often, but his line definitely controlled the play when they were out there. Seemed to generally be in the right position all the time and didn't make any mistakes. Was set up in the slot a couple times where he would have had a good chance but the offensive black hole that is Lowry could not find him. Thought his line worked well together cycling the puck, I think if you put someone with more skill in between him and Armia that could be a really solid line. Lowry, IMO is a glorified 4th liner and would make a great 4th line C but nothing more.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Every year in their history has been down. Either no playoffs or no playoff wins. This is not an exceptional year. It is the norm. Also every year but one with either Chevy or his old boss / mentor Wedell as GM.

So being one of the three worst teams is the same as drafting 13th? :help: If you don't see a clear difference in this season versus all the others since the return then I can't help you. We have essentially been eliminated from the playoffs a month or more earlier then we have been in the last five years. Every other year we still have an outside shot at the playoffs. This year there ain't a chance in hell. This is very clearly a "down" year compared to most.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Was at the game last night, made sure I watched Dano.

Didn't seem like he had the puck on his stick too often, but his line definitely controlled the play when they were out there. Seemed to generally be in the right position all the time and didn't make any mistakes. Was set up in the slot a couple times where he would have had a good chance but the offensive black hole that is Lowry could not find him. Thought his line worked well together cycling the puck, I think if you put someone with more skill in between him and Armia that could be a really solid line. Lowry, IMO is a glorified 4th liner and would make a great 4th line C but nothing more.

Really don't know why Maurice hasn't flipped Copp and Lowry for a look, I was never that high on Copp but his goal yesterday was a beauty and took skill!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I was at the game last night. In my unbridled pre-season optimism, I backloaded my games - so I have a lot over the next month. This appears to have been a bit of a bad gamble...

Although I wouldn't say getting to watch the 4th line out there for 11 minutes was a treat exactly, it was nice to see Copp getting some extra time on ice.

The Jets just dominated that game for the first two periods. It felt like a Moose game with that huge shot imbalance - except the Panthers were the Moose. A big part of the Jets success was that Florida wasn't forechecking much - you give the Jets time to figure out their zone exits and they will do an admirable job. The cycle was going well for the Jets too - but again, I think Florida was just going through the motions for the first 40 minutes.

Unfortunate penalties and Pavelecian goaltending were the ultimate downfall. Luongo's still good. Only 6 years after this one to go on his deal... :laugh: Though really, you can't say he hasn't held up his end of the bargain so far.

The atmosphere is so subdued at MTSC these days. It's a little sad. I'm part of the problem - I just can't get too fired up about anything. It takes a lot of the stress out of watching the game, but I really miss it. It's gonna be a long March...maybe I should drink more?

I sold yesterday's game - I do have 3 games left that appear to be meaningless - but one I'll get to see McDavid, and the other 2 are my birthday and last game/bobblehead night. I'll keep those ones I think - but not really going in hoping for the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad