Value of: 2C to Col.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My point is that we already have 4 or 5 really good young forwards and 2 picks in the first round of this coming draft that could plausibly solve our problem at 2C in the next year or two. Even if we don't end up with Hughes, there are a handful of other good young Cs in the top 10-15 draft prospects. There's really no reason to overpay for the kind of C that we'd want.

Yeah there’s a good chance that solution is fixed by the draft. But still, how long till said prospect is ready to take over the 2C role? Mackinnon has been quoted as saying he won’t be patient to much longer. All of our core players are ready to compete and contend now.

And when I say we need to make a move now, I don’t mean like ASAP. I mean in the next 12 months or so.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yeah there’s a good chance that solution is fixed by the draft. But still, how long till said prospect is ready to take over the 2C role? Mackinnon has been quoted as saying he won’t be patient to much longer. All of our core players are ready to compete and contend now.

And Sakic has been quoted as saying he wants the team to grow up together, wants the youngsters to grow into their roles on the team, and doesn't want to try to force anything.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Given the current standings, which can easily change these would be my top 5 picks:

Kevin Hayes
Frans Nielsen - Limited NTC
Brock Nelson
Matt Duchene - :laugh:
Eric Staal - Modified NTC

I doubt Minnesota even if they were out of the picture would trade Staal to a division rival, and I doubt Ottawa would trade with Colorado after the original Duchene deal. I think there will be limited 2C options come trade deadline for sure. Not a lot of UFA power coming up, and the guys that could be moved aren't the high end 2C's. Serviceable, and very underrated like Nielsen but not the piece I think Colorado needs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And Sakic has been quoted as saying he wants the team to grow up together, wants the youngsters to grow into their roles on the team, and doesn't want to try to force anything.

Again I’m not saying force anything. But our prospect pool down the road should be a factor in whether or not we can add the right piece to becoming a true cup contender.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
All the years that the Caps went out to go all-in and made win-now deal after win-now deal (see: Forsberg for Erat) and every damn time it failed.
Then everyone thought their window was already closed and that their team was significantly weaker after the whole Shattenkirk ordeal and losing Schmidt to Vegas for nothing and they win a cup....

Sometimes teams after having stalled for years like the Kings back then when they were up and comers for quite some time, a big move can be needed to help push it over the top.
But the Avs are nowhere near that stage. If anything shaking things up in a youthful lockerroom like that has as much risk as it has upside..

Going All-in for Macks contract IMO is stupid. The Avs have the youth and depth to build a very longterm contender regardless of the Mack contract. The only thing they can't afford to do is go out and make a splash for a 2nd line guy that will cost an arm and a leg (depleting the good system you finally managed to build) and get signed to a contract that makes keeping the rest of the young guys harder.

Also Rantanens next deal already makes it obvious that that Avs won't be in capheaven forever and that they should rather set a precedent of building from within and rewarding their own guys instead of trying to make splashes.
We are not even 10 games in...

Avs have been on the opposite end of a stupid team that thought they were way better than they really were and therefore rying to rush things twice now. Hell We have been there in 2014 as well.
Time for a very long vacation, Mr. Sakic! Don't bother picking up your phone till a week before the deadline. And only if you want to do something small.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Given the current standings, which can easily change these would be my top 5 picks:

Kevin Hayes
Frans Nielsen - Limited NTC
Brock Nelson
Matt Duchene - :laugh:
Eric Staal - Modified NTC

I doubt Minnesota even if they were out of the picture would trade Staal to a division rival, and I doubt Ottawa would trade with Colorado after the original Duchene deal. I think there will be limited 2C options come trade deadline for sure. Not a lot of UFA power coming up, and the guys that could be moved aren't the high end 2C's. Serviceable, and very underrated like Nielsen but not the piece I think Colorado needs.

Well Nielsen would be cheap to acquire.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So Avs want a <26 year old 2nd line center scoring around 60 points but their 5 most valuable pieces are untouchable?

TIL a combination of OTT 1st, COL 1st, Barrie, Girard, Jost, Kerfoot, Kaut, Zadorov, Varlamov, Grubuaer, Timmins, etc. would not net a #2C.

Good to know.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Oh man, I would do Kaut+ for Schmaltz is in a heart beat. Too bad Schmaltz is realistically unavailable.
Yeah probably unavailable but just for fun what would be the +?

I think I'm higher on Kaut than all Avs fans haha. I ranked him higher than anyone else on this board.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No interest in Schmaltz? Seems to be everything you're looking for.

I just want Kaut :D

I'd do something like Schmaltz for Kaut + Bowers/2020 Col 1st/Meloche as the foundation of the trade. Potentially Jost but that would be a harder sell. I'm not really on board with trading for a player, but given Schmaltz age and being relatively cost-controlled, i'd definitely give up pieces for him.

Or if Chicago needs a goalie for post-Crawford, one of Grubuaer or Francouz could be included.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'd do something like Schmaltz for Kaut + Bowers/2020 Col 1st/Meloche as the foundation of the trade. Potentially Jost but that would be a harder sell. I'm not really on board with trading for a player, but given Schmaltz age and being relatively cost-controlled, i'd definitely give up pieces for him.

Or if Chicago needs a goalie for post-Crawford, one of Grubuaer or Francouz could be included.
I'd definitely do Kaut+Bowers for Schmaltz. I like both of those guys. Though if it were to happen, it would make more sense as a deadline deal since we're not getting a roster player back. We wouldn't have anyone to fill in for the whole season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad