Post-Game Talk: #29: Flyers at Blues, Thursday, December 10, 2015

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Man this team is fun to watch sometimes. Wish they could out it all together consistently, but the personnel doesn't seem to allow for it. When they play well, it's fun, but they're too often a step behind. It is incredible what happens when your defensemen can get the puck moving, though...

Neuvy was amazing tonight, but it looked like he was fighting the puck a lot. Also incredible what a back up with confidence can do for your team...

Can we put Provorov/Sanheim/Morin/Konecny in an incubator and get these guys NHL ready ASAP?

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I would love to know if Hextall has had any conversations with the coach about the Voracek situation lately. A GM is not supposed to micro-manage, but it is just so baffling.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
weird how i cant get the video to work on that link MSE so I can see the Giroux goal. missed the game.
solid win tonight against a very good team. Dallas is going to be even a bigger test.
did Ghost get any stitches from that accidental high stick?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Tarasenko
Kessel

To round it out imo. Rw is such a weak position. After that I guess you have hossa vrbata and Wheeler?

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
With 2:41 left in the third after Gudas checked someone "I'm right here man. Come at me. Come at me." I like him a lot more than I thought I would.

Giroux was great this game.

Voracek had far too little time, but played a good game. He had some really nice passes. Too bad he doesn't play with anyone who can bury a goal.

Looks like it was a really bad night in face offs.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I understand people questioning Hak's personnel decisions and I certainly do as well, but you're out of your mind if you don't think that he's going to be coaching here for at least a few years. I don't think I've seen the Flyers dominate the neutral zone and general flow of the game for years. The system is a nice change of pace and really seems to be working now that guys are buying in and doing what's asked of them. At this point, the only real complaints I have with him are the usage of Voracek and Vandevelde.

Manning was playing some awful hockey in the beginning of the year but he's been fine the last 10 or so games. Schultz, on the other hand, has been a mess, and should be on the chopping block.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's a simple solution if that's the problem.

MDZ-Gudas
Manning-Medvedev
MacDonald-Ghost

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Im also assuming that no one agrees a perimeter winger whose a well below average shooter is worth 8 million dollars. He's making 4 now but he's in ink for 8 and being asked to live up to it. An 8 million dollar pure passer should be putting up nightly tap in chances on any line, that's the bottom line. He's gotta put up ****in something. He's not putting up anything.

Schenn is making the same passes as him right now. He's got to steal his spot back imo.

Someone needs a helmet and a hug :laugh:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
With 2:41 left in the third after Gudas checked someone "I'm right here man. Come at me. Come at me." I like him a lot more than I thought I would.

Giroux was great this game.

Voracek had far too little time, but played a good game. He had some really nice passes. Too bad he doesn't play with anyone who can bury a goal.

Looks like it was a really bad night in face offs.

Hakstol put Voracek out with Giroux when it was 4v4, which must have been a mistake, and they had a few nice chances.

So what does he do? Back to the 4th line you go Jake, and you're also getting less time...

I just don't get it

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
On the road, there's logic in splitting G and V to make matchups more difficult, on 4x4, it's harder to set up a favorable matchup.

No love for Read? Or Raffl? Both have been playing better of late, and are being rewarded in the box score. Both fit Hakstol's style of play, and I think like a lot of players, are finally getting comfortable in his system and are starting to play without thinking.

As more players start scoring, they'll be less grinding of sticks, I'm just waiting for V's breakout game, after which I predict he has a long scoring streak once he relaxes out there.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not even saying he has to be with Giroux, Schenns been great there instead.

I'm just saying he shouldn't be with VV and Bellemare.

Umberger-Laughton-Voracek would be better at the very least.

Or better yet, tell VV to **** off to the AHL and call up either Cousins or Straka.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Very good !! He is very smooth moving the puck out of the zone

He did a good job when he opted to skate the puck out of trouble. However, he had at least 3-4 turnovers passing the puck out of the zone when pressured. He still needs to do a better job at knowing where his best outlet options are when dealing with the forecheck.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not even saying he has to be with Giroux, Schenns been great there instead.

I'm just saying he shouldn't be with VV and Bellemare.

Umberger-Laughton-Voracek would be better.

Yes! I think this becomes a line as soon as Laughton proves he can win closer to 50% of his faceoffs. That's the issue right now.

That leaves a 4th line of VandeVelde-Bellemare-White

You could also switch out Umberger for White on that line so White can take draws.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
weird how i cant get the video to work on that link MSE so I can see the Giroux goal. missed the game.
solid win tonight against a very good team. Dallas is going to be even a bigger test.
did Ghost get any stitches from that accidental high stick?

I don't think so. He get hit with the shaft just above the blade I think.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Medvedev takes too many chances on high risk plays which often gets him in trouble with the coaching staff.

For every nice play he makes in traffic it is usually followed by a bad one or two the next couple of times. He's gotta learn that sometimes is better to make the safe play & live to fight another day.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes! I think this becomes a line as soon as Laughton proves he can win closer to 50% of his faceoffs. That's the issue right now.

That leaves a 4th line of VandeVelde-Bellemare-White

You could also switch out Umberger for White on that line so White can take draws.

Yep.

Laughton looked really good in the beginning of the year, it's only when he started getting used as a 4th liner (and playing with 4th liners) that he started looking worse. I think he'd be a good match for Voracek both because he's a good skater and he had an underrated shot. Then Umberger or whoever else is there can just do the dirty work along the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad