GDT: 28/1/14 - CAR @ MTL - A Southerner's Guide to watching Hockey in Montréal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
But Columbus missed a ton of chances that should have been goals. Some of them were defensive breakdowns, but Khudobin wasn't as good positionally as he has been.

Khudobin has played 702:38 of the last 717:45. Given the compact schedule lately, that seems to be a heavy workload.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Even more angry about that than the fact they put Legolas and some completely out of nowhere in Tolkiendom elf in the Hobbit movies?

Legolas makes sense. He wasn't in the books, but the king was his dad, and the LOTR books weren't written until much later. Legolas WOULD'VE been there, Tolkien is on record as saying he wanted to rewrite The Hobbit after LOTR. Hence the Silmarillion (which, full disclosure, I haven't read, but it's on my list, granted far down).

Random elf lady, on the other hand, was annoying. She is completely pointless, shoehorned-in dwarf-elf love story and all. Can't imagine Tolkien was picturing that in the rewrite.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Legolas makes sense. He wasn't in the books, but the king was his dad, and the LOTR books weren't written until much later. Legolas WOULD'VE been there, Tolkien is on record as saying he wanted to rewrite The Hobbit after LOTR. Hence the Silmarillion (which, full disclosure, I haven't read, but it's on my list, granted far down).

Random elf lady, on the other hand, was annoying. She is completely pointless, shoehorned-in dwarf-elf love story and all. Can't imagine Tolkien was picturing that in the rewrite.

Yeah, the Hobbit movies were apparently made from stuff like the Silmarillion and Tolkein's notes, including unpublished stuff. Some of it is revised, but a lot of it is stuff Tolkein came up with that just wasn't included in the Hobbit.

There was a lot of complaining about the Lord of the Rings stuff too, but most of the stuff they cut or combined with other characters wasn't really all that important. You have to make some changes in order to make things work as a movie, and Peter Jackson did a much, much better job in keeping things faithful than most do.

Full disclosure: I haven't actually seen the Hobbit movies yet. Been too lazy.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I second winning for Bear.

Also, JFWP.

Also, CI makes funny GDT's.

Oh yeah, Montreal once had a NASCAR Nationwide Series race at a local track, just random fact of the day.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The Silmarillion is definitely worth reading, but it is a serious trudge. It feels like reading the Old Testament, which I think was the intent, but that doesn't change the fact that it is very very dry. Would recommend it though.

As far as khudobin goes, I too think that he is in danger of tiring out- his recovery and rebound control are not what it was earlier in the year. But it seems pretty obvious they have no faith in Peters.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Habs fans have to piss and moan at every non-call. If one of their glorious Habs players get flagged for a rare penalty, people faint. Expect plenty of boos if they dong score the first 3 goals.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Bonus: Sekera for Norris trolling.

Just a note to media types: When you're voting for the Norris, just imagine what kind of message you would be sending to the Sabres. Just imagine the reaction, relish it, and then cast your votes.

Anyway, I'm going to miss this one. Off to State of the Union related drinking.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Just a note to media types: When you're voting for the Norris, just imagine what kind of message you would be sending to the Sabres. Just imagine the reaction, relish it, and then cast your votes.

Anyway, I'm going to miss this one. Off to State of the Union related drinking.

#Fax: I have noticed that Chip frequently writes his Tweets using the "EStaal/JStaal" spellings that I first noticed were frequently employed here.

#Fax: Chip Alexander reads this board.
#Fax: Chip Alexander likely posts to this board.
#Fax: #satin

He hears you. He hears all of us. He is among us.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wonder which one of us Chip hates the most. Probably everybody not me because I could really use a job.

Most likely me. And I have no problem with that. Because I'm the poster the Canes board deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll troll me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not your hero. I'm a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Blue.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Khudobin plays like an aggressive Cam Ward. He uses his superior skating ability to retain his position, rather than a solid foundation of fundamentals. One way this is manifest is that Khudobin breaks from literally every other goaltender I have seen in that he does not crisscross the crease to increase its texture before each period. He likes having that smooth ice, which plays into his skating ability.

But since he is an athletic goaltender who is constantly moving, and since he has never played this workload in the NHL before, I think he is going to tire out. Now, the Olympic Break will delay that, but the last thing we need is to finally make the playoffs only to have our starter falter due to fatigue.

Ironically, the hope for this season may very well rest on Cam Ward. He doesn't have to outplay Anton, but he must play well enough that Muller will split the games between the two, if for nothing else to prevent Anton from exhaustion. But looking at the standings, we can't afford to simply toss away autolosses due to goaltending, and Muller has to feel the heat to take this team to the promised land.

If Ward can't get it done, we're riding Anton for the rest of the season and (hopefully) into the playoffs. He may burn out well before that, but unless Ward can start returning to form, there is no other option.

Once Cam comes back, the workload can be whatever Muller needs it to be. Cam Ward is a good starting goalie. Sweating his ability to be an okay backup ignores almost all of his career.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Maybe I am Chip? He did mention Semin's misses in a recent column, which I'm not sure are available on "traditional" stats websites.

kramer-woah.gif

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Maybe I am Chip? He did mention Semin's misses in a recent column, which I'm not sure are available on "traditional" stats websites.

No you did st. baldrick's one year and linked us all to your profile.

Yeah, I just super-memoried the **** out of you, what of it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad