Prospect Info: 25th Pick in the 2024 NHL Draft - Dean Letourneau C | St. Andrew's College 6'7" 214

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
No strong opinion good or bad on him, where they picked him, or who they passed on, but I feel like the success rate (in all sports) for prospects with "compete" questions/worries is really, really low.

"Compete" always seems like something you have by now or you don't ever have it. Doesn't mean you can't be naturally gifted enough to be an effective NHL player.

Reactions: EverettMike

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
2024-nhl-draft-25th-oa-pick-boston-bruins-select-dean-v0-0b3hfkjq6f9d1.jpeg

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Interview with Letourneau a couple of weeks ago:

His whole family is tall and athletic. His dad and brothers all 6'4+, His mom 6'.
His dad played Hockey as a defenseman. His mom was a Basketball player. Good genes.
Comes off as a grounded person in the interview.
Doesn't sound egotistical, just wants to improve his game.
Watch for yourself.

The Athletic also has a nice article on Letourneau:

Some highlight quotes:
Where most players his size are usually deficient in their skating, he was proficient.

“His skating is one of his best assets I would say,” Manning said. “There’s no level of lack of coordination for his size. He’s quite agile for his size. I mean he’s quite agile just in general, not for his size. He’s got great edge work. He’s got good agility. He can get in and out of spots. His acceleration is good. And then obviously you add in his reach and he gets to where he needs to get to whether it’s with his stick or his feet all of the time.”

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
As long as he's better than Joel Prpic I'll be content
I was just about to bring him up. Not to complain about the pick, I don't know anything about these guys, but they seem to have a preference for the unknown over players like Greentree who are more solidly projectable to be good but not necessarily great prospects. Letourneau could be said to have a higher ceiling because it's much more difficult to evaluate him. Maybe he's a unicorn, or maybe he's Joe Hulbig, dominating the prep school level because he's so much bigger than everyone. These scouting reports give me a lot of optimism but we're not really going to know for a long time.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So you couldn't do the Leafs or Avs Trades and still draft him? He was mocked in most drafts around the 40 pick.
He really wasn't , at least not in any of the mock drafts I looked at after the Bruins got the pick back, they all basically had him in the 25-30 range

Really happy with the pick, I wanted them to swing for the fences and they did. Funny with Utah jumping the B's because they though the B's were going to take Beaudoin, but i really don't think he was in play.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I was just about to bring him up. Not to complain about the pick, I don't know anything about these guys, but they seem to have a preference for the unknown over players like Greentree who are more solidly projectable to be good but not necessarily great prospects. Letourneau could be said to have a higher ceiling because it's much more difficult to evaluate him. Maybe he's a unicorn, or maybe he's Joe Hulbig, dominating the prep school level because he's so much bigger than everyone. These scouting reports give me a lot of optimism but we're not really going to know for a long time.

The fact BC recruited doesn't ease your mind?

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
He really wasn't , at least not in any of the mock drafts I looked at after the Bruins got the pick back, they all basically had him in the 25-30 range

Really happy with the pick, I wanted them to swing for the fences and they did. Funny with Utah jumping the B's because they though the B's were going to take Beaudoin, but i really don't think he was in play.
I was so happy Utah took Beaudoin, I may have slammed 3 Sapporos when the B’s picked Dean. I’ve been pumping his tires for a minute and really was hoping he’d be in their plans.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I had him in the early 2nd round but WTF do I know .....
Ok. But we don't have a 2nd round pick. When you're already at pick #25 what's wrong with taking the guy you want with Unicorn upside who -might- maybe last another 5 to 10 picks at that spot when you don't get to pick again until round 4?

Sweeney went for upside. This time he didn't play it safe and draft the guy who projects to be a '3rd line' center. If Letourneau hits you got yourself the next Tage Thompson, an imposing top line center who's a force of nature in the middle of the ice.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad